Old 10-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Tallahassee , Florida
batteries not charging

I have relitively new batteries in my 25 ft, 1995 AS. Just recently the batteries are not charging or not charging much. I don't know the voltage, just that they are weak, weak, and only last a couple of hours in running the fridge. What is the first thing I should check. Yes they have water and the 110 is plugged in, and the univolt is turned on, and the switch by the couch is turned on. I just don't know anything about how the univolt works etc. thanks, richard

Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
How new is "relatively new"? Are the batteries less than a year old? Most batteries have a date code stamped on top of them. What is the voltage across the terminals when plugged in, and after unplugging? How many times have the batteries been completely drained and recharged? It's possible one of the batteries has an internal "short" and is draining the other one, or one of them is not doing much of anything, and letting the second battery do all the work. In that instance, you could have a bad battery, corroded connection, loose connection.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You have to go to the BIG BOX and buy a cheap voltmeter, $10.00 to $20.00.

With good batteries and a working converter you should have over 13.5 volts on the batteries while the converter is on and after several hours of charging.

Disconnect the ground terminals from the batteries. Now read the voltage on each battery. They should be the same. They may be low but this test you are just checking for imbalance that would indicate a bad battery.

If the batteries check out reconnect the ground terminals and with the converter on read the battery voltage. It should be well above the battery voltage you read when the cables were off. If you do not see an increase the converter has problems.

Fully charged batteries with the converter on should be about 13.5 volts

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Tallahassee , Florida
replace converter

Thanks to responses. I am only getting about 12.5 volts out of my converter. I assume this means I would need to replace it. I see an Intelli 9260 on the internet. Would this be a good replacement. I have dual batteries. My trailer is a 96 25 ft. Excella. Is the Intelli, pretty much a plug and play as I see several people adding new fuse blocks, breakers etc.

Thanks, Richard
Old 10-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2222 View Post
Thanks to responses. I am only getting about 12.5 volts out of my converter. I assume this means I would need to replace it. I see an Intelli 9260 on the internet. Would this be a good replacement. I have dual batteries. My trailer is a 96 25 ft. Excella. Is the Intelli, pretty much a plug and play as I see several people adding new fuse blocks, breakers etc.

Thanks, Richard
Hi Richard,

I installed a new Inteli-Power converter last weekend. If you have the external fuse block like I did it is very simple. It is located on the front wall above the Univolt and below the front window and can be seen in the first photo here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-57567.html. The door and interior panel have been removed to remove the old connections from the Univolt and hookup the new 6-gauge leads from the Inteli-Power.

If your fuse block is built into the Univolt, you will have to do something else. However, since my 1983 Excella has the fuse block built into the Airstream rather than the Univolt I would think that yours should too. I can't think of any reason to go back to the ones built into the converter.

Howie's advice about getting a volt meter is spot-on, too. You will find lots of uses for one.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
12.5 volts out of the converter is way low. Do you have GOOD batteries on line? Sounds like you have a bad battery, possible shorted cell.

Disconnect the batteries and check them individually They should be the same and if just charged over 12.5 volts.

If one battery looks good insulated the cables on the lower battery and connect the good one and check the voltage on the battery while the converter is on. If that looks good you can run with just one battery or go ahead and replace both. Batteries should be replaced in pairs.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Richard,
12.5 won't fully charge your batteries and if you want a fast one, consider the Iota DLS but more importantly from your first question is about the fridge. I would not recommend running the fridge on DC for more than a few minutes to an hour. That is a huge draw on your batteries and not surprising it only runs a few hours even on a new battery. After AC, switch to LPG and only use DC when you need to.