Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #1

1952 21' Flying Cloud
Spring Hope , North Carolina
Adding lights

Hey there, anyone who can help me.
I want to add a couple of lights at my bed to read by. I can mount them, run the wiring to my intellipower circuit box BUT I don't know how to connect the wires into the box.
I have one circuit that is empty that I can use but not sure how to proceed.
I was told to connect the lights directly to my battery but I hate to do that if I can do it correctly into the power box.

Thanks for anyhelp.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1956 16' Bubble
1947 22' Liner
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums. Are you trying to install 12 volt or 120 volt lights? If you are working with 12 volt, there really isn't much, if any, 12 volt stuff in your trailer.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Jay , Maine
Adding lights

Welcome aboard:
I for one am sorry you where given advice about hooking devices (lights,fans,pumps, ect) directly to the battery. It isnt a wise idea for several reasons: 1-there is no fuse protection for the battery if something grounds out the hot lead(+), 2- If there in no fuse the wire itself will act like a fuse and heat up and could cause a fire, and 3- If the wire heats up in the battery compartment and sparks when the battery is outgasing then there may be a explosion.
Allways try to use a fuse and here is an example: In my trailer I have two 50 amp fuses. One is on the positive side and one on the negative side.
The positive after the fuse goes to the fuse box and connects the fuse box main to it, from here the fuse panel breaks down into circuits. Each circuit is dependant on the wire size for the fuse rating that wire can handle or the load.
Im sure your woundering why the negative of the battery gets fused, right? The reason is in case some one has wired incorrectly and is feeding power back to the battery by the neutral wire or ground.
If you have a circuit open in the univolt and you know what amp rating it can handle, you could purchase a fuse box or sub-fuse box which would add electrical circuits to the univolt. Just be sure to not over load what its rated for in amps. When adding circuits (lights,fans,ect) they are normally wired in parallel so all circuits can get the amperage needed of the main feed wire.
I hope I helped clear things up and didnt confuse you. If you need a wiring diagram to understand what I said above I would be happy to send you one as an example..
Keith