Old 09-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Dunno, Gene, I was a little concerned, but after 2 years.....so far, so good. No leaks, no cracks, no deformation. They don't bounce around too much in the front. If they were rear batts, I'd be more concerned. I take them out every fall, so I inspect them. If I see anything hokey, I'll be cuttin' like you did.

Suppose I could fashion a ramp too, that would just lay on the compartment floor.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Same, same. The 29s Just barely fit and you have to be very careful when removing them that the positive post doesn't contact the tang for the lock latch. They don't sit all the way in...by that I mean that the end sits up on the door frame. I put a sheet cut from milk jugs to protect the case and hel in sliding it in and out. Told ya it was shoehorned in...but it has worked fine for 2 years now.

Someone on here had cut away the door frame a bit, so their batts would sit flat on the floor, but I haven't seen a need to do that. At least, not yet. If you pack carefully, there's still plenty of room for the cables and the little 7 amp charge controller for my 15 watt trickle solar panel in there too. The length and height are the concerns, not width. I also have fitted nylon straps around the case to assist in getting them out, as there's not much room for hands in there.
BTW, They're Interstates...the only group 29s I could find. No way 31s would fit.
My grp 27s fit just as you say yours do with the exception that mine drop in to the floor. I am always concerned about the + terminal hitting the door frame. That would leave a nasty mark.

Are all batteries of the same group, the same exact dimensions?

Ken

Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sorry if we're bordering on hijacking here. W7, the only thing that can spark and arc on my Interstates is the secondary positive post with the wing nut. After making contact one time, I looked around the garage for a fix. I came up with the little white rubber nipply things that you put on the ends of the wire closet organizers. I put one on each wing of the nut and one on the threaded post itself. Works well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote