Old 07-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Adding Xantrex Panel and Converter in 1973 unit - Have Questions

I received a great birthday present this year - my 60th by the way. My wife conspired with my son-in-law to find out what charger converter and control panel I had been looking into buying from Best Converters. Thanks to Randy at BC they were able to figure out that I was looking at the Xantrex XADC P30 fuse panel and the XADC 6012 Converter. So I am finally able to spend some time hooking things up. Here are the specific products that I have:

XADC 60A Converter/Charger
XADC 30A Distribution Center

The overall unit is very compact and nice looking. I am not constrained by the previous interior since my unit was mostly gutted. I do intend to put it near the front door since that is where the original converter was located. I do like the idea of having it be more accessible that the original one was too.

I find in studying the DC wiring diagram in my service manual and looking at the existing fuse panel that I have some unresolved questions relative to the new hook up. My unit was largely gutted when I bought it so some of the orignal hookup was not there for me to look at either. After careful review of the diagram and the old fuse panel I drew up the wiring diagram that is in the attached PDF file. I believe that it accurately shows what is in my wiring diagram with the exception that I have added the Xantrex components where they logically seem to go. So here are some issues and questions that I have at the moment:

1.) Do I really need the 50amp fuses on the negative side of the components? Somehow it seems to me that I should be able to just tie all the ground connections directly together without any fuses. Were they perhaps there to protect from wrong polarity hookups?

2.) When I installed 3 new Fantastic fans I decided to wire them up on their own circuit. I intend to connect them to their own 20amp DC fuse in the new Xantrex panel since I have room for more fuses than before. I can't imagine why that would be a problem but please let me know if you can think of a reason.

3.) Notice that I have a factory installed Propane powered DC generator. I don't know how much I will actually use it but I would like to at least have it hooked up correctly. The way it hooks to the so called "Main and Charge Circuit" has me wondering how the voltage level that it puts out will be regulated. I suppose that the connection to the control panel is for the purpose of monitoring voltage level but I don't know for sure. Any thoughts on this?

4.) The two fuses to the right of the converter in my diagram were originally glass fuses on the actual fuse board. I am wondering what to replace them with since there doesn't seem to be anything in my Xantrex panel that fulfills this function. I could visualize using a 50amp resetable circuit breaker like the following:

RV PARTS OUTLET

This particular product is also available in 20amp and 30amp sizes but does not seem to be available in a 40amp version. Do I still need these two fuses in the arrangement that they are in? What kind should I use?

5.) I have not yet gone hunting for the 25amp fuse shown near the tow vehicle connector. Is that still needed? What type should I expect to find and what type would be best to have there?

6.) Wouldn't it be better for me to install a new sound system on its own fuse rather than connecting it to the Main and Charging Circuit?

7.) There wasn't any battery disconnect switch in the original design. How important is that? Should I consider adding one?

Thanks in advance for any help. I will try to take some good photos of the process and can also publish a new wiring diagram once I figure out what it should look like.

Mlcolm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DC Electrical.pdf (21.5 KB, 93 views)

Old 07-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
How about this connection diagram?

Is there any reason that the connections described in the attached PDF file would not work just fine for the new installation? Notice that I would disconnect all of the DC circuits from the main charging line in favor of putting them all on their own 20 amp fuses in the control panel. As I understand it the new Xantrex charger/converter has its own reverse polarity protection. I still think that the 50amp fuses on the negative side might have been there for reverse polarity protection. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Malcolm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DC Electrical New.pdf (17.3 KB, 160 views)

Old 07-04-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I still think that the 50amp fuses on the negative side might have been there for reverse polarity protection. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Malcolm
It is there in case the positive terminal of the trailer battery contacts ground, it would be the wiring's only protection if that happened.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
It is there in case the positive terminal of the trailer battery contacts ground, it would be the wiring's only protection if that happened.
Terry,

Thanks for the response...

I think I see your point. From what I can tell though this does not seem to be a common way of hooking up new systems. I guess that having the fuse on either the negative or positive side of an item could offer more or less the same protection. That being the case would it then be better to connect a 50amp fuse to the negative side of the battery so that it could also protect the wiring in the direction of the tow vehicle? Since the new converter has reverse polarity protection built in it seems like it is able to protect itself. Does that seem reasonable?

What do you think of the arrangement in the attached PDF file? Would this be workable?

Thanks,

Malcolm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DC Electrical New 2.pdf (17.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 07-05-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
50 amp fuse at batt. protects all circuts conected to fuse pnl it supplies. towing vehicle should have circuit protection at out to trailer,under hood on older vehicle
newer tow vehicals come with protection in the chassis fuse panel under hood.
charge line protection at trlr is xtra protection ,not essential but doesn't hurt is long run. if ALL pos circuits are fused don't need fuse on ground. note that wire to fuse panel if 50 amp fused should be at least 6 ga. 10 ga will get real hot before blow 50 amp fuse. a/s has a tendancy to overbuild wiring ie:12 ga on 15 amp circuit better to big than small. hook stero to filtered circuit or direct to batt with fuse to reduce static from fans,flour lites ect. gen should be self regulating at appx 14.5vdc max depending on amp capability (lp fueled? I haven't seen these in my shop yet) normaly
small gens are speed regulated,should say in owners man.check output at batt with batt partially discharged. is good thing for dry camping in winter.
should have some type of diode protection to keep from back feeding gen. if factory installed it probably does if not better check or will at least eat batteries,possibly fry gen.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
overlander63 makes good point I foget sometimes that there are those that just throw the bat in and don't bother securing it.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
This looks like the way to go...

After a phone discussion with Randy at Best Converter, some discussion with my son-in-law who is an electrician, reviewing your inputs and more thought about the wiring I think what I will do is what is reflected in the attached new diagram. This will only require two new 50amp fuses. It will be easy enough to rewire the connections to the ceiling fans, control panel and radio to their own fuses in the new control panel. I have already done that for the new fans anyway. Since I still have the middle ceiling panel off it is easy enough to get to things to do the rest of the changes.

Please see what you think and provide any feedback.

Thanks,

Malcolm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DC Electrical New 3.pdf (17.4 KB, 155 views)
Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
contemporary and correct,did we find out if gen has diode protection?
good hunting bill
Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestonrv View Post
contemporary and correct,did we find out if gen has diode protection?
good hunting bill
Bill,

Thanks for the feedback on the fuse locations...

I don't know what kind of protection the generator has. It is a 1973 factory original propane powered 12volt generator. It can supposedly completely recharge the battery in 2 to 3 hours of run time. It was built by Onan and has a vertical shaft engine somewhat like a lawnmower. There is a manual starter pull rope and there is an electric start feature with a start button and a 3 hour run timer in the control panel area. I did have it serviced at the local Onan-Cummings service center a couple of years back and they had not seen one of these either. At the time it tested out fine and put out at around 14 volts DC.

Malcolm