Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Add another battery

I have a 2019 GT FBQ with Solar. AS provided two Lifeline GPL-24T AGM batteries which are installed in the outside battery box on the A-frame.

I'd like the add another GPL-24T in parallel to increase the amp/h from 160 to 240. Can I relocate all three batteries into the compartment below the front bed? I've seen conflicting opinions on this. Any special considerations if I can do this?

Second question: Costco has a 'similar' AGM battery (78 ah vs. the Lifeline 80 ah) for about 1/2 the cost of the Lifeline... can I safely add that as my third battery?

Thanks all!
Omnial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Omnial,

If you are satisfied with your Lifelines, I would stay with that brand. Adding any battery that is different will give you a headache later down the road. In addition, if your batteries are greater than 6 months old, I would not add a battery at all, as the condition of your new battery and the old ones will not 'match' and you will get definite challenges when charging.

If you want 2 very solid new batteries, I would go with the Lifeline GPL-6CT, which are 6VDC but 300 amp/hours each. They are slightly larger than a GPL-24T, but have far greater power available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnial View Post
I have a 2019 GT FBQ with Solar. AS provided two Lifeline GPL-24T AGM batteries which are installed in the outside battery box on the A-frame.

I'd like the add another GPL-24T in parallel to increase the amp/h from 160 to 240. Can I relocate all three batteries into the compartment below the front bed? I've seen conflicting opinions on this. Any special considerations if I can do this?

Second question: Costco has a 'similar' AGM battery (78 ah vs. the Lifeline 80 ah) for about 1/2 the cost of the Lifeline... can I safely add that as my third battery?

Thanks all!
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Thank you Lewster. I'm relatively new to Airstreams and this forum, but can see that you are a credible authority on these topics!

My ultimate goal is to go to lithium. But for now I wanted a 'cheap' way to boost my amp/h capacity as I can't make it through the night when having to run CPAP, furnace, watching TV prior to bed, etc.

That's why I thought of just adding another AGM to the system. My original question was mostly around the safety of putting AGM's inside the trailer... I've seen your previous comments that this is safe to do, with adequate ventilation (but I'm not sure what constitutes 'adequate' in this case.). I was also assuming all 3 batteries should be beside each other so cable lengths are consistent between them.. is the a requirement or could I keep the two in the A-Frame battery box and wire in the third battery stored under the bed?

In terms of the issues related to adding a third battery to the existing two, what exactly is the issue? If the problem is that I cut my battery bank life from n years to n/2 years, I'm OK with that... I'd like to get by on AGM and switch to lithium in 2-3 years from now. Or are there other, safety related issues?
Omnial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Howdy,

There is really no problem with adding additional AGM batteries to your existing bank with the exception of longevity. If you are looking for lithiums eventually, then your plan will probably work.

If you do this, I would move all 3 batteries inside, as it would be better for your eventual move to lithiums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnial View Post
Thank you Lewster. I'm relatively new to Airstreams and this forum, but can see that you are a credible authority on these topics!

My ultimate goal is to go to lithium. But for now I wanted a 'cheap' way to boost my amp/h capacity as I can't make it through the night when having to run CPAP, furnace, watching TV prior to bed, etc.

That's why I thought of just adding another AGM to the system. My original question was mostly around the safety of putting AGM's inside the trailer... I've seen your previous comments that this is safe to do, with adequate ventilation (but I'm not sure what constitutes 'adequate' in this case.). I was also assuming all 3 batteries should be beside each other so cable lengths are consistent between them.. is the a requirement or could I keep the two in the A-Frame battery box and wire in the third battery stored under the bed?

In terms of the issues related to adding a third battery to the existing two, what exactly is the issue? If the problem is that I cut my battery bank life from n years to n/2 years, I'm OK with that... I'd like to get by on AGM and switch to lithium in 2-3 years from now. Or are there other, safety related issues?
lewster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
If I were adding batteries or changing out AGMs, the Fullriver is what I would use. Have sold many Lifelines over the years but a 220 AH 6 volt in a group 27 case is something. 7 year warranty is getting the attention of many.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

murrieta , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
If I were adding batteries or changing out AGMs, the Fullriver is what I would use. Have sold many Lifelines over the years but a 220 AH 6 volt in a group 27 case is something. 7 year warranty is getting the attention of many.
Randy,
will 2 of the Group 27 fullriver fit in the stock battery box for a 2019?
Alexstjo26 is offline   Reply With Quote