Old 03-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I looked into putting a large computer grade capacitor on the output of the Converter. My WFCO died and they put in an intellepower. Very little whine. I bagged it for now.

A word of caution. Large caps will draw charge out of the air. THey need to have a "high" value resistor (1 Mega ohm) across them or be shunted. Discharging though your body can be painful to deadly.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Michelle, I've never heard of a capacitor self charging before. I know they will discharge or leak across the dialectric, but haven't heard of this phenomenon. But, as I said, these super caps are new to me. Where can I find some documenation on them?
regards

Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #17
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
OK you guys, I have to ask this question. Just how big (physical size) are these dang things? Some of the descriptions y'all are giving make this thing sound like a suitcase nuc. Is it really safe to have one these caps around? INSIDE your Airstream?

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Holey Smokeys!
I just googled "super capacitors" and got a wikipedia article. Man o man, are they neat. Looks like they might be the size of a flashlight batt (A) cell. I am definitely going to the electronic market very soon. Talk about being obsolete... that's me.
regards and good nite
Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #19

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrgirdner
Michelle, I've never heard of a capacitor self charging before. I know they will discharge or leak across the dialectric, but haven't heard of this phenomenon. But, as I said, these super caps are new to me. Where can I find some documenation on them?
regards
My college physics/electronics professor. Drilled that into our heads. How big for a farad. Probably about a foot tall and about 4-5 inches in diameter depending on the working voltage

Old 03-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
These things are, depending on farad size, anywhere from 4" to 10" long and about 2" to 3" in diameter. So not very big at all. Catsandi is right about discharging them, you do need to follow the directions and use common sense.

Here is a link page to what some of them look like:

1 farad capacitor, Car Electronics, Parts Accessories items on eBay.com
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Discharging though your body can be painful to deadly.
I used to charge up a small cap and toss it to friends as a mean prank. Nothing dangerous, but just enough to zap them a little.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist
I used to charge up a small cap and toss it to friends as a mean prank. Nothing dangerous, but just enough to zap them a little.
Nice!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Seriously, folks, we are talking about 12 volts here. I doubt there is more danger with these caps than there is with your house battery. Except for one thing. If charged, one of them will store a whale of a lot of energy, the short-circuit current will be similar to shorting out a nicad battery. The wikipedia article mentioned one application of these super capacitors was to start large engines. I have a hard time imagining this, but someone seems to think it's true.
Please let us know how it works out.
regards
Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #24
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
this is a real "super" cap. the big ones are knee high.

and yes they will self charge and need to be stored shorted or else!

i still think you are wasting your time twink. prove me wrong!

john
Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd

john
Adding large capacitors to monster car audio systems has become common practice, usually to overcome a dinky alternator in a small import car when hitting low bass notes. It works, and has been proven. Don't know from experience if it would help much with the water pump, but considering the fact that the starting circuits for large electric motors use them, it certainly couldn't hurt. My money is on the caps being a success.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #26

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist
It works, and has been proven. Don't know from experience if it would help much with the water pump, but considering the fact that the starting circuits for large electric motors use them, it certainly couldn't hurt.
One other thing you might want to consider is you are oing to put a cap on a Motor. A reverse current diode to catch the spike coming back after the motor is turned off. The Capacitor will not catch it all.

We put diodes on airplane contactors and relays to keep the avionics from getting trashed.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
A super capacitor is placed in the DC power supply circuit to allow large instantaneous demands to be better met..

There is a car audio super-cap that is half capacitor and half AGM or Gel battery - keeps line losses down for rest of circuits when the a large load lowers entire system voltages as its demand current increases.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:04 PM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
this is a real "super" cap. the big ones are knee high.

and yes they will self charge and need to be stored shorted or else!

john
Yea, I could see putting one of these under the front couch somewhat interesting. I'm not trying to prove or disprove anyone, as far as I'm concerned, I'm the one in unfamiliar territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the catsandi
We put diodes on airplane contactors and relays to keep the avionics from getting trashed.
Good suggestion on the diode. I hadn't thought of that if I connected one to a motor....