Old 06-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1984 31' Sovereign
Niceville , Florida

I'm just purchased a inteli power 9260 and I'm looking to install a pair of 55amp hr deep cycle Optima batteries and eventually want to bump this up to 4 batteries with an inverter. My question is... what is the difference between the blue-top marine dual purpose and the yellow-top dual purpose? Both are deep cycle/starting, but at my local auto parts place there is a 40 dollar differance between the two types. The yellow-top says RV applications but the blue-top marine trolling and auxillary. Both are 55 amp but the marine is 40 bucks cheaper. Has anyone installed either of these batteries or can anyone tell me the real differerence. Thanks

FOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
That's not alot of hours for the money. Check out the Life Line or Concorde AGM batteries. The Optima site explains the difference between their products.

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

The only difference between the yellow top and blue top Optimas is the terminal configuration. The blue tops have both standard posts (for automobile use) and a screw stud with a wing nut and lock washer (for RV or auxiliary power use). The yellow tops have only the standard posts.

I have used both batteries and have been very happy with them in my Dodge diesel trucks, my Airstream, and other vehicles and equipment. They are expensive, but they are also rugged, long-lasting, trouble-free batteries. They don't produce any corrosion at the terminals and never need service of any kind. Whether they are worth it or not is up to you.

I bought mine at:

The prices were reasonable, and the batteries were shipped to my door.

Good luck,
2012 New Horizons Travel Trailer (formerly an Airstream owner)
2008 Dodge 2500 diesel with Equal-i-zer hitch.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
They say the AGM batteries are really good .There is a recent thread about 6 volt batteries in series ,using 4 of those ,very good deep cycling properties .
You can search the recent threads on that idea ,Don't want to confuse the
choices ,optimas are really good batteries ,but more ampere hours and
charge life are very important .I would try to find out how long the deep cycle optima can last ,as over59 said ,check their website .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
We've installed the blue tops in our Classic on recommendation of our dealer and based on the good previous experience with Optima in our sports cars. My feeling is that you can expect to pay a little more for leading edge technology. It's nice to have a truly maintenance free product that's "as advertised".
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
One of the most overlooked advantages of using a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries in series (Lifeline GPL-4C) is the larger discharge capacity. The Lifeline AGM group 24 12V battery (80AH rating) has 149 min. of discharge at 25 amps. The Lifeline 4C 6V battery (220AH rating) has 492 minutes of discharge at 25 amps.

Even with a pair of group 24's in parallel, you still have only 298 minutes compared to the 492 for the 4C's. That's 85% more discharge capacity. Especially beneficial when boondocking! Plus, you have many more charge/discharge cycles in a golf cart battery than a regular deep cycle battery.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia

Check the testing criteria for automotive use batteries then check the testing criteria for marine.
The automotive battery, as I recall, must perform to the advertised amp output at a much colder temperature(0 degree F) than the marine battery(30 degree F).
Also the marine battery, in the past, had much heaver plate busses (the bar that connects the plates in the cell) together and intergral cell connectors due to the high current draw of the marine battries when in use (trolling for hours). Check that out first.

Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote