Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
They're probably fine, but if you're going to be worried about them on the trip anyway, go ahead and replace them. It's not worth the peace of mind on the trip. The trip is supposed to be fun and relaxing, and worrying about _______ doesn't do that. (I realize it's easy to say that since I'm not spending my own money. )

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
we went on the Alaska caravan. we had some boondocking and cold, rainy weather. If you are cautious with the heater blower you should be fine. We shivered at Chicken because it was 40 and raining for 3 days with no hookup. We took our down sleeping bags that zip out flat and used them as a bed cover. I would put in some LED lights. Others on the caravan will have generators and you can probably get a charge if you need it. Prince George, Whitehorse, Fairbanks, Anchorage all have good shopping. The people who replaced tires in Anchorage said they were cheaper than at home. Since that caravan I bought a generator, which is not substitute for good batteries, but helps. I have a CPAP so I have extra draw and worry about running down. I think the deep cycle batteries are tougher than automotive starting batteries and would guess that your batteries are fine. If you stop in Jasper for a couple of nights with no hookup you will find out ahead of time. I would start out with the ones you have. as Rick said, you can buy them anywhere along the road. And a couple of hundred dollars instead of batteries you probably do not need might come in useful. Boondock a few nights and see how they do. Buy one of the little $20 votage meters and plug it into a 12 volt receptale on in the trailer. You can pretty much monitor how the batteries are doing as you go.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
I am the belt and suspenders kinda guy. I would get another set. Mount them in the TV with a solar panel and rig an umbilical for those times I want to let the lights on all night! If the old one get bad, swap them out and use the new ones as the house batts and the old ones as the party batts.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I'm Taking Them to Alaska

The SG tester they used was pretty complex with a couple of dials that aligned at the max in all cells. Then they hooked up a load tester that looks pretty thorough too. It made a humming sound as they conducted the test, but I couldn't watch it because it was out of view and shop rules wouldn't let me inside--I hate that. It was the manufacturer's technicians telling me they were good, so I'm going to trust that.

We converted all our inside lighting to LEDs a year ago, so they don't draw much. I think I'll hit the road with these batteries. Sounds like replacement along the way are available if needed.

Thanks for the feedback,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Batteries Lasted for the Trip

Just a follow up to my post on 4/26/12. The batteries did just fine on our trip to Alaska. We had three nights of dry camping, two of them very cold (27 degrees in the morning). All the LED lights I'm sure helped.

On the cold nights we piled on the blankets and turned the furnace down to 50. By morning there was still adequate power to warm the place back up and get on the road.

This January, I tested them again and found that I had one dead cell, so they were replaced with a pair of new Interstate PRO ECL Series batteries.

BTW: Interstate only warranties their RV batteries for 12 months (18 months for the PRO Series) now.

Randy

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote