Old 09-01-2014, 02:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Batteries and Converter From Scratch

Hi,
I am planning on using an Intellipower 9245 and two AGM Batteries, and am setting it up from scratch (everything is new and/or replaced). I'd prefer to split the batteries up - there would be about 8 ft. of wire necessary to connect them in parallel. I haven't been able to find answers to a couple of questions (from searching) so I'm starting this thread.

Is it "OK" to split the 2 batteries apart from each other?

Where should the 50 amp in-line fuse(s) be in my diagram?

Can you take a look at my layout/diagram and let me know if you see problems?

Thanks, MarkR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BatteryWiring.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	220408  

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I see a few problems with your drawing..

You should run separate (+) lines from each battery to your Converter/Charger(???) and each battery should have a in line fuse as close to to the positive terminal as possible...

You should also run the T.V. positive and negative (missing in your sketch) to the 12volt fuss panel not to the battery. The (+) line from the T.V. should also be fussed...

There should be (+) and (-) lines that run from your converter/charger to your 12V fuss panel. The (+) side of your converter should have a on/off or disconnect switch that the batteries hook into (not necessary, but a common good wiring practice)...

hope that helps

Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
I see a few problems with your drawing..

You should run separate (+) lines from each battery to your Converter/Charger(???) and each battery should have a in line fuse as close to to the positive terminal as possible...
So that's how I was going to lay it out and then I read somewhere AND watched a youtube video where they are saying, for the 2 Batteries to act like "1 Battery" and draw down equally (and I assume to charge back up equally), you need to pull the negative off one of the Batteries and the positive off the other(?). Am I misunderstanding or misinterpreting something?

And which actual (+) lines do I fuse?
Battery 1 - The one going to the Fuse Panel or the one going to Battery 2?
Battery 2 - The one going to Battery 1 or the one going to the Converter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
You should also run the T.V. positive and negative (missing in your sketch) to the 12volt fuss panel not to the battery. The (+) line from the T.V. should also be fussed...

There should be (+) and (-) lines that run from your converter/charger to your 12V fuss panel. The (+) side of your converter should have a on/off or disconnect switch that the batteries hook into (not necessary, but a common good wiring practice)...

hope that helps
Dumb question: Why do I want a disconnect switch between the converter/charger and the batteries?

Thanks for your help / input.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote