Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Those batteries sound about dead. Might be time to just replace them....
A trickle charger is nice but you would need really a good equalize charge to beef up those batteries. You may want to look at getting a simple solar charger to keep those batteries topped off in storage.
Neat idea - what brands/types of solar chargers for topping off batteries do folks recommend?

Sandy

Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabud View Post
I always used the battery disconnect switch when I put her away. The batteries were always dead when I went to pick her up.
the lp detector is always connected.

a trickle charger is not for charging a discharged battery.

put them on a slow charge for a few days and see if they hold a charge under load when after they are charged. since they're so new you might get lucky. when you go below 50% charge the battery have a hard time recovering fully.

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
It's to bad AS doesn't address this type of battery problem during storage, in their manuals...

The parasitic load from any device, detector, circuit board, etc., no matter how small, will eventually completely discharge the batteries!

Batteries that have been completely discharged in this manner can take lots of time to recharge, depending on the battery charger available...trickle chargers, those with about 2 amp output won't be up to the job!

In my battery shop, I usually have to set the bench charger to the 40 amp setting, and wait several hours before the amp gauge even begins to show any reading...when the charger finally gets up to the rated 40 amp reading, I turn the charger down to it's 20 amp rate to charge the battery for several more hours, or until the battery begins to warm up...then it can be charged with a 10 amp charger that tapers off as the battery nears a full charge...this routine can take 24 hours...

Plugging your AS into shore power to use the converter/charger to recharge the 'dead' batteries can also be a long process - that initial period, trying to get the voltage back up to or above 12 volts can take several days, depending on the type of C/C you rig has on board...usually once you get the voltage back up to 12-1/2 to 13 volts or so, the charging process should rapidly progress back to normal...

If you AS is put into long term storage, it's probably best to remove the batteries and store them at home, where you can us a trickle charger to top them off every couple of months or so...

Ray
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
It's to bad AS doesn't address this type of battery problem during storage, in their manuals...

The parasitic load from any device, detector, circuit board, etc., no matter how small, will eventually completely discharge the batteries!

Batteries that have been completely discharged in this manner can take lots of time to recharge, depending on the battery charger available...trickle chargers, those with about 2 amp output won't be up to the job!

In my battery shop, I usually have to set the bench charger to the 40 amp setting, and wait several hours before the amp gauge even begins to show any reading...when the charger finally gets up to the rated 40 amp reading, I turn the charger down to it's 20 amp rate to charge the battery for several more hours, or until the battery begins to warm up...then it can be charged with a 10 amp charger that tapers off as the battery nears a full charge...this routine can take 24 hours...

Plugging your AS into shore power to use the converter/charger to recharge the 'dead' batteries can also be a long process - that initial period, trying to get the voltage back up to or above 12 volts can take several days, depending on the type of C/C you rig has on board...usually once you get the voltage back up to 12-1/2 to 13 volts or so, the charging process should rapidly progress back to normal...

If you AS is put into long term storage, it's probably best to remove the batteries and store them at home, where you can us a trickle charger to top them off every couple of months or so...

Ray
Interesting. We have used our AS all season charging the batteries from shore power or tow vehicle and just took them off for winter and put them on a trickle charger (after having them off the AS for 2 weeks). The trickle charger has been running for 2 days now and still shows charging as the status. How long can it take to fully charge them using trickle charger assuming they are not damaged? Just wondering when I need to go to more extreme measures if the trickle charger does not get them back to full charge.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I guess you'd have to quantify 'trickle charger' before taking a stab at how long it would take to top off your batteries...

What is the Amp rating of your 'trickle charger'?

Some of these devices are meant to only provide a small current to help maintain the battery at the 'float' charge level - some of these are only 1/2 amp (500 miliamps), or possibly 1 amp rated - this type of trickle charger is not meant to charge up your battery - only maintain it AFTER it's been fully charged by some other method...

If you're using a 2 amp charger, it may take several days to fully charge your batteries - it just depends on their state of charge when the charger was hooked up - once charged, this type of charger can actually 'overcharge' your batteries if left connected for extended periods, weeks and months...so unless the charger as a 'float' mode, unhook it after fully charging...then hook it back up for a day or so every 30-45 days, etc...

I suppose it would be best to get a 'trickle charger' that has enough capacity, amp wise, to charge your batteries, and then switch itself into a 'float' mode to maintain the proper charge for extended storage - these chargers are usually a bit more costly, but are far superior to the $15, run of the mill variety...

Good batteries aren't cheap anymore, and with the proper equipment to care for them, you'll be money ahead in the long run, as well as avoiding premature failures when you're out having fun...

Ray
Old 11-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #20

Rome , New York
Charging house battery

I've been going thru the motions finding out why my shore connect doesn't charge my house battery. After a few tests, it appears that the battery shut-off switch must be turned on while connected to 120 shore power to charge the battery. I fount this info on one of the Airstream Interstate forums, thankfully. I will also install a battery switch to completely remove the battery from the system when I'm not using the RV.

The radio is also a parasitic load on the engine battery. I removed the radio and severed the power line coming from the battery directly (yellow) and spliced the severed lead from the radio into another line coming from the accessory (red) fuse panel. Your colors may differ from my JVC radio. Now the radio will not be energized when evereything (engine and house battery) is shut down. I lose the station preset feature and clock but I can get along without those features.