Old 05-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Prairie du Chien , Wisconsin
Bad converter?

Alas, it seems as if my converter is not working. AC works well at 120V at the outlets. But when plugged in, the fan immediately runs, often at variable frequency, and with the battery disconnect disengaging the battery, and the converter running with the sick fan whine, the output DC voltage seems to vary from 9.5 to as high as 12, not the usual 13.6. I have a Parallax 8355, and from what I read the converter is the lower unit. It does not look to difficult to replace. My questions to my techno geeks is 1. Do you a agree that the converter is bad? 2. If you would replace it, would you replace it with the same unit from Parallax, or rather the Power Dynamics 4655 which is more of a smart charger. I occasionally do some boon dock camping, and I have lead acid batteries--not AGM. Advice appreciated.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Navarre , Florida
I can't say whether your converter is bad or not but if you decide to replace it by all means use the power dynamics 4655. It's much better for your batteries life

Old 05-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Navarre , Florida
As far is AGM batteries go, I'm just waiting for my interstates to die and I'm going to go with AGM
Old 05-30-2017, 05:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I cannot answer the first question but I replaced my original converter with a PD4655. Prior to the change the fan in the converter ran often but since I made the change it hardly runs at all. Plus it keeps the batteries in better shape. And surprisingly I did it myself. I say surprisingly because I have zero experience with electrical issues.

So changing the converter has been good for my AS (and, I might add, my self esteem)!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Could be a bad converter. Check the battery though it may be bad. Disconnect it completely and check its voltages. If convenient take to a auto parts place to put on a tester. If it has a bad cell it could cause the converter to run improperly.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
My Parallax failed and wouldn't charge the batteries. I replaced it with a PD4655. Even if the Parallax is functional it should be replaced with a multistage charger. Its a good $200 investment.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
We may have joined the bad power supply club. Saw smoke from the lower unit about a week ago after connecting to shore power (with a surge protector in place that indicated the power was clean). Since then the batteries only charge when using our portable solar panels. AC works fine on shore power. Battery readings off solar are in the 12.3-12.5 range...with solar we get 13-13.5.

Of course this happened in the middle of Utah...2,500 and three to four weeks from home...no dealer anywhere nearby.

Add to the misery list the hot water heater has given up the ghost...gas and electric.

and the exhaust fan is stuck.

All under warranty (we're assuming) but not making for happy campers.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Navarre , Florida
Since its been a week when you saw smoke I guess nothing burned down. Not an expert by any means but I'd open the converter c/b, I think it's #2 on my rig and get in touch with JC as soon as you can.