Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #57
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Call the batteries T and B. Better yet, put labels on them. Three years from now it will come in handy. You can also call T "top" and B "Bottom"

All the wires that now go to the positive go to the positive of battery T.

All the wires (like the one) that go to the negative go to the negative of battery B.

You add *one* brand new wire. It goes from the negative of battery T to the positive of battery B.

Any time somebody tells you to "hook up to the battery", you hook to the positive on T and the negative on B. You never / ever hook anything to the jumper between T negative and B positive.

Keep in mind that the T-105's are a bit taller than what fits in the normal battery box (11" tall vs 9.5" tall). Dropping down to 6V batteries that *do* fit does not do much at all to add capacity.

When doing things like this, a 10% gain is often something you can only see with very careful measurements. To make a significant impact (where the change is obvious) you need to bump up 2X or so. Going from used / abused / old batteries to new ones is often a 2X change. To do that, you are off to "build a new battery box" land. If you are going to do that for the T-105's, why not go really large ....
(and change your trailer loading to get the weight off the hitch ... and ... and ...).

Bob

Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #58

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Even if you assume there's no difference in how much you can usefully cycle the batteries (i.e. an 80-ah battery is good for a useful 40-ah) going to something like a Lifeline GPL-4CT that's nearly the same size as a Group24 gets you about 30% more usable capacity. Based on that 50%-discharge assumption, a pair of 80-AH Group24s is "good for" 80 AH per cycle, a pair of GPL-4CTs is good for 110 AH per cycle. In actual use, the 6V AGMs will likely tolerate MUCH deeper discharges and come back for more with a decent charging system.

Now, they cost roughly 2x what flooded group24s do, but between the larger usable capacity and the longer service life from properly-maintained AGMs it may be worth it to you. It's what I'll likely do when the new Interstates that came with the 26U start getting old, unless something more appealing is on the market then. I'd rather avoid chopping up the battery box.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Going through this thread reminds me when we hit the road and not even using the heater, the batteries were dead by 5am. So I charged up when allowed at a National Park. Again, did not make it through the night. I finally had it as my husband said the batteries were new last year. I pulled out the batteries and sure enough, they needed water. After we filled up the cells, the problem was solved.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
wiring 2- 6 volts batteries to make one 12v system.
Attached Images

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
The converter that AS puts in is not good for dry camping for a few days, ....
Really? Don't you think a more accurate comment would include WHICH MODEL converter of which you are speaking?

MY Airstream came with a 55A WFCO converter and I leave it hooked up continuously when not travelling. It has never failed to keep the battery charged properly and has never "boiled" the battery. It operates in "Rapid-Charge", "Charge" and "Maintain" modes just fine. And I'm not sure what is meant as to how a particular converter affects "dry camping for a few days". The converter is largely out-of-the-picture for any practical matter when "dry camping". The converter only comes into play with regard to dry-camping when it comes time to re-charge the coach battery system, and even then only as it affects the rate of recharge.

I'm just hoping that all readers don't blindly follow all the generic advice posted in the Forums without confirming details such as this.

Additionally, there's a lot of "specifications" and "math" posted in these sort of threads which remind of the old warning-adage "Measured with a Micrometer....Marked with a Grease-Pencil.... Cut with a Hatchet".
Most of the threads promoting the expenditure of hundred$ of dollar$ purchasing someone's favorite converter, or battery or solar system is so anecdotal that the advice is actually useless despite that expenditure.

I've got a friend (who visits these forums and may even read this) who is a retired electronics guru.... who, due to his fascination and interests in things electronic, spent a lot of money installing expensive, specialty batteries (of a brand often mentioned in these forums) .... and designed special battery boxes for them, and adding a super-duper converter-charging system... simply because that's his area of interest and he wants the Best for his Airstream.
He is very proud of his modification and shows it to all of us friends.

I have no idea how he expects to benefit from that expenditure since he never camps except at established RV parks with full hookups.

Suggestion: Research your own system and your own operational-habits to discover if your behavior or your system will actually benefit by what is read here before following anecdotal advice given by strangers. IMO
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Wow, This is what the Forum is for people to tell others about their experiences with their AS and how they have improved their camping experiences.

There are much better products in the market to make your camping experiences much more enjoyable. Most people see the Forum as a place to research things before they make changes to their AS.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #63
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Thanks

Thanks to Uncle Bob, DKB and Carl for the info on hooking up six volts! The Lifelines appear to have just two connectors so I guess I will have to get rid of the two automotive style connectors on the AS. Hopefully I can clip them and replace with suitable connector. Thanks again!

Dave
Old 06-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Yes, make sure you get the heavier type like car battery cables.

I crimp and got some solder them.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #65
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Any time you go for more 12V "oomph" you need to look at cables and connectors. That's not only true at the battery, but also true back to your bigger inverter or whatever else you install. It's amazing how much efficiency is lost in skinny 12V wires.

Bob