Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 07:05 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Batteries are my bug-a-boo. Our 2005 28' Classic has a switch under the couch that I have been instructed to turn off when parked. Question: since we routinely hook up to electricity when parking at home, do I need to turn this switch off?

Also,does that switch serve the same purpose as the one that Ernster put on his battery box?

"using the switch as a common positive post" What specifically does this mean?

Wayne G. Why do you have 3 batteries. Our 28' Classic only has positions for 2 batteries. Would I want a third battery mounted somewhere?

You fellas are great, I read your posts every day and appreciated the posts of all of you. Please keep em coming.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Farmer View Post
Batteries are my bug-a-boo. Our 2005 28' Classic has a switch under the couch that I have been instructed to turn off when parked. Question: since we routinely hook up to electricity when parking at home, do I need to turn this switch off?

Also,does that switch serve the same purpose as the one that Ernster put on his battery box?

"using the switch as a common positive post" What specifically does this mean?

Wayne G. Why do you have 3 batteries. Our 28' Classic only has positions for 2 batteries. Would I want a third battery mounted somewhere?

You fellas are great, I read your posts every day and appreciated the posts of all of you. Please keep em coming.
I have all of the cables coming from the rig to one post on the switch instead of to the battery posts. Positive cables go to the switch. Negative cables go a single post mounted at the back of the battery box.
Ernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:05 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Isn't this enough?

I love the clean arrangement and clever solution to the mess that is in the battery box. Can I mention pulling them out each winter? Ugh.

As to the need to cut off the battery from the coach, isn't this switch on the post a simpler solution?
Attached Images

ProPride Hitch
Voyager back-up camera
Davidwantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Farmer View Post
My battery setup is for a MH, not a TT.
One battery for the MH chassis the other 2 are on the switch for everything else.
My switch is in the + lines because I also have 400 watts of solar and the solar monitor has a shunt in the - line to read total current charge/draw. The battery switch allows me to use/charge battery A or B or both and the off position allows me to work on the solar gear without frying everything.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
New switch

Blue Sea Systems has a new version of the switch coming out soon: https://www.bluesea.com/products/600...king_Key_-_Red

The locking feature might be the only thing that is different - not sure. I definitely want to install one though. Much easier way to disconnect the batteries and I don't like the current battery clamps.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:12 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernster View Post
Hole saw from the inside. That was the hardest part of the project. It's difficult to get pressure directly behind the drill.

The switch I bought can be fully surface mounted on the outside. I thought it looked better the way I did it.
Thanks. I agree, it does look good the way you did it. Can you point me to what you used for the common battery post?
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Ernster, why hole saw from inside? I just cut two 1 inch holes into that battery box and I did it from the outside?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I probably could have saved $1000 worth of batteries on my MH if I had a disconnect like yours. During storage, they always drained due to certain things that can't be disconnected. And it wasn't as simple as pulling off the Red wire, there were two chassis batteries and four house batteries all with multiple connections.

Your install is very clean.
My only question would be if the switch is protected from weather.
Both rain and road grime while towing.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #29
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
Does adding a battery cutoff make the use/store switch and solenoid setup redundant? If possible, I'd rather have a mechanical switch and bypass the solenoid - one less gizmo to fail.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Boog,

The battery cutoff as shown here completely isolates the battery, no loads come of fit. The use/store switch only isolates the DC loads from the control panel (lights, pump, etc). So when you have the use/store switch in store, power from batteries is still present and can run loads from the bus bars, such as propane detect, jack, etc). and others would say there are other phantom loads.

So a switch like the OP posted here truly disconnects the battery from ALL loads, no drain even when in the store position.....
Old 04-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Ernster, why hole saw from inside? I just cut two 1 inch holes into that battery box and I did it from the outside?
I wanted to the cleaner look of the way I mounted the switch and there is not enough clearance between the A frame and the battery box.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Thanks. I agree, it does look good the way you did it. Can you point me to what you used for the common battery post?
Power Post:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/200...5_16in-18_Stud
Old 04-30-2017, 02:24 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
I installed 2 easy disconnects total cost just over $20 (actually $10 since I had one already)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3676.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	284443
Mikenbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenbern View Post
I installed 2 easy disconnects total cost just over $20 (actually $10 since I had one already)Attachment 284443

As long does what you want to accomplish.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:22 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Thank you, Wayne G. I did not recognize the set up being a motor home. Should have as our motor home has 4 and this would certainly cut down on the briar patch of wiring.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Drilled it from the inside due to way I mounted the switch. Just personal preference.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Dade City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Does adding a battery cutoff make the use/store switch and solenoid setup redundant? If possible, I'd rather have a mechanical switch and bypass the solenoid - one less gizmo to fail.
The cut off switch is wired at the batteries and disconnects the entire trailer. The batteries are 100% isolated.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:57 AM   #38
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
This look like a pretty straight forward addition to the battery box but it has been several years since it was added I was curious if there have been any updates or anything you would have done differently?

Thanks for sharing the info.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Added a Battery Cutoff and Rewired the Box

Here’s what I did:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4579.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	370719

Blue Sea battery on/off switch mounted inside a modified double outlet water resistant in-use cover from the big box home improvement store. I used a heat gun and a chunk of wood to put a bulge in the cover to clear the knob. I also had to enlarge the holes to fit the switch and wires better. The cover can be locked if i get really paranoid. It’s all mounted with stainless steel sheet metal screws straight into the aluminum. There is a foam gasket part of the cover to keep water out. Next time I open a tube of sealant I’ll put a bead around the gasket to protect it.

All the 4 gauge wires are covered with slit tubing to protect from sunlight. It’s mounted streetside because the positive side of the batteries are on that side. There is a shunt for the battery negative lead mounted inside on the front wall near the 12 volt power wiring for a battery monitor. I upped the all the wiring sizes to 4 gauge to handle an inverter if I chose to add one. There is a Blue Sea MRBF fuseholder bolted on right at the battery positive post with an 80 amp fuse in it for wire protection.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery boxes, battery disconnect