Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Hockessin , Delaware
batteries for 2005 Classic

WE are getting ready to buy our third set of batteries since 2005. We are considering self maintaining batteries (such as the Optima type 27) since we have so many problems with batteries in the past. Does anyone have an opinion or advice for us. Thanks so much.
dreamer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

Are you considering other brands of AGM's, standard marine/rv deep cycles?

IMHO...I would make a better choice, the Optima's tend to be very charge sensitive and don't have the amp/hour reserve needed for RV use.

Are you using the original converter? Parallax?
Our OEM P-lax converter burned thru our batteries while still on the dealer lot,(left connected with no oversight).
A quality 3 stage converter is recommended for any AGM battery. We switched to this one and got a pair of 100ah grp27 Lifeline agm's.

Werk's for us..

Bob
Old 06-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer60 View Post
WE are getting ready to buy our third set of batteries since 2005. We are considering self maintaining batteries (such as the Optima type 27) since we have so many problems with batteries in the past. Does anyone have an opinion or advice for us. Thanks so much.
Optima is a very good battery. I had them in my 04 for about 3years. My converter fried them both because I forgot to unplug from shore power after only 3 days.

If you buy gel batteries you will need to charge them with a trickle charger while in storage. Your converter probably charges at a constant voltage like mine. It is not a trickle charger.

One problem I had was removing the Optima from the AS. The storage box door is almost exactly the same height as the battery.
Olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Batteries

My opinion:

I am starting my 7th season on a set of Sears Diehard RV/Marine batteries. I check them with a hydrometer at the start and end of each camping season. So far, all cells are checking good.

I replaced the original Univolt converter with a WFCO converter when I bought the batteries. When the trailer is in the driveway, I leave it plugged in. If the trailer is in storage for 3 weeks or longer, I remove the batteries and connect to a Battery Minder. During the off season, I leave the batteries connected to the Battery Minder continuously.

Almost all of my camping is without hookups. Careful use of the batteries while camping keeps them from discharging excessively.

I do have an Optima battery in my tow vehicle, which is typically driven once per week when we are not traveling. Frankly, I have not found that the lower self-discharge rate of the Optima justified the cost over a good lead-acid battery.

Bellingham, WA
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
that is 2 sets used in 7 years, or 3.5 years per set. Not wonderful, but not really bad either. Especially if you have drained them too low a few times. If you are still using the univolt converter the Interstate flooded cell deep cycle batteries do very well. I check mine and add some water every couple of months.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Batteries

We have a 2004 30' SO and are on our second set of Interstate batteries. The trailer came with the Interstate SRM-27 and when we replaced those after 4 1/2 years we went to the SRM-29. The SRM-29 are slightly bigger but will fit in the battery compartment with a little wiggle. Some owners take a grinder and grind about 1/4" from front of the battery compartment. I believe there are some photos of this somewhere on the forum. I am surprised you are having to replace the batteries so soon. We 3/4 time in our Airstream and have spent thousands of nights in our Airstream, we boondock a lot. Usually 4 -5 days at a time and batteries are lasting about 4 1/2 years. Currently planning to replace the current Interstates in the Spring with the Duracel AGM Marine/RV batteries available at most Sam's stores we have visited for around $100 each. Not that we are not pleased with the Interstates, just want to see how the Duracell AGM will hold up. Also the Duracell is a sealed battery that needs no maintenance and does not off gas while charging.

Here is a link to a very good web site that will give some information about the loads various electrical items will draw along with some interesting info on batteries. The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) It is very important to have a good DC monitor to see what your battery is doing. Most people do not realize when you are down to 12V you have consumed 50% of your battery potential.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Optima Blue, grp 27.....66ah rating.

Performance Data:
Open Circuit Voltage (Fully charged): Internal Resistance (Fully charged): Capacity: Reserve Capacity:
CCA (BCI 0°F): 800 amps MCA (BCI 32°F): 1000 amps
13.1 volts .0025 ohms 66 Ah (C/20) BCI: 140 minutes (25 amp discharge, 80°F (26.7°C), to 10.5 volts cut-off)

Disclaimer,
Only used the B/T once 8yrs ago, werked well as a starter battery, then it didn't.

Bob