Old 08-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1968 20' Globetrotter
Kelowna , British Columbia
Batteries and tongue weight

I'm wrestling with where to put the batteries in my Globetrotter. It came to me totally gutted so there are lots of possibilities.

I like the idea of mounting two 27s on the tongue so they are accessible and outside but what about the tongue weight?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Canlib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The problem is that A frame space is tight with the propane bottles up there.

I've put a 2 battery box under the stove using the existing single battery compartment for ventilation.

I am also looking at a battery compartment on the inside front wall on another one. That would be where the late 70's dual battery boxes were and use their doors for ventilation. It makes a good spot because it allows for another battery or two, is out of the way, is near the distribution block on this trailer, and uses space that is otherwise cumbersome for storage.

Access is an issue but if you need to get at your batteries frequently I think you need to re-consider your equipment. A good charger with battery maintainer should only require battery checks every 6 months or so. The 'under oven' box allows sliding batteries out from the doorway. The front storage requires uncovering the storage locker. Easy enough to get batteries in and out and the check water levels occasionally.

bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
My factory setup was twin battery boxes up front, accessible from the outside, with the charger on the inside centered under the front window.

I've replaced the Univolt charger with a Progressive Dynamics and moved that to the front left corner of the trailer, then built a custom box for two group 27 batteries (so now a total of 4) in the center area, and tied it into the old univolt vents thru the front wall and floor.

Access to the inside box requires getting behind the front gaucho. Not easy, but only has to be done twice a year.

blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I move mine up to the front. I had one in the back and put two up front. It was a tight fit and had to make box for them. You can see it here post #76

As for the extra tongue weight. I just move one link up on the equalizing hitch chain. two links when my 40 gal fresh tank is full at that is under the front couch. I am putting air bags in the rear coils of the sequoia they are suppose to take a 1000 lbs.

I left the converter in the back and ran a 6 gage wire from the batteries to the converter. I didn't want to have to start re-wireing everything.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Do have the dimensions of the tongue battery box you installed on your 68? Does it limit you to the type batteries you can use?
ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote