Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
NSB , Florida
bad univolt?

Sorry I've been out a little while.

We camped a night in out '76 Argosy MH over the weekend and had some electrical issues. It had sat for a while so it needed a jump. I moved it closer to my shop to plug it in for the night and put a charger on the engine battery. We had the roof air, stereo, and some lights running. At some point the music stopped and the stereo lights would flash every 20 sec. or so. Turning on one light would make another go out and the water pump wouldn't work. The next morning the battery charger was still on it's first charge light instead of fully charged like normal. I disconnected it and let it sit before reconnecting, after a minute the "check" light on the charger started flashing. Later I started it to move MH back into it's spot. It started ok not great. With ignition key on the lights, stereo and water pump worked...I assume from linking the 2 batteries together. Afterwards I charged each battery separately and out of the MH. The engine battery took a full charge over night and the house battery went up to "full charge" in minutes. My testor is loaned out so I limited on troubleshooting.

The meter on the control panel says the house battery is in fair condition buthe univolt was plugged in. So is the univolt not working and we're just draining the battery? Also was having a charger on the engine battery messing with something? If the univolt is working can I leave the ignition key on to charge both batteries?

Any help is appreciated. I'm really not looking forward to buying a new convertor.

thanks.
projector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
The original Univolt would be 35 years old, and would make a good boat anchor. Get a new converter and have 1 less problem.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
NSB , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan View Post
The original Univolt would be 35 years old, and would make a good boat anchor. Get a new converter and have 1 less problem.
That makes sense but it turns out I only thought it was a Univolt. It's a 40A Inteli power 9100. I just pulled it...and finally got my multimeter back. It's puting out 13.68 V like it's supposed to.

The house battery was dead a few weeks ago and I plugged it in for the convertor to do it's job. All seemed fine until now. Even if a battery is near dead, shouldn't the converter keep up with the systems on board?

thanks.
projector is offline   Reply With Quote