Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Emerging Technology...

Lew, you said a mouthful when you said "emerging technology". I read a book in 1970 by Alvin Toffler called "Future Shock". I'll have to check to see if it's in Kindle form so I can re-read it. Sure as h*** it won't be at the bookstore... wait is the bookstore still in business?

Too much change coming too fast for anyone to keep up with it. The sum of human knowledge used to double every 5000 years... now it's about every 5000 minutes.

I know my cell phone is obsolete, I took it out of the box.

I bought an Apple Laser Writer - one of the first desk top laser printers - for $5000 in the 1980's. Grab the latest technology on everything if that's your joy - but remember it'll either be gone or almost free in another 5 years - so is it worth the premium in between?

I bought an Apple Laser Writer in the 1980's - paid over $5000 - and I think it printed at 600 dpi. Two years later the price was down to about $1500. Now I've got a color OKI sitting on the desktop that's not going to get any new cartridges because a NEWER printer would be cheaper. Whew.

Paula
Old 02-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Ain't it the truth!!!!! Only problem with waiting for 'prices to come down' or 'if this is available now, I'll just wait until the next improvement is available' usually means that one misses the boat entirely.

For example, I've been asked when I think lithium battery prices will drop. After reading a report from China about the biggest manufacturers there........seems that most are still operating at a loss! No price drops in the forseeable future.

I do hope that Elon Musk and his Gigafactory will bring the new lithiums more into the mainstream.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
Austin , Texas
Lew, thanks for your input and pictures, they are reassuring.

Andy, your points are all valid and I am thinking hard about the cost vs function. I am only looking at Pure Sine inverters that claim to be usable with sensitive electronics. Having fried the clock in a coffee maker with a cheap inverter on a friend's boat I am being a little more careful.

Paula, I appreciate your thoughts on camping vs civilization. I have a room full of tiny, light, well used, camping equipment that does not get used much as we have accepted that we are Glamping now.

With that I have few more questions:
1) The price of 2000 watt inverters seems to range from a few hundred dollars to well over a thousand. What are the differences and do I need to be concerned about them.

2) From under the front bed, can I get to the 120V wires that go to the generator shore power plug on the front?

3) Is the shore power plug on the front isolated from the main shore power plug on the side by an automatic isolation switch. Is this sufficient isolation assuming the front shore power plug is not being used.

4) if an inverter is off, does it matter if the output side of it is hot, as in exposed to shore power.

5) I seem to have a pretty good converter in my Classic. Is there any reason I should be looking at an inverter/converter combination?

Thanks
Brad
Bbelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Historically, inverters (electronic circuits that take DC power and convert it to AC to simulate the power line) were pretty awful in the waveshapes they produced. But that was like in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Most today that are pure shine will be fine with modern electronics.

Modern electronics that can efficiently switch at many times the power line frequency can produce a output voltage that is pretty close to a sine, meaning it has little harmonic content. This eliminates the issues with square wave and modified sine outputs, since the power line itself is ideally a sine. It is still a bit more expensive to produce inverters with sine wave outputs, but the extra cost is no longer that much and is getting steadily lower. Today, sine wave output inverters are common.

So really, I think the concerns are outdated at best, IMO. And I know others might not agree. But I feel to dismiss an inverter completely is to ignore the modern needs of a lot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

For example, I've been asked when I think lithium battery prices will drop. After reading a report from China about the biggest manufacturers there........seems that most are still operating at a loss! No price drops in the forseeable future.

I do hope that Elon Musk and his Gigafactory will bring the new lithiums more into the mainstream.
They technically are mainstream if you think about all the uses in other platforms. Modern electronics and hybrid vehicles.

Also, people waiting for the prices to come down don't understand what they are paying for. And don't understand that the prices are already appropriate and AFFORDABLE.

Let's take AMSolar, you look at the 400aH kit. It's 3,299.00 and you think "That's a lot of money compared to me buying some Trojans."

But you're looking at it in a wrong way. Completely wrong.

You are not just buying 4 batteries that you are going to slap in your RV.

In order to use the lithiums properly, you are also buying the Battery Management System, Sense boards and a few other pieces you need to have safe usable system. And they put it all in a kit, and mounted half of it to a board so you can install it right out of the box!!! Trojan isn't doing that for you.

When I priced the Sinopoly cells from a supplier in Canada they were $153 US. And you need 16 of them to make a 400aH bank so that's $2448.00 - then you have to factor in the BMS (this ranges from $200 to $500) and sense boards (these range from $40 to $80), and solenoid ($150), wires, switches.... All of that adds up.

Actually AMSolar's pricing is very FAIR. It's almost at cost on my math, so I imagine or hope they have a deal to buy in bulk so they can make some money.

When you factor that into the pricing, and then also consider the advantages of why it's better, then the price becomes understandable. They are not coming down. Do not expect them to be cheaper.

$153 per cell is cheap. Let's not forget, that my 400aH of batteries is equal to 360aH of usable power. 400aH of AGM's is equal to only 200aH so you would need 600aH to get close to mine. If you price based on that, you are half way to the cost of the Lithium cells. Start considering the advantages.

People justify the added expense of AGM all the time, even though it weighs more and has less power than a wet cell counterpart. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, I think we are at the lowest they are going to be for now. Probably see prices rise as interest rates and inflation rise.

So like Lew said, you might end up missing the boat.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Lew who????? :-))

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters