Old 11-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Progressive Industries Electrical Managment System (EMS-PT30C)
Does anyone know if there is a model that can be mounted inside so you don't have to worry about plugging it up each time and "losing" it in a campground?

2000 34' Limited with Sofa Slide
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Turbodiesel 4X4 Quad Cab Hensley Hitch Pressure Pro Centramatics
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I bought a 30 Amp in line surge protector from Camping World a few years ago. I plannned to use it if we ever camped in an area having lightning storms. So far I haven't even taken it out of the box, but I still carry it with me everywhere I go. I have the three light polarity tester plugged into my trailer in the kitchen area; This is the first thing I look at when connecting to shore power. I also have the "Kill-A-Watt" plugged into a kitchen outlet; I keep an eye on voltage, mostly, and check for 60 Hz. I think the surge protector was about $80.00 and if nothing else I would buy one just in case. A friend of mine showed me part of his [melted] after some sort of campground problem. It saved his motorhome.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:32 AM   #17
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
couple of thoughts.

leave your protectors outside of the trailer. they have movs in them (metal oxide varistors) they will literally explode and burn if hit by lightning or are exposed to primary 4000 and above volts. don't set your trailer on fire or expose yourself to the possible shrapnel.

the only other possible advantage to using one of the automated units is if the campground loses it's neutral connection to the pedistal you are plugged into. when the neutral is disconnected your trailer will experience 200+ volts on the high resistance equipment (the expensive stuff} and low voltage on the low resistance stuff (the cheap stuff like motors and heating elements)

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
Progressive Industries Electrical Managment System (EMS-PT30C)
Does anyone know if there is a model that can be mounted inside so you don't have to worry about plugging it up each time and "losing" it in a campground?
tslanier....Progressive does make a 30 amp hard wired device model # EMS LCHW30, with protection similar to the plug in EMS-PT30C.
2007 Safari 25' FBSE LS
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4WD Duramax
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #19
Don McKelvay
1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
I too have a Progressive Industries Electrical Management System hard wired into our trailer and have used it for about 5 years. I have been very happy as it has stopped bad electricity (high, low, reverse polarity) getting to our appliances and possibly damaging them. Given we were going to Mexico and expecting low voltage I also bought the Hughes Autoformer to boost low voltage. That worked well except we also had almost as many cases of high voltage and despite lots of suggestions of adding extension cords to reduce the voltage - and we used many - that did not work with the result we had to go without electric and resorted to our inverter so I could use the printer, etc.
I recently contacted Progressive to see if a separate surge protector placed at the campground electrical outlet would be necessary and they replied no. The only thing I do not like about the Huges Autoformer is it does not have a reset button so if the surge portion of the system gets fried you have to send the unit back to Huges. And, I still have not figure how to lower very high voltage other than buying another very expensive system.
Finally, some have said low voltage will not harm motors, etc; however, most professionals say exactly the opposite and that is why the PIEMS and other equipment was designed - better safe than sorry.
Don McKelvay
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
On a side note, if you're just concerned about small things like your stereo or a computer, many UPS batteries have built in surge, and even brownout protection. The brownouts and power blips will often do more damage to your equipment than the rare lightning strikes.

Besides, when the battery goes out you can turn it into a 12v to 110 converter.
My Brain Project and Tech Notes
airbassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I noticed the volltage at the parks
to be against low
voltage damage sounds good to me.

For lightning storms...I unplug for awhile
till the storm passes

kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote