Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
airflow for converter

in our quest to increase floorspace in our 22' international, we decided to remove the rear bench (had already removed the front bench over the summer. the dilema became what to do with the converter. after looking at several options we decided on the one pictured below. basically i simply shortened the bench base holding the converter to 8", cut off the top brackets for the bench, moved it to just aft of the wheel well and fashioned a cover using the leftover aluminum after shortening the bench base. the propane detector i moved to the opening where the wires used to come through the wheel well cover to the converter.

in all we are extremely please with the results - the trailer is now much roomier and open. as far as seating, plan to get two of the new folding recliner chairs. they are much more comfortable than the previous benches, can be moved wherever you want them, inside or out and can be folded up and put away when not needed. next step will be to cut the table into somewhat of a half moon shape, making it more comfortable to sit at.

the only question i have is how much airflow does the converter need. you can see the converter box sits a little higher than the wheel well. i originally intended to leave it open for airflow but then decided to cover it to keep objects from falling into it. is this still allowing enough airflow to keep the converter from heating up too much? there is actually a fair amount of open space behind the wheel well cover itself, and because i used the original mount for the converter there is open space beneath though to the back of the converter. appreciate any input. jk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_111708_003.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	71577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_111908_007.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	71578  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_111908_004.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	71579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_111908_006.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	71580  

JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If the box is closed tight, I wouldn't think that is enough air flow. You might attach the top with some spacers to keep it open about a half inch, and that would probably do OK.

And then, you could just try it like it is for a few hours, and see if the box gets hot.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
good advice steve,thanks. it does have about an inch and a half open space on the bottom. think i will raise the top about a half inch as well, as you suggested.

will be hooking to power this weekend. will see how much it heats up. jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote