Old 10-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Anyone use a Surge Guard?

I'm thinking of buying a Surge Guard to protect the electricals. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on purchase. They aren't inexpensive, are they a good investment? Plug in or hard wired?

Old 10-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Surge protectors cropped up way back when the Apple 2 e came out. They have long since become unnecessary as most new equipment has been designed around the need.

Now, Yes, under extreme condition you can get hit. But those conditions will most likely go right through any surge protection also.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Surge protectors...have long since become unnecessary...
i think the product crafty' is asking about is a bit of a different animal...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...tor-39986.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...sor-36800.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...such-9834.html

and the underlying issue (or question not asked) may be about low voltage supplies and the use of autotransformers ???

the really knowledgeable folks have posted WAY back in these threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...rmer-7248.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...lts-17431.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...-a-c-4490.html

just a guess.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
I'm thinking of buying a Surge Guard to protect the electricals. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on purchase. They aren't inexpensive, are they a good investment? Plug in or hard wired?
You are correct that they are expensive, but so are the electrical items in the trailer. I have seriously been considering one myself.
This is not related to the ones you are talking about, but about a year ago, we had lightning strike very close to our house, It apparently entered our house on the power line. Every electronic item in our house, that was plugged into a surge protector survived except for the direct TV receiver. Every electronic item that was not on a surge protector was fried except the major appliances. The direct TV receiver failed because the dish was pointed directly at the lightning strike. It definitely made a believer out of me.
regards,
Ken
Old 10-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Thanks 2Air, that's what I was looking for but to be honest after reading through all of it, I'am still not sure if it's truly necessary.There seems to be some real differences of opinion. Anyone else want to weigh in on this? I'm ready to spend the money if there is a real danger of frying my electronics.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
... I'm ready to spend the money if there is a real danger of frying my electronics.
went through the same thinking and willingness to spend...

the posts by rkm, hd, dtbw are pretty reliable and informative on the issues and gadgets.

and there are other threads with more views and posts on this stuff.

imo the most common risk is lower voltage situations in the summer during PEAK use or in poorly juiced parks.

and those risks involve the AC and charger/converter....

the auto transformer MIGHT help some with short exposures to low voltage but chronic low volts? i dunno, but think not.

i monitor this issue with a wall plug gizmo that constantly displays volts and hz...

and i have camped where the signals (low volts AND low cyclespersecond) induced me to just turn off the AC.

an INLINE whole trayla surge protector of the PROPER rating should be part of the a/s OEM build...

but that won't help with the common, insidious, and real risk of low volts.

catastrophic events like lightning or crazy spikes are hard to protect against,

and while that is a REAL danger,

they don't happen frequently enough to JOLT me into buying a SG...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Well it sounds to me like that money might be better spent on a new Traveler 500 china toilet. The Bravia plastic toilet in the Classics sounds like your hosing down a plastic bucket in the middle of the night.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
craftsman....I didn't think I wanted to spend the money ($260) to buy one until I spoke to two campers in a state campground we were staying at in Florida that both had major damage from a problem in the campground electric service that wiped out their refrigerator, TV and some other electrical appliances. The one camper from CA was moved next to my site while they were getting replacement parts for his RV. I tried to pick up a device in Florida and they only had the device that provide surge protection. As soon as we got home I ordered a Progressive Industries Electrical Managment System (EMS-PT30C) that provides protection for high voltage, low voltage, surge protection, reverse polarity protection, open neutral protection, open ground protection, A/C frequency protection, and accidental 220V protection. The unit will shut down the service to your RV if there is any problem with the service coming to the RV. It also displays the voltage, amps, line frequency and the error code of any problem it has detected. It's been working for 4 months of continuous camping and have not had any problems. The only issue is that you have to lock it at the campground electric service connection it so it does not get lost.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
craftsman....I didn't think I wanted to spend the money ($260) to buy one until I spoke to two campers in a state campground we were staying at in Florida that both had major damage from a problem in the campground electric service that wiped out their refrigerator, TV and some other electrical appliances. The one camper from CA was moved next to my site while they were getting replacement parts for his RV. I tried to pick up a device in Florida and they only had the device that provide surge protection. As soon as we got home I ordered a Progressive Industries Electrical Managment System (EMS-PT30C) that provides protection for high voltage, low voltage, surge protection, reverse polarity protection, open neutral protection, open ground protection, A/C frequency protection, and accidental 220V protection. The unit will shut down the service to your RV if there is any problem with the service coming to the RV. It also displays the voltage, amps, line frequency and the error code of any problem it has detected. It's been working for 4 months of continuous camping and have not had any problems. The only issue is that you have to lock it at the campground electric service connection it so it does not get lost.
Thanks for that information. Sounds like it's good for anything BUT a nearby lightening hit. I've seen a very heavily protected building take a lightening hit that literally blew a hole the size of a bowling ball through a concrete block wall and fried $100K worth of computer hardware. Jumped sideways from a nearby antenna's lightening rod.

99% coverage is still a good thing... Just remember nothing protects against every hazard.

Paula
Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Thanks for that information. Sounds like it's good for anything BUT a nearby lightening hit. I've seen a very heavily protected building take a lightening hit that literally blew a hole the size of a bowling ball through a concrete block wall and fried $100K worth of computer hardware. Jumped sideways from a nearby antenna's lightening rod.

99% coverage is still a good thing... Just remember nothing protects against every hazard.

Paula
Paula... When the big thunder storms are coming in I disconnect from the campground grid and go on batery power.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
You can buy a surge breaker or a Electrical box mounted surge protector for about $100.

When I had my electrical upgraded for my house they installed two panels. One out side with the meter to handle the heavy loads and one inside to replace the 50yr old one. both have surge protection installed.

The surge guard is a slick looking product and will do the job but is way overpriced for what you get.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
surge protectors

I purchased a Progressive Indurstries EMS several years ago. This is the unit and can be found here: EMS-HW30C

The EMS monitors the electricity that comes into the trailer before the circuit panel. It is most helpful to find low voltage that can be problematic with air conditioners.

Once, while camping in Las Vegas at Circus Circus in August several years ago the EMS indicated the voltage so low that the trailers black cable from the post was very hot. I then went to Campers World and purchased an autoformer. The voltage as indicated on the EMS immediatley jumped the 10% as promised, the black cable cooled off, and the air conditioner sounded much better and actually put out cooler air.

In the northeast and at older parks around the country, we have found the incidence of low voltage more frequent. I never travel without the autoformer. My wife in humer calls the autoformer, my "flux capicator".

If I were you, my first purchase would be an EMS then an autoformer. Both units perform the function of surge protector. I only use the autoformer when we use the airconditioner and the EMS indicates it needed to boost the voltage.

Mark
Old 10-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
We got the EMS 30C from Progressive and after about 18 months something happened and fried it while we were out, so I sent it back to them and they sent me a new one, no questions asked. I told them I didn't have my receipt and they said that was ok. Everything in the trailer still worked so I am sure it saved some electronics. A very good company to deal with. Highly recommended.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I know a lot about nothing - and nothing about a lot - which - I believe - makes me an expert in everything - but a master of none.

Having said that - the phrase "motherboard failure" has cropped up in my life twice - associated with the Airstream both times.

The first time was with the hot water heater - an expensive replacement - a sales pitch - "surge guard protector" - was used at the time.

I didn't get one.

The second time was with my laptop computer - another expensive fix.

No sales pitch this time - but I am wondering - "once bitten, twice shy, third time stupid"?

Maybe there is something to getting a surge guard protector?

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote