Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
AGM Battery Care Info...

I've joined in several threads regarding batteries in the past...I recently supplied some Lifeline AGM batteries to a friend for his sailboat...the following information was included with each battery, and may be helpful to those that already have AGM's, or are thinking of buying them as replacements...

LIFELINE…the heart of your system

OWNER’S MANUAL

Congratulations on the purchase of a new Lifeline battery! Lifeline has been the leading name in AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries since 1993. The quality and durability of the Lifeline battery series has been proven again and again in military and commercial applications worldwide.

The AGM difference:

* 20% faster recharge than a conventional vented battery and gel cells.
* 100% maintenance free. No additional of water needed.
* Classified as ‘NONSPILLABLE” and can be shipped HAZMAT Exempt by any means.
* Tested to stringent military shock and vibration standards.
* Minimal gas release under normal charging conditions.

Sizing a battery bank:

It is always good to have twice the battery capacity that an application requires. This will promote long battery life and also reduce the amount of recharge time.

Battery Charging:

WARNING:
All batteries must be adequately vented during charging to avoid accumulation of explosive hydrogen gasses. Never install or charge in a sealed container or room.

The following charging voltages are recommended for maximum battery life for all Lifeline models.

• ..................Volts per cell...... 6 Volt battery.......12 volt batt
  • Bulk/Absorb***2.37 - 2.40*****7.10 - 7.20 ******14.2 - 14.4
  • Float ********2.20 - 2.23 *****6.60 - 6.70 ******13.2 - 13.4
NOTES:
1. Use only constant potential (constant voltage) chargers.
2. For 24 volt systems, multiply 12 volt setting by 2.
3. Charge voltage should be adjusted if battery temperature varies by more than 10 degrees F from 77 degrees F. Consult website for further guidance (www.lifeline batteries.com)

Conditioning/Equalizing Charger:

Charge at 15.5 volts for 8 hours.

Conditioning/equalizing should only be done when the battery is showing symptoms of capacity loss. If conditioning/equalizing is necessary, first go through the normal charge cycle. Once the battery is fully charged, start the conditioning/equalizing charge.

NOTE: For maximum life, batteries must be periodically recharged to 100% capacity. Continually recharging to less than 100% may result in premature capacity loss. It is recommended that batteries be recharged to 100% at least every 5-10 cycles.

For Inverter/Charger applications:

Refer to the Inverter/Charger manual to ensure the correct voltages have been set.

Knowing when to recharge:

As a general rule, batteries should be recharged immediately after use or when they reach approximately 50% depth of discharge. Discharging to 60% or even 100% occasionally will not harm the batteries, but if this is done frequently it will shorten the battery’s overall life. If batteries are discharged beyond 50%, it is important to recharge as soon as possible (same day if possible). The depth of discharge can be estimated by measuring the “open circuit voltage” as shown in the following table. Note that the battery must be at rest with no loads for at least 4 hours to obtain an accurate “open circuit voltage”.

Depth of Dis'chg .... Volts/cell ....6 V Battery .... 12V Batt
********0% *******2.13V******6.40V********12.8V
*****************or more****or more******or more
********25% ******2.08V******6.25V********12.5V
********50% ******2.03V******6.10V********12.2V
********75% ******1.98V******5.95V********11.9V
*******100% ******1.93V******5.80V********11.6V
******************or less*****or less********or less

Multiple Batteries:

If there is more than one battery in the battery bank, the following guidelines should be used:

* Always use batteries of identical make, model and with the same manufacturing date.
* Make sure the battery cable is not undersized for the battery system.
* Make sure the battery cables are connected to the terminals correctly. If unsure, professional assistance is recommended.

Storage:

Follow these guidelines if the battery is to be stored for an extended period of time (more than a month).

* Fully charge the battery before putting it in storage and store in a cool place.
* It is not necessary to leave the battery on charge while in storage.
* Disconnect the negative battery cable. This will prevent inadvertent discharging of the battery that may lead to a complete discharge.
* Boost charge the battery every 3 months while in storage to ensure maximum battery life.

Warning:

* Risk of fire, explosion or burns.
* Do not disassemble, heat above 75 degrees C, or incinerate.

Warranty:

Lifeline batteries have a 5-year pro-rated warranty with a 1-year free replacement (12-month pro-rated warranty in applications other than marine or RV). The warranty period starts at the time of purchase. If the original receipt is lost, the warranty will be based on the battery date code. The warranty covers defects in material, workmanship and failure, except where such failure is due to abuse, neglect or breakage. The warranty does not cover consequential damage or injury, discharged batteries, rental, freight or installation costs. Replacement batteries will be provided at the time the warranty is requested. Credit will not be issued after the purchase of a new battery. For warranty questions, please contact Lifeline Inc at (800)527-3224.

Document No. 6-0104, Rev A
Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Good information, and timely. I just got two AGM's that didn't have any instructions of any kind. I hope to install them tomorrow. Thanks for posting.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Oem converter/battery charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
I've joined in several threads regarding batteries in the past...I recently supplied some Lifeline AGM batteries to a friend for his sailboat...the following information was included with each battery, and may be helpful to those that already have AGM's, or are thinking of buying them as replacements...

LIFELINE…the heart of your system

OWNER’S MANUAL

Congratulations on the purchase of a new Lifeline battery! Lifeline has been the leading name in AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries since 1993. The quality and durability of the Lifeline battery series has been proven again and again in military and commercial applications worldwide.

The AGM difference:

* 20% faster recharge than a conventional vented battery and gel cells.
* 100% maintenance free. No additional of water needed.
* Classified as ‘NONSPILLABLE” and can be shipped HAZMAT Exempt by any means.
* Tested to stringent military shock and vibration standards.
* Minimal gas release under normal charging conditions.

Sizing a battery bank:

It is always good to have twice the battery capacity that an application requires. This will promote long battery life and also reduce the amount of recharge time.

Battery Charging:

WARNING: All batteries must be adequately vented during charging to avoid accumulation of explosive hydrogen gasses. Never install or charge in a sealed container or room.

The following charging voltages are recommended for maximum battery life for all Lifeline models.

• ..................Volts per cell...... 6 Volt battery.......12 volt batt
  • Bulk/Absorb***2.37 - 2.40*****7.10 - 7.20 ******14.2 - 14.4
  • Float ********2.20 - 2.23 *****6.60 - 6.70 ******13.2 - 13.4
NOTES:
1. Use only constant potential (constant voltage) chargers.
2. For 24 volt systems, multiply 12 volt setting by 2.
3. Charge voltage should be adjusted if battery temperature varies by more than 10 degrees F from 77 degrees F. Consult website for further guidance (www.lifeline batteries.com)

Conditioning/Equalizing Charger:

Charge at 15.5 volts for 8 hours.

Conditioning/equalizing should only be done when the battery is showing symptoms of capacity loss. If conditioning/equalizing is necessary, first go through the normal charge cycle. Once the battery is fully charged, start the conditioning/equalizing charge.

NOTE: For maximum life, batteries must be periodically recharged to 100% capacity. Continually recharging to less than 100% may result in premature capacity loss. It is recommended that batteries be recharged to 100% at least every 5-10 cycles.

For Inverter/Charger applications:

Refer to the Inverter/Charger manual to ensure the correct voltages have been set.

Knowing when to recharge:

As a general rule, batteries should be recharged immediately after use or when they reach approximately 50% depth of discharge. Discharging to 60% or even 100% occasionally will not harm the batteries, but if this is done frequently it will shorten the battery’s overall life. If batteries are discharged beyond 50%, it is important to recharge as soon as possible (same day if possible). The depth of discharge can be estimated by measuring the “open circuit voltage” as shown in the following table. Note that the battery must be at rest with no loads for at least 4 hours to obtain an accurate “open circuit voltage”.

Depth of Dis'chg .... Volts/cell ....6 V Battery .... 12V Batt
********0% *******2.13V******6.40V********12.8V
*****************or more****or more******or more
********25% ******2.08V******6.25V********12.5V
********50% ******2.03V******6.10V********12.2V
********75% ******1.98V******5.95V********11.9V
*******100% ******1.93V******5.80V********11.6V
******************or less*****or less********or less

Multiple Batteries:

If there is more than one battery in the battery bank, the following guidelines should be used:

* Always use batteries of identical make, model and with the same manufacturing date.
* Make sure the battery cable is not undersized for the battery system.
* Make sure the battery cables are connected to the terminals correctly. If unsure, professional assistance is recommended.

Storage:

Follow these guidelines if the battery is to be stored for an extended period of time (more than a month).

* Fully charge the battery before putting it in storage and store in a cool place.
* It is not necessary to leave the battery on charge while in storage.
* Disconnect the negative battery cable. This will prevent inadvertent discharging of the battery that may lead to a complete discharge.
* Boost charge the battery every 3 months while in storage to ensure maximum battery life.

Warning:

* Risk of fire, explosion or burns.
* Do not disassemble, heat above 75 degrees C, or incinerate.

Warranty:

Lifeline batteries have a 5-year pro-rated warranty with a 1-year free replacement (12-month pro-rated warranty in applications other than marine or RV). The warranty period starts at the time of purchase. If the original receipt is lost, the warranty will be based on the battery date code. The warranty covers defects in material, workmanship and failure, except where such failure is due to abuse, neglect or breakage. The warranty does not cover consequential damage or injury, discharged batteries, rental, freight or installation costs. Replacement batteries will be provided at the time the warranty is requested. Credit will not be issued after the purchase of a new battery. For warranty questions, please contact Lifeline Inc at (800)527-3224.

Document No. 6-0104, Rev A
Does the Parralax converter meet the conditions described in data supplied with AGM ? According to my info the oem converter from AS is not a multi function converter/battery charger?
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrick51 View Post
Does the Parralax converter meet the conditions described in data supplied with AGM ? According to my info the oem converter from AS is not a multi function converter/battery charger?
Information from the Parallax web page (Parallax Power Supply) is sparse on the subject of AGM batteries used with their products. Their FAQ indicates that the converter delivers a constant 13.2-13.8 volt "float" charge, and suggests that you check with the battery manufacturer to see if your battery is compatible with that voltage. In other words, "Don't ask us; we don't know, either." Since the converter only provides a float charge, I'd believe that the converter will keep house batteries charged if they're already charged, but will not recharge depleted batteries.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
You may want to call Randy at Best Converter. He knows his stuff and I am sure he will help you on your Parallax questions. I replaced my Parallax converter with a PowerMax when I added AGM batteries.

bestconverter.com
Old 02-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Look into the IOTA converter model# DLS-55IQ4. It is a fully automatic 3-stage charger with a charging profile that closely resembles what Lifeline AGMs require to stay happy. I can't address what other brand AGMs might require.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The numbers for the Lifeline match the numbers for the PD-9245. I have been using this combination for years and have been very satisfied with the performance.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Look into the IOTA converter model# DLS-55IQ4. It is a fully automatic 3-stage charger with a charging profile that closely resembles what Lifeline AGMs require to stay happy. I can't address what other brand AGMs might require.
Hi Lew,
I live in Gresham and would like to chat with you about solar install and change out of converter on my yet to arrive 25 fly/cld. EMAIL: okpete42
@aol.com
Pete
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote