Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 12:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Batteries at 8.5 After Storing 3-4 Weeks

Hello, I parked my new 25FB for 3-4 weeks and left the inverter on, battery switch was in store. Now my battery is down to 8.5 so would like to know if plugging it into my home outlet will recharge them okay. Have I damaged my batteries in anyway?

Thank you in advance.
jonnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:40 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie3 View Post
Hello, I parked my new 25FB for 3-4 weeks and left the inverter on, battery switch was in store. Now my battery is down to 8.5 so would like to know if plugging it into my home outlet will recharge them okay. Have I damaged my batteries in anyway?
The inverter/charger may be wired so that it bypasses the use/store switch, in which case leaving it on means you have a load on the batteries. You should store the unit with the inverter/charger off as well.

Anyway, with the batteries drained to that extent, it's probably better to remove them and bench-charge them with a good-quality multi-stage "smart" charger, because what you need is what's called a "reconditioning" charge. Expect it to take at least two days of charging— each— to recondition the batteries.

And yes, you have damaged the batteries. Your five-year batteries will probably only be four-year batteries now. But with a proper reconditioning charge the batteries should work fine from now until the end of their (shortened) life.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Not only is their life shortened, but they will never hold the quantity of charge that they were designed to. You can live with that if you camp with full hookups. If you camp off the grid, you may not be able to live with the reduced capacity.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thank you for your replies.
Protagonist, today is Weds and I was planning on picking her up today and plugging her into my 110 at home until I head out Friday where I will be plugged into 30a for the weekend. Do you think that's enough time to recharge her? I dont have any other way to charge the batteries at this time. Thank you
jonnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie3 View Post
Thank you for your replies.
Protagonist, today is Weds and I was planning on picking her up today and plugging her into my 110 at home until I head out Friday where I will be plugged into 30a for the weekend. Do you think that's enough time to recharge her? I dont have any other way to charge the batteries at this time. Thank you
You may experience additional capacity loss by not reconditioning the batteries, but yes, that should be enough time to bring them up to full charge.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Turn off the inverter?!

We have a 28' Serinity with the same battery discharge problem. Dealer never informed us to turn off the inverter. How would someone turn off the inverter?
Krusty Buns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There is a switch on the inverter switch panel wherever it is located in your trailer. Mine is a black panel about 3" square located in the kitchen. It has a green light on it when it is on, and no light when it is off. It is a "soft" switch, that is just a place to push to turn it on and off.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Battery charge

2015 FC 28. I never leave inverter on, just propane sniffer. Have it stowed about 3 weeks and batteries are down to 12.1 volts. Is that low or average? If leaving stored for a month, should I disconnect the negative lead? I'm really a novice here.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
2015 FC 28. I never leave inverter on, just propane sniffer. Have it stowed about 3 weeks and batteries are down to 12.1 volts. Is that low or average? If leaving stored for a month, should I disconnect the negative lead? I'm really a novice here.
Sounds like you need to charge them. You are right at 50% charge right now.

When your unit is stored, if you also shut off the propane at the cylinders, propane can't leak inside the trailer, so you don't need to leave anything on at all, not even the LPG detector, and disconnecting one battery terminal will limit you to just the 5% to 10% self-discharge rate.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Batteries FC28

Protagonist, should I just disconnect the battery negative lead whenever I store? Will this help maintain charge? In winter I plan to remove batteries and put on a Battery Minder.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:15 AM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Protagonist, should I just disconnect the battery negative lead whenever I store? Will this help maintain charge? In winter I plan to remove batteries and put on a Battery Minder.
There are a lot of caveats to any answer.

If you don't have a multi-stage inverter/charger and a place to plug in shore power…
And if you don't have a solar panel that can keep up with parasitic drains…
And if you're going to store it for more than a few weeks at a time…
… then yes, disconnecting the batteries is probably better for you.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Batteries

Can that be accomplished by simply disconnecting the negative lead?
Old 08-15-2015, 06:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Verify the batteries are charged fully with a multimeter at the battery posts, turn the Use/Store switch to Store and disconnect the negative cable for storage. I do that anytime my AS is in storage even if I know I'm going out the next week. Takes only a few seconds to connect the cable. I even have the LP Leak Detector connection moved to the trailer side of the Use/Store relay so it doesn't draw power when in the Store position.

Kelvin
Old 08-15-2015, 07:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

With the stock single stage Paralax converter charger on my Airstream I was lucky to get two years out of a set of batteries.
They are literally battery killers particularly if your trailer is plugged in most of the time.
You need to upgrade to a multi stage converter charger. Cost is about $250 at Bestconverter.com. If you are handy and limber you can install it yourself as it is plug and play.
Even if you never boondock and always camp with hookups you need to watch your batteries. They can be hazardous if all the fluid is boiled off by overcharging.
Depending on the condition of your batteries before you got your trailer, you may or may not need new batteries. Usually they will stand a complete discharge without failure but as the previous poster says, their life will be shortened.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Battery converter

Anyone familiar with this converter as replacement for single stage in my new 2015 FC 28? WFCO Ultra III 9800 (55 amp) see pic if successful uploading.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
WFCO is a Chinese company, and their reliability is questionable. I would look at the Progressive Dynamics or Powermax units.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Wow! Impressive! Guess you guys are 'getting it'. You sure don't need me to pile on.

I would stay with the Progressive Dynamics PD-4655 for a direct replacement to the Parallax. They are a US company and build them in Marshall, MI. Nice folks too!

The Boondocker (silly name as you won't be using a converter much if you're 'boondocking') is made in China, just like the WFCO.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Wow! Impressive! Guess you guys are 'getting it'. You sure don't need me to pile on.
Lew, are you worried about becoming obsolete on here?! Don't worry, young man, Mark and I will keep you busy!!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Lew, are you worried about becoming obsolete on here?! Don't worry, young man, Mark and I will keep you busy!!

No worries! Just glad to see that some of my 'obsessive banter' is sinking in.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote