Old 08-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Memphis , Tennessee
Adding Battle Born Batteries to my Sport 22

I'm adding 3 Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Batteries and a Inverter/Charger 3000W 12V to my Sport 22. Any ideas of the best location? Under the bed or (if it will fit) under the seat of the dinning table which is a little closer to the single axle.

jwier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
As close to your existing wiring as possible. Shorter cable runs for easier install and less current loss. And remember, while the batteries are lighter that AGM's, your new inverter is likely to cancel out those weight savings. A 3000W inverter will be heavy.

Good luck.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
???

Yep....40lbs🤔

Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
we migrated to BB lion
mine is inside under the bed closer to road side at the back
this takes up the space of one of the containers
the space now has room for up to 4 BB lion batteries

we also update our electronics to mostly victron parts as we also added solar

see by schematic and pictures in the bambi forum areahttp://www.airforums.com/forums/f295/
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Suffolk , Virginia
We put 2 under our bed FB Globetrotter 25 - curbside. So far, they are heads and shoulders above any other battery we have had - 160 Zamp portable solar panel does the job keeping them charged. They emit no heat of fumes so I believe them to be fine and safe.
Jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Jayd, Are you using the controller on the Zamp or did you up grade the controller. I have a 160 Zamp portable but the controller does not look like it would do a good job with the new batteries.

I am going to add lithium batteries in the near future.

Thanks,

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwier View Post
-- snip -- ideas of the best location? -- snip --
My choice would be under the bed as close to the axle as possible. I would save the space under the seat for heavy food, tire chains and similar gear that is best located over the axle and kept available for access when needed.

Analysis as to weight, component location, cable minimization and access for control likely should drive your decision. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
You didnít ask but if you are going to all that expense and trouble, a hybrid inverter like the Victron Multiplus 3000 is what many folks choose. If thatís your choice as well it it does like to be be mounted vertically if possible and would appreciate ventilation under heavy loads. This would allow you to easily run the AC with a small generator and even run it with no generator for short bursts.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Parker , williamdcrockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
As close to your existing wiring as possible. Shorter cable runs for easier install and less current loss. And remember, while the batteries are lighter that AGM's, your new inverter is likely to cancel out those weight savings. A 3000W inverter will be heavy.

Good luck.
I agree. The inverter should be as close as possible to the batteries. You are going to need awg 0 or 1 sized cables to connect the battery to the inverter and to minimize losses in current you need short cables.

I just replaced a 2000 watt Zantac inverter with a 3000 watts Aimes inverter. I have 3 27 series AGMís that I will replace with 3 100 AH Battleborn LiPoís. So I am doing the same thing but in a 27AS. The new inverter is heavier than the old Zantac but not even close to the weight of one Series 27 AGM. If you are installing 3 100 AH BBBís you will want as many solar panels as will fit on the roof and then some.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The Battleborn web site has information under the BMS FAQs that states each battery will deliver 100 amps continually and a 200 amp surge for 30 seconds. In the event of a higher draw the BMS will deliver maximum battery capacity for 1/2 second.

In a prior thread, Bob ran an amperage calc for my 1KW inverter. That was 120 amps, assuming the inverter was 80% efficient and dropped out at 10 volts. So the 3KW is going to pull 250 to 300/360 amps. A slightly bigger cable might be appropriate than mentioned above. Short cables from battery terminal to fuse or breaker is a help. My concern was the power available from the three BBs as noted from info on the BB website. Interested to see what you use for the 3KW inverter power feed and the method of circuit protection implemented. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 PM   #11
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The end solution will be lighter because the Li batteries weigh 40% of the lead acid batteries and you also eliminate the converter. The only added wight is heavier DC cables.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:03 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
Jayd, Are you using the controller on the Zamp or did you up grade the controller. I have a 160 Zamp portable but the controller does not look like it would do a good job with the new batteries.

I am going to add lithium batteries in the near future.

Thanks,

Dave

We use two Zamp 180w portable's, w/o an external controller, working very well on the 2 BB Lithium's.
No concerns so far.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25e8.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	350082   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2593.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	350083  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
Thank you Robert. Zamp has informed me that my controller can be up graded to work with lithium batteries. My panel is 4 years old.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Going to BB Lithiums

I've had the 4 Lifeline 6V GPL-4CT batteries handling my other than 120V needs for just over 4 years. They have performed really well. Coupled with the 600 W of solar and the Maxim MSH 3012 Inverter/Charger unit, these batteries were able to run my A/C successfully for right at 4 hours. When I installed them, I was on the fence about going to Lithiums but decided the technology didn't meet even my early adopter tendencies.

The International Rally at Doswell provided an opportunity to meet the Battle Born folks and have a conversation about a change up from the AGM's. From what I've read here on AirForums, and from the BB team at Doswell (and a reduced price to $849 that they allowed for being at the rally), I now have 4 BB10012 batteries in hand. I moved them into the trailer for install and was ecstatic at the weight difference. (The Lifeline's are 77 pounds each, and I have 4 of them. That's 308 pounds that I've been hauling around.) They will occupy the same space under the forward dinette seat, and my 4/0 cables won't need to be changed.

I've done all the homework for the hookup, and I'll just need to reset my solar controller and the control unit for the Magnum so it charges what the BB's want rather than the multi-stage charging protocol I've had to use with the Lifelines.

This is a huge financial "investment," but I'm looking forward to this upgrade!

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote