Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Anyone installed a TBCM-40?

Has anyone installed anything like the Atkinson Electronics Trailer Battery Charge Module? Google does not show much about it or any competitive offerings.
This thing disconnects the TV battery from the trailer unless voltage is over a certain amount(alternator running) so that you cannot run down your TV battery by leaving the TV connected. It appears better than a relay because it still will not charge with the key on and engine not running.
I found it because I was browsing the Atkinson site since they make the solar charge/monitoring package on my AS.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Not a bad idea.....just a bad execution!

The specified 13.5VDC is insufficient to properly charge your trailer battery. OK for a float charge on an already fully charged battery, but if you are counting on this device to actually charge a depleted trailer battery....look elsewhere, as both the bulk and acceptance charges in 3-stage battery charging require 14.2-14.6VDC, depending on the actual battery type and specifications
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Thanks for the reply but I would never expect my TV to fully charge a depleted trailer battery bank. It could not do that from the alternator, in any event. Moreover, I never expect to drive more than 5 hours or so a day and that is not enough for battery charging deep cycle AGM's. My AS has the solar package and I will do very little boondocking. I evaluated a bigger risk is me forgetting to unplug the TV when I am not hooked up to shorepower, for a one night stay. On my TV the Aux power is always energized and I do not need the TV battery paralleled with the trailer batteries. This looked like an elegant solution to me. I was looking for any experience with the device.
Larry
Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Not a bad idea.....just a bad execution!

The specified 13.5VDC is insufficient to properly charge your trailer battery. OK for a float charge on an already fully charged battery, but if you are counting on this device to actually charge a depleted trailer battery....look elsewhere, as both the bulk and acceptance charges in 3-stage battery charging require 14.2-14.6VDC, depending on the actual battery type and specifications
It appears from their documentation that 13.5v is the threshold at which their device is designed to close the switch, and then it just passes whatever the tow vehicle voltage is.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

DKB, I agree that is what it says. For my use, I cannot see a downside, unless the quality/reliability is poor.
Larry
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Installed!

http://www.atkinsonelectronics.com/m...s/TBCM-40A.pdf

OK, I finally installed the TBCM-40A. very easy to disconnect the trailer power at the truck fuse box and put this in the circuit. Now the trailer connector shows no voltage with the truck not running and alternator voltage with the truck running. A nice little red LED on the device shows that it has energized and is passing voltage. If it ever fails, disconnecting it and reconnecting the trailer power to the fuse box is a 30 second job.
No risk of killing my truck battery if I forget to unplug the trailer now.

Larry