Old 02-28-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Adding an inverter to a 27FB

I want to be able to watch TV and make coffee off my batteries. I am thinking the inverter and a transfer switch can go behind the converter under the cabinets with a control panel on the bathroom wall.

Has anyone done this or are there some thoughts or ideas on the subject?

Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
You want your inverter to be as close to the batteries as possible and connected by a short piece of heavy gauge wire. The problem is that high amperage 12 volts current cannot go very far. This means either under the bed or inside the storage area.

Here's a link to a project I did on my 27 FB to install solar and an inverter. I really like the inverter as it does a great job powering the TV and various appliances. It is totally silent and very efficient.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ry-106585.html

The 600 watt inverter should be able to power a small coffee pot like this that draws 550 watts. I would imagine running a larger inverter to power larger power hungry appliances will quickly run your batteries down.
Amazon.com: Cuisinart DCC-450BK 4-Cup Coffeemaker with Stainless-Steel Carafe, Black: Kitchen & Dining

Good luck with your project!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
This is not a trivial conversion, nor inexpensive.

My main comment would be to make coffee on the stove, and use a small and inexpensive inverter for the television. But if you insist on coffee from the batteries here are some more thoughts.

Any large inverter needs to be kept as close as possible to the batteries. I am assuming you have the tongue mounted battery box. If at all possible locate your inverter within 5 feet of wire to that box. Fuse the feed line very close to the batteries. That will take a major 200 amp fuse (or larger) and holder. The wire, both positive and negative, will need to be from #4 to #2/0 depending on the inverter size you chose. Your batteries will probably need to be upgraded also. I find a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries, in series to be the most cost effective solution. Others have different choices.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbelk View Post
I want to be able to watch TV and make coffee off my batteries. I am thinking the inverter and a transfer switch can go behind the converter under the cabinets with a control panel on the bathroom wall.

Has anyone done this or are there some thoughts or ideas on the subject?
First of all, there are 12 volt coffee pots as well as TV sets.

When you use an inverter, you must understand what power drain you will have.

As an example, if the 120 volt current drain is 2 amperes, that is 240 watts of power.

Assuming 100 percent inverter efficiency (which cannot happen) that 240 watts now becomes a current draw of 20 amperes at 12 volts DC.

The simple DC formula is watts = current(amps) X voltage.

You also can simply make coffee on the stove.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
I give. The elegant solution is too expensive. Thanks for the input.
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
If you forgo the coffee pot idea, you could try getting a low cost portable inverter and use it to power just your TV. Here's one possibility: Amazon.com: BESTEK Dual 110V AC outlets and Dual USB 3.1A 300w power inverter car dc 12v to 110v ac inverter dc adapter laptop charger notebook adapter dc charger ac adapter usb charger MRI3011BU: Automotive

Plug the inverter 12V plug into the socket that shares the TV amplifier behind the TV, then unplug the TV from the wall and plug it into the portable inverter. Just make sure the wattage draw of the TV is lower than the constant output of the inverter. I'm assuming your TV draws less than 100 watts.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
small inverter

We added a 410watt automotive modified sine wave inverter to our 25' 2005 International. It serves an outlet strip for recharging electronics, and a 120vac table lamp. Recently we decided to back feed the trailer's receptacles by plugging the trailer's shore power cord into the the inverter in lieu of adding an ATS. There is no chance of bucking commercial power with inverter power because only the shore power cord can only be plugged into one source.

Several caveats are in order -- This is a small capacity power supply so we don't (can't) use the microwave, we keep the fridge on propane, and can't use the roof air conditioner.

On the other hand, we have a no cost connection between our inverter and all our outlets. When we dry camp we have use of every 120vac outlet in the house. It has worked so well we yesterday ordered a 600w pure sine wave inverter for $250 including class-T fuse and remote switch. Okay, no longer a "no cost" setup but it is simplicity itself. Additionally this new inverter is large enough we might run the fridge on it on towing days in lieu of propane, but that's another discussion entirely.

We always have the outlet strip and table lamp connected to inverter power for convenient use. We can go outside and plug the 6' shore power cord into the inverter receptacle in the fridge bay if we want power everywhere. Sure it's limited power but in our seventh year full timing in this 25' International we haven't seen any reason to go with more than the 600w inverter.

This easy setup works for us 99% of the time, which is one of our basic criteria for what we will and won't bother changing on our truck or trailer. We don't need the microwave or roof air when dry camping (we're chasing 75 degrees, right?), don't have electric to the water heater anyway, and have a 1kw portable genset when need to run a power tool.
WBCCI #4822 SKP # 094415
find us here
http://dreamstreamr.com
http://dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Yakima , Washington
We have a 27FB, it came with a 700 watt inverter. We replaced it with a 1800 inverter so we could make coffee and use the micro on the road. We like to stop at rest stops make lattes. It is mounted under the bed with a transfer switch. The power does not run through it until it is turned on. We have a solar panel to keep the batteries charged as best we can.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Mike
Old 03-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Bethesda , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Gloria View Post
so we could make coffee and use the micro on the road.
Holy Cow - running the microwave off of your inverter & batteries - I assume for very brief periods?
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Holy Cow - running the microwave off of your inverter & batteries - I assume for very brief periods?
I use a small older microwave and a toaster for short periods of time on the 1000 watt sine wave inverter in my 2014 FC 20'. I don't use it for long, just enough to defrost my bagels or a hamburger. I don't boil water in it, the stove does that well. And I like conventional toast from an electric toaster. Again, just a few minutes of use.

The input to my inverter when using the microwave is 89 Amps, measured on my Tri Metric battery monitor. The toaster takes 75 amps. But the use time is only 5 minutes or less, in general.

Many small microwaves made today use more power than the inverter I have produces. The old, small ones used less than 900 watts. I got mine at Goodwill for about $12.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #11

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
We added a 410watt automotive modified sine wave inverter to our 25' 2005 International. It serves an outlet strip for recharging electronics, and a 120vac table lamp. Recently we decided to back feed the trailer's receptacles by plugging the trailer's shore power cord into the the inverter in lieu of adding an ATS. There is no chance of bucking commercial power with inverter power because only the shore power cord can only be plugged into one source.
~~
What did you do to isolate the converter from the power coming in from the inverter? Do you unplug the converter before plugging the shore-power line into your inverter?

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #12
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Whoops, caveat overlooked! My converter/charger is the only circuit on one 120vac breaker. I open that breaker before connecting the house to the inverter.

The converter/charger is off much of the time anyhow, the pv panels largely keep the batteries fully charged.

WBCCI #4822 SKP # 094415
find us here
http://dreamstreamr.com
http://dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote