Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Lamar , Missouri
access to Univolt on '72 Landyacht?

I am replacing the univolt and it looks like I have to remove the battery housing or the bathtub. The univolt is located to the front of the rear battery box and behind the access door. I can see the wiring connections through the access door but can not get access to screws holding down the univolt. Any simple to get at the old univolt?
walleye001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #2
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We're facing the same issue with our new to us 72 Overlander. Thinking we just may pull the wires and leave it in place while installing a new charger/converter in the compartment under the bed. There's a 120V plug in that compartment as well, so just have to install a fuse panel.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
The Univolt is out. Had to enlarge the opening to extract it by a bit. Used a chisel to pry the wooden mounting plate up. Started extracting and got hung up by a wire sticking out of the top. Pulled the wire out with pliers. Did all of this after removing and labelling 12 volt wires. 110 volt disconnected. Univolt must have been installed before bathroom.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
This just makes me want to choke the engineers/designers sometimes! Not really but not a day goes by when we don't get a call on where is my converter or how do I get it out? It's not just Airstream and it's not just old units. They are still making it hard for some to get to them. Arrrh
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote