Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
any heard of "breaking in" method for new GC batteries??

So I replace the 12v RV/Marine batteries that we all know are "not all that", and due to a single stage converter/charger were shot after 3 yrs.

I installed some trojans t-105 in battery on tongue behind LP bottles. Rewired to bus bars with some #2 and installed Bogart TM-2030-RV meter with 500 amp shunt and provisioned for SC-2030 CC for when i get around to installing the solar panels (460 watts) on roof next year or so before we go full time.

When i picked them up the guy, golf cart sales place, did mention to make sure and charge them first as they come from factory with about a 75% charge. I did check date code D8, which is april '18, so they are still warm out of the oven so to speak. I put them on my 15 amp smart charge portable unit for the night and in morning check voltage which was holding at 12.8 after a hour of so with charge off.. did not check SG at that time but have and it show 1.277
after a good charge cycle.

SO after a good day worth of placing batteries getting cables cut, terminals on end, no-ox on cable end before installing terminals with the hammer crimp device, running cables, installing shunt, making sure all cables on Neg.side when through shunt then to battery, installing and wiring TM-2030 etc.

This was couple days before a planned trip out our local Airstream CLub unit 161 rally in lumberton nc that weekend.

<<OH,, a new 100 amp powermax 3 stage converter was also installed along with removal of old one stage unit. >> powermax fit like a charm http://powermaxconverters.com/product/pm3-12v-series/

So we make the 2.5 hr trip from raleigh to lumberton, note to self- DO not go down hwy 401 through Fayetteville EVER AGAIN, period, we get to the KOA at exit 17 and get in slot. THis was early afternoon and I had not plugged the convertor into the outlet but ran a short extension card out so I could plug it in when the meter was showing 12.5 or so and see how the charger worked and how long the batteries would last and plugged 30 amp in pedestal for the other stuff like coffee, hair dryer etc.

NOW being they are 220 AH's unit I was figuring they might last at least through the first night, no need for heat or ac, but man with some lights on, 12v TV, just regular load of reefer on LP, water heater on LP and Elec, they almost immediately dropped to 12.5 after some 30 mins of run time. So i was like damg.. that was quick.

I plugged in charger and it ramped up to 14.7 volts and amps ramped up quickly to 45 and just as quick started going down a .10 at a time clicking down and down. after about 30 mins the charger had dropped to 1 amp at 13.4 volts. So I let it cruise there for about 45 mins as we went to welcome dinner at club house with "the crew".

When we got back the charger had dropped to 13.2 and .02 amps so I unplugged charger again. with the same ish load it went for like 1 hr and had to plug in again.

So i got to reading around between seminars, fire pit fires, happy hours with snakes, drinking beer /wine and chatting with others, started seeing how new deep cycle batteries need to be "broken in" for the first 10-12 cycles to get a good depth of use.

on article here talks about this procedure
http://tinyurl.com/y8srhy8u

and i have seen other on other boat related sites showing this as well..

another place that does a lot of marine related battery system show another method that goes to 10.95 volts which i feel is too low.
http://www.amplepower.com/primer/testbat/index.html good reading here.

SO,,,, does anyone know the real truth on this and what is considered a good breakin procedure for new deep cycle batteries. I can say they are not all that great new and if boondocking would have to run genny for most of the time sun was down or cloudy.

(side note, trojan does not have info on how to do this other than to charge before use and they get better in some 80-120 cycles.. just sayin)

PS: helpful comments welcome.

I know what the manf says but I also know what the actually users of GC batteries experience as you can read in the above linked article. just look for other points of view from folks taht may have done this and how you feel it affected the life of the battery.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:12 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
How many amps did your Trimetric show that you used and how many amps were put in when on the charger? (This is more reliable for SOC than voltage.)
Old 03-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Voltage will show a drop while there is a draw of up to .5 volts over the resting voltage. It will rise a little after all the loads are taken off.

The charger voltage & amp readings are consistent with a full battery or close to state. The charger will try and give a full charge to the battery and as it get close to it, the voltage and amps will drop down to the trickle charge voltage and amps you described.
Sorry can't help you with the break in procedures. OEM Interstates just say cycle to below 75% but above 50% SOC.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
that is more along the lines I was thinking. Cycle to below 75% to 65% staying above 12.10 volts. the golf cart guys discharge to 60ish% and then full long charge and notice better distance of the cart in 10-12 cycles.

I was seeing that, with load of 10 amps volts at 12.10, turn off load and volts go back to 12.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Voltage will show a drop while there is a draw of up to .5 volts over the resting voltage. It will rise a little after all the loads are taken off.

The charger voltage & amp readings are consistent with a full battery or close to state. The charger will try and give a full charge to the battery and as it get close to it, the voltage and amps will drop down to the trickle charge voltage and amps you described.
Sorry can't help you with the break in procedures. OEM Interstates just say cycle to below 75% but above 50% SOC.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
it needs to cycle at least 5 times or so to get a good feel for the amps in and out. the meter shows Instantaneous amp draw and volts but takes a while to get %of charge, amps in and out.. still learning as well the meter and had to take the positive cable off to reposition temp sensor for SC-2030 wiping out all info.. I was using a 400 watt inverter with 95 watt load plus some led light to get a 10.5 amp draw which was running for about 6 hrs or or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
How many amps did your Trimetric show that you used and how many amps were put in when on the charger? (This is more reliable for SOC than voltage.)