Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Adapter included with wildkat pd4655

Hi all-
Trying to install a wildkat pd4655 and can’t tell if I’ve lost the adaptor or if it wasn’t included. It appears to be a plastic rectangle that mounts below the actual converter.

The wiring looks very straightforward, it’s just securing the thing that seems to be causing me grief.

Has anyone installed one from bestconverter.com? I had assumed that any adapter would be included...looks like a 59 cent part.
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
Hi all-
Trying to install a wildkat pd4655 and can’t tell if I’ve lost the adaptor or if it wasn’t included. It appears to be a plastic rectangle that mounts below the actual converter.

The wiring looks very straightforward, it’s just securing the thing that seems to be causing me grief.

Has anyone installed one from bestconverter.com? I had assumed that any adapter would be included...looks like a 59 cent part.
I just installed a PD4655 Wildcat in my 2018 27' Globetrotter. I got a pendant with mine, but it may have been an option. If it was supposed to be included, Randy will send you out one immediately if you contact him. My first PD4655 with Pendant installed in my 2017 Flying Cloud had a pendant problem and Randy immediately shipped me a replacement.

Securing my PD4655 was done by installing a plastic bar about 6" long below the unit. Then the PD4655 slid into that plastic bar and snapped into place.

Be careful with the wiring. The wires on the stock converter do not criss-cross. The 12V and 120V wires on the PD4655 needed to criss-cross on both of my installations. I know others have fried their PD4655's by connecting the 12V wires to the 120V input.

I liked my first PD4655 so much that I bought another to replace the "advertised" multi-stage stock converter in my 2018. A PD4655 is a true multi-stage converter. My PD4655 bulks to 14.2V, then absorption at 13.6V until low amps, then floats at 13.2V. My 2018 stock converter only bulked to 13.6V, absorption at 13.6V to low amps, then float at 13.2V. The stock "multi-stage" converter could not recharge my batteries in a reasonable amount of time at 13.6V so I installed a PD4655 that charges at 14.2V. At 14.2V, the PD4655 can bring your batteries up to 90% charged in 3 to 6 hours with a generator. https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...#charge-wizard The stock multi-stage converter at 13.6V took at least twice as long to get out of bulk (90% charged), which was way too long for charging with a generator.

Good luck with your installation.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post

Securing my PD4655 was done by installing a plastic bar about 6" long below the unit. Then the PD4655 slid into that plastic bar and snapped into place.

Be careful with the wiring. The wires on the stock converter do not criss-cross. The 12V and 120V wires on the PD4655 needed to criss-cross on both of my installations. I know others have fried their PD4655's by connecting the 12V wires to the 120V input.

To clarify: its the plastic bar that goes below the unit that I seem to be missing. Dang. Going to add a week to the install, which is the holdup for some other projects that need to get done. Ah well, eventually!

As for the wiring....hard to believe people 'brave enough' (though 5 wires isn't that brave) would screw up the 12 vs 120v. For one thing, they are zip tied and labeled as 12 vs 120. For another, the 120 AC has 3 wires (hot neutral ground) while the 12DC only has two. You'd have to get a bit 'creative' to mess that up....but hey people are amazing! ; )

And yep, changing mine for the same reason: I was seriously dissapointed at the charging rate of the stock WFCO when using the generator. Would take half a day and even then wouldnt be full. Hoping between this and 400 w of solar I'll not have this issue any longer!

Will call Randy, as I'm sure it was either an oversight on his/Progressive Dynamis part, or a screwup on my part (though I haven't discarded the box...hard to believe I'd have misplaced it!)
Old 12-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post

To clarify: its the plastic bar that goes below the unit that I seem to be missing. Dang. Going to add a week to the install, which is the holdup for some other projects that need to get done. Ah well, eventually!

As for the wiring....hard to believe people 'brave enough' (though 5 wires isn't that brave) would screw up the 12 vs 120v. For one thing, they are zip tied and labeled as 12 vs 120. For another, the 120 AC has 3 wires (hot neutral ground) while the 12DC only has two. You'd have to get a bit 'creative' to mess that up....but hey people are amazing! ; ) Mine didn't require criss-crossing, unless I have the converter slid in backwards (a possibility, since the adapter is missing I can't really know if I've got it in right--I'll double check)

And yep, changing mine for the same reason: I was seriously dissapointed at the charging rate of the stock WFCO when using the generator. Would take half a day and even then wouldnt be full. Hoping between this and 400 w of solar I'll not have this issue any longer!

Will call Randy, as I'm sure it was either an oversight on his/Progressive Dynamis part, or a screwup on my part (though I haven't discarded the box...hard to believe I'd have misplaced it!)

Do you know if the heat-sink is meant to be facing "out" or "in"? (i.e. can you see it very easily when the cover is off? or is it turned around and facing the street side)?
Old 12-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
There is a thread or two here with step by step install and photos if you search for it.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Original poster here, just wanted to update: the 6 inch adapter was definitely missing from my package, FYI. Apparently Quality Control at the factory was a little bit lacking that day. But best converter.com made it right and ship one out to me express. Also note that the wires do indeed crisscross, and get a little bit tight...another 6” of wire would be useful!

Now I am just trying to figure out where to plug in the pendant as the four pin header on the board has much more widely spaced pens than the telephone wire style connector on the pendant. The installation instructions certainly do not make it clear.