Old 05-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
I never had some of these issues I see lately with my 64 to 79s! I'm sad A/S is NOT the benchmark for quality it once was BUT what is these days?

Old 05-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I have no idea if it is the same or similar as your problem, but luckily I got to checking the water levels and noticed them regularly "burning off" water..."over-charging"...I got to reading on here and decided to replace with a multi-stage charger..I think it is 4 stage..forget now...after now over a year, my water level is entirely unchanged hooked up to 15amp shore power year round battery in "use" position.

Just a sad crappy piece of electronics to use in a wonderful trailer.

Good luck. I was able to do the replacement no problem and I am not all that handy

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
1. 2016 International
2. Original A/S stock converter
3. Connected to shore power for 10 days during Florida rally
4. Two Interstate Deep Cycle Group 24
5. Sat on dealer lot for a couple months without power - battery dates 10/15

Have made multiple trips under the same scenario and had no problems.
1, 2 - I think A/S has put a good converter in the Pendleton, but not sure about anything else.

3. I have had my 30 with an old one-stage converter on shore power for two weeks with no issues. I never had a problem with my 25 but I changed the converter anyway.

4. Group 24s are about 67 Ah each, I think.

5. One instance of deep discharge would probably not kill batteries, but might reduce capacity some. I have had automobile batteries in cars that I didn't drive a lot go flat. After a few times, the battery wouldn't recover and had to be replaced, but not after one deep discharge.

To your question about what size charger, I had one Group 24 in my 25 and I put in a PD 9260. That may have been overkill, but in two years I didn't have any battery trouble. I have since read that you should not charge wet cell batteries at a current level over 25% of their Ah capacity which would be around 32 amps for two group 24s, but the converter is providing more than charge current so a higher current may be OK, and it's not clear that all of that 60A would be poked into the battery. Many on here have had good luck talking to Randy at Best Converter to get recommendations for replacement converters.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Lots of threads on here about that. I don't know what converter you have, but the original A/S stock converter was a very simple device and has been reported to boil batteries dry when left connected for long periods.

Were they full before you left? How do you store it? If you have the simple 1 stage converter it should not be left for long periods connected to shore power. Different years of Airstreams have been wired differently. My 2001 Safari would continue to charge batteries from shore power when placed in the STORE mode. I understand that the newer ones don't do that but I don't know that for a fact.

Several things could play into that - how long have you had the trailer? How long did it sit on the lot before you bought it? Was it connected to shore power during that period? If not was charge maintained on the batteries? What is the manufacturer's date code on the batteries?

Al

Your comment about use/store switchmakes me think!

I'll have to double check mine - but if this failing old memory serves, I tried what you suggest before deciding to put disconnects on my batteries!

I never could quite figure out what that store/use switch is wired to do.

I think I measured the voltage at the batteries with the store switch both in the on and the off position and there was no change in voltage, indicating to that the batteries were still being charged in either position.

But now I am thinking that it is possible I didn't wait long enough when I switched to "store" and perhaps the measured voltage would have dropped after an hour or so.

I'll be checking that again - maybe I don't need to mess with my battery disconnect knobs after all!!

Presume there is no other reason to leave the use/store position in "Use" as long as you have shore power connected?

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
This is a bit strange (but I have a simple mind) Why would both batteries go dry during a 10 day trip when always on shore power? We have not dry camped yet.

Bad converter/charger?
Yes IMO, the OEM charger is bad IMO. It may not be the best design, and should eventually be replaced, but only a bad charger would cause this kind of damage IMO. [Edit -- unless the batteries were bad before the trip -- see below.]

Is there any chance that you have a short-circuit some place, or defective circuit board, etc., which was gobbling up the 12 volts being supplied, which the charger then mistakenly tried to replace 24/7?

No expert here . . .

"Sparky"

PS -- Did you ever confirm that the batteries were OK before you trip, as suggested by others here? Water levels and specific gravity for each cell with a hydrometer? Perhaps the batteries were low on water to start with, and/or damaged by the dealer by bad storage/charging?
Old 05-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Your comment about use/store switchmakes me think!

I'll have to double check mine - but if this failing old memory serves, I tried what you suggest before deciding to put disconnects on my batteries!

I never could quite figure out what that store/use switch is wired to do.

I think I measured the voltage at the batteries with the store switch both in the on and the off position and there was no change in voltage, indicating to that the batteries were still being charged in either position.

But now I am thinking that it is possible I didn't wait long enough when I switched to "store" and perhaps the measured voltage would have dropped after an hour or so.

I'll be checking that again - maybe I don't need to mess with my battery disconnect knobs after all!!

Presume there is no other reason to leave the use/store position in "Use" as long as you have shore power connected?

Brian.
In my 25, the USE/STORE switch was more like a main disconnect. It disconnected the batteries and the converter from the power distribution fuse panel. Looking at the schematic diagram in the manual it is called the "12V Kill Switch". If I wanted to work on something in the 12V circuits I could throw the switch and the whole 12 system (except for the propane detector) would be dead. But the btteries were still connected to the converter. I thought maybe it was a modification, but I checked the electrical diagram for my trailer and it agreed with the wiring. My 2002 Classic 30 Slideout is wired the same.

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 05-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
In my 25, the USE/STORE switch was more like a main disconnect. It disconnected the batteries and the converter from the power distribution fuse panel. Looking at the schematic diagram in the manual it is called the "12V Kill Switch". If I wanted to work on something in the 12V circuits I could throw the switch and the whole 12 system (except for the propane detector) would be dead. But the btteries were still connected to the converter. I thought maybe it was a modification, but I checked the electrical diagram for my trailer and it agreed with the wiring. My 2002 Classic 30 Slideout is wired the same.

Al

Al,

Interesting - sounds like mine may be the same way.

Seems AS may have made some changes over the years in how this switch is wired just to make life interesting !

Presume that if your "kill" switch is thrown to the open position that your breakaway switch is still live to operate the trailer brakes if needed.

Mine is - and the tongue jack is wired from the breakaway switch, so it is also still live.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
. . .
Seems AS may have made some changes over the years in how this switch is wired just to make life interesting !
. . .
I seem to recall reading this here in a number of threads.

FWIW
Old 05-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #23
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
But the USE/STORE switch is NOT like a main disconnect to the batteries when connected to shore power... that is my understanding from Airstream and they use the same converter in all models according to Airstream Customer Relations and it is a single stage... in other words when plugged into shore no matter what position the USE/STORE switch is in the shore power is still powering the inverter to the batteries...
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International Serenity 30 with Goodyear Endurance shoes, with an Equal-i-zer 1000 yanked around with a 2015 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4x4, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.92 axle, 6-speed auto WBCCI #6111 AIR #107335

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
But the USE/STORE switch is NOT like a main disconnect to the batteries when connected to shore power... that is my understanding from Airstream and they use the same converter in all models according to Airstream Customer Relations and it is a single stage... in other words when plugged into shore no matter what position the USE/STORE switch is in the shore power is still powering the inverter to the batteries...
Apparently correct for your trailer and all those with the pushbutton battery disconnect. I looked at several schematics and all that had the manual rotary disconnect switch labelled "12V Kill Switch" (up to about 2010) operate as a main disconnect. The change appears to be with trailers that have a combined DC distribution panel and converter and the pushbutton battery disconnect (USE/STORE) switch, on the schematic it looks like the converter is always connected to the DC loads in the trailer and when put in STORE/DISCONNECT mode, the batteries are disconnected. But several loads, including the tongue jack and breakaway switch are always connected to the batteries.

The moral of this story is to go to AS and look up the wiring diagram for your specific trailer and you have a good chance of finding the right information.

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 05-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #25
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Why all the comments... All I am asking is what would be the best 4 stage converter just to charge batteries while on shore power?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International Serenity 30 with Goodyear Endurance shoes, with an Equal-i-zer 1000 yanked around with a 2015 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4x4, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.92 axle, 6-speed auto WBCCI #6111 AIR #107335

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Why all the comments?

People here love to yack!

PS your first post opened the door pretty wide . . .
Old 05-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Why all the comments... All I am asking is what would be the best 4 stage converter just to charge batteries while on shore power?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I don't know if that was directed at me, but I was answering your questions and 8 posts back I suggested, as others have, that you contact Randy at Best Converter.

I'm out

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 05-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Why all the comments?

People here love to yack!

PS your first post opened the door pretty wide . . .
What else is one to do on a forum?