Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Also, propane detector and subwoofer drain battery.

Do they have enough water in them? Have you checked the cells with a tester?

Gene
Yes they do. I just went thru my panel and discovered that even if you pull all the fuses and turn the switch to the store mode, the LP detector is always on. It draws 70 mA and I'm trying to figure out how long it would take to draw down both batteries, but I'm guessing 3 weeks could be enough.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Without getting into the shades of gray...

70mA = .07 Amps X 24 Hours a day = 1.68 Amp Hours (per day)

1.68 AH/day X 21 days = 35 AH.

A typical group 24 battery is good for 85 AH so thats a good portion of your draw but I suspect the batteries are starting to self drain and it time for a replacement...

Are the batteries 'bulged'?

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
Okay it could have been me....I can't promise I didn't put my switch on store. But....is there anything that runs on the battery even if the switch is on store? I'm thinking of the carbon monoxide detector for instance?

It's irritating when the batteries go so dead that I can't charge it by plugging in the trailer. Now I have to get the charger out and connect up the batteries to get enough of a charge to allow the master switch to work. Maybe I need new batteries -- how do I tell?

What I'm wondering if I really need another switch on the batteries themselves to completely isolate them when I "store" the unit at home.

If two batteries are good and fully charged when parked in warm weather, how long should those batteries still have enough power to at least run the use/store switch?
TankerIP.....I had the same problem with my 2007 Safari. I installed a switch in the 12v line that supplies the propane detector and I shut it off when the trailer is not in use. I have not had a problem with batteries discharging while the trailer is in storage since I installed the switch.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, at about 3 1/2 to 4 years old my original batteries went bad. I figured that is normal life for them. I always switch mine to store mode and charge them once a month. Mine are nowhere near dead when I do the monthly charge on them and I do it randomly, not on an exacting schedule.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Without getting into the shades of gray...

70mA = .07 Amps X 24 Hours a day = 1.68 Amp Hours (per day)

1.68 AH/day X 21 days = 35 AH.

A typical group 24 battery is good for 85 AH so thats a good portion of your draw but I suspect the batteries are starting to self drain and it time for a replacement...

Are the batteries 'bulged'?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. When my batteries drained, it was in the store mode and something else (maybe the subwoofer) in addition to the LP detector may have been draining the batteries. The LP detector is not run thru the fuse box so there is no way to turn it off, even in the "store mode." AS won't sell a wiring diagram, so I can't figure out what else is draining the batteries, which are only about a year old. If I disconnect the negative terminal at the battery, the will hold their charge for a long time. I've tried using an amp meter (I have a very good one that can measure micro amps) but unable to get any reading at all for current draw. If the LP detector is always connected and not run thru the fuse panel, what else is?
Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
BTW, when I pulled all the fuses I tested each fuse terminal for voltage. Strangely one was showing 12 volts on the fused side of the terminal. The subwoofer is on that circuit, so I suspect a capacitor was holding a charge. It eventually drained off to zero.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The subwoofer is fused at the panel as you found out. There's an inline fuse also and you could remove that to make sure it's not pulling any power—I put a switch in the line to turn it off. Who needs a subwoofer in a trailer unless you want to be thrown out of a campground?

You'd have to go to everything that is possibly draining the batteries and check each one and see what's fused and what's not. I expect you know that by now.

There are also the CO and smoke detectors—in ours they are battery powered, but did they hard wire them in the newer models? They've been doing that in new houses, so maybe Airstream started doing it.

After that, dead shorts may be the next exploration and the ohmmeter may be necessary. That's where I get lost.

I'm not sure if you answered my question in Post #12 about whether you've checked the battery cells—even new batteries can go bad fast. Your answer in #15 seemed to answer whether they had sufficient water. When the trailer sits on the lot, a dealer and customers can run the batteries down way below 50% and age them fast. This could happen repeatedly. What's the build date of your '09 FC? The trailer and batteries could be 2 1/3 years old. It wouldn't be the first time someone bought a "new" trailer and the batteries failed quickly.

Gene
Old 08-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
In the "safety kit" I bought at the JC store was an LP gas alarm. It runs on 12 volts, and must be mounted near the floor (since LP gas is heavier than air).

That might be a candidate for a "parasitic connection" draining the battery.

Tags
battery power