Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Add battery access door to a 2000 Safari

My 2000 25' Safari six sleeper has a single battery box mounted exterior behind the propane tanks. I am thinking about adding a second battery for more amp hours, since the furnace drains one battery pretty quickly during cold weather. I have looked at adding a larger exterior battery box, large enough for two. But, as an option I'm thinking about adding access doors and battery boxes so that I can mount the batteries on the interior. The batteries would be behind the sofa on each side of the center mounted converter.

I understand the new wiring issues for the batteries and venting issues. What I do not know is what is existing inside the walls. Has anyone cut new battery access doors through walls in a Safari similar to mine? What will I encounter on the interior of the wall that will need to be re-located?

I appreciate your responses!
Thanks

Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Personally, I wouldn't cut new holes. I'd stick with AGM or gel batteries that don't need to be vented (note, you'll need a better converter if you still have stock, or you'll cook the expensive batteries quickly), and just put battery boxes inside. Even if you have to move the sofa to replace them, with a good converter, they should last for years, and they don't require you to check/add water.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Personally, I wouldn't cut new holes. I'd stick with AGM or gel batteries that don't need to be vented (note, you'll need a better converter if you still have stock, or you'll cook the expensive batteries quickly), and just put battery boxes inside. Even if you have to move the sofa to replace them, with a good converter, they should last for years, and they don't require you to check/add water.
I appreciate your response!

Those batteries might be more a cost effective solution! Access hatches would be expensive. And, you are probably right about not cutting new holes, since I would be inviting water in.

But, I would like to know what is inside the walls.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
I dont want to hijack this thread....but a quick question: my battery box is in my bathroom closet. I can fit a group 27 in it but wouldn't mind adding a spare sealed battery under the twin bed on the same side.

I figure I could simply put some sort of switch between the two for when I boondock and use the furnace....or would they be wired in parallel ? Is there an issue with using a flooded battery along with a sealed one?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
I dont want to hijack this thread....but a quick question: my battery box is in my bathroom closet. I can fit a group 27 in it but wouldn't mind adding a spare sealed battery under the twin bed on the same side.

I figure I could simply put some sort of switch between the two for when I boondock and use the furnace....or would they be wired in parallel ? Is there an issue with using a flooded battery along with a sealed one?

Thanks
The second battery would need to be in parallel in order to maintain 12v and receive a charge from the converter. If you add a wet cell battery on the interior of the trailer it must be in a sealed battery box that is drained and vented to the outside. The off gas from charging is hydrogen and oxygen which can explode if contained inside the trailer. A switch would not be necessary, unless you want to isolate it from the 12v circuit for some reason. Both batteries should be the same type or there will be problems with charging.

Some people use AGM or gel batteries inside their trailers without a sealed vented enclosure. I would not do that. These batteries are self contained as long is there is no failure. What happens if there is a failure? IMHO, a $20 to $30 investment for a containment box is cheap insurance.