Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Adding battery compartments and doors

I am again contemplating the paucity of battery capacity in my traylah.

I have the two forward-facing battery compartments, each with a flooded cell, Group 27, deep cycle battery. This is the largest battery that will fit.

I'm thinking of adding two additional forward-facing battery compartments with individual doors. There seems to be enough room though the subwoofer may have to be moved.

Has anyone done this?
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Jammer,

My trailer only came with one battery cave, at some point my grand father had an identical one added to the other side. Since taking ownership I have thought about adding a third and fourth battery at an angle off the first box.

See the attached image
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	116400  
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
I also am comtemplating additional battery capacity. I currently have the single battery compartment. Rather than add a second, and a third and a fourth, my thinking is to have a single 8D Lifeline AGM right in the middle. Venting (tho not needed) will be easy. I will have to relocate the crappy univolt which I am replacing anyways. In my 78 Tradewind there seems to be just enough (and I mean just enough) room for this.

Tongue weight will go up in the range of 60 pounds since I remove a battery and the old vacuum hydraulic brake actuator.

I currently have a Lifeline 8D in my 67 safari, it has worked out great.

John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
John that is an alternative I am considering as well.

Due to the problems posed by mixing AGM and flooded types it would be necessary for me to replace the two existing batteries with AGMs if I plan to continue using them.

Bottom line the AGM batteries cost $2.50 an amp hour while flooded batteries cost $1.50 an amp hour. This is a recurring cost. For a 500 AH battery string this is a $500 cost difference every five years. It is for this reason that I am exploring the possibility of adding compartments, or, to ck's point, expanding the existing ones.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote