Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
A look at the 1965 Univolt

Look at this ugly wiring job. Does this look like the way the factory wired the Univolt originally on a 1965 caravel? Wires and wire nuts everywhere. Well, its all low voltage but still it looks like a mess. This univolt still works fine, so I'll look over all the connections and leave it in service for now. The problem at hand now is I have to remove this inner skin because I am replacing the floor. I'm hoping I can remove all the rivets up to the top row and just bend the sheet up enough to get access to the c-channel. I hope the univolt wiring will let me do this. Any thoughts about how I can make this more difficult?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	univolt0.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	50417  

Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
The very, very first thing I did when we got our '66 home for the first time was to chuck the Univolt. Replaced it with an IntelliPower with the Wizard. Smart move I say.

FreshAir #12407

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
4 door hardtop.

1966 Airstream Trade Wind.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

That's factory! Your photo is of the distribution box. You do not have a Univolt, but a two stage transformer located behind the wheel well. It converts 120VAC to 12VAC and 19VAC. The 12VAC runs the lighting circuit and the 19VAC runs the fans and water pump. Don't ask how it works, but it does. The distribution box has the "city" and "battery" switches. The rats' nest of wires include 12VDC charge/battery (blue), gounds (white), 12v+ (black), and a hot wire for the emergency breakaway switch (maybe yellow, maybe red, maybe orange). Inside the box, all the grounds come together in a clamp that may work loose over time. Check that before anything else if you have blinking lights or the pump sputters. Be grateful you have a Caravel -on any larger trailer, Airstream usually hid all this behind the fridge. Darol
Old 12-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Boise , Idaho
My god that made me laugh! Not sure if anybody else read it with the accent but I sure did. I'll be in Alabama/Florida for a week or so over the holidays but can't remember for the life of me where Pelham is...Seems like Birmingham just a little south. Meet me along I65 south and I'll gladly look at it and agree you got a mess if that will help. Flying into Birmingham the 23rd.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos
... I have to remove this inner skin because I am replacing the floor. I'm hoping I can remove all the rivets up to the top row and just bend the sheet up enough to get access to the c-channel. I hope the univolt wiring will let me do this. ...
Cosmos,

Bad idea, partly. You can't "roll up" the skins in the curved sections of the wall. It won't take much to remove that top row of rivets and the payback in reduced effort at the C channel will be zillions.

Darol,

If that power converter is a two-output transformer, where does the DC come from and are the fans and pump motor spec'd at 19V? Can this whole mess be converted to 12VDC?

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Cosmos,

Bad idea, partly. You can't "roll up" the skins in the curved sections of the wall. It won't take much to remove that top row of rivets and the payback in reduced effort at the C channel will be zillions.

Darol,

If that power converter is a two-output transformer, where does the DC come from and are the fans and pump motor spec'd at 19V? Can this whole mess be converted to 12VDC?

Zep
12 volts AC or DC, doesn't matter to a light bulb.

But what kind of voltage, AC or DC, does matter to a motor.

19 volts AC, to the fan motors, is the same effective voltage as 12 volts DC.

To make the conversion from the original 12 volt AC and 19 volt AC transformer outputs, to a true univolt takes less than 30 minutes.

If you install a separate fuse panel for the univolt output, then add another 30 minutes.

That transformer setup is where the original name of "Univolt" came from.

It was first used in the 1964 models, and then again in 1965, but only in the Caravel (17 foot) model.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
12 volts AC or DC, doesn't matter to a light bulb.

But what kind of voltage, AC or DC, does matter to a motor.

19 volts AC, to the fan motors, is the same effective voltage as 12 volts DC.

/snip/
Andy
Ditto what he said - with an addendum. The fans work fine, however, the new Shur Flo water pump does NOT like the 19 VAC. It makes noise, but does not work on AC. I didn't try the old PAR pump on 19 VAC, but I assume it probably ran fine.

JB
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
...19 volts AC, to the fan motors, is the same effective voltage as 12 volts DC....
Andy,

You're hurtin' my head, as usual. AC voltage is usually given as an RMS value, which would make 19 VAC a lot more forceful than 12 VDC. I'm guessing that that 19 volt number is peak, not RMS. 'Course, none of this makes sense....unless there's something about an AC/DC motor that requires more push in the AC.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
a look at the 1965 "Univolt"

Thanks for all the good replies. Darol’s description of this “Univolt” as a switchbox is exactly right. The nameplate says “Univolt” but inside it has just toggle switches and circuit breakers. It has battery connections but it doesn’t charge the battery except thru the pigtail. I’m going to keep it. Darol’s identification of the wire colors and their functions is a big help.

For Zep’s question, 110 AC runs from the breaker box to a transformer. Out come a 19-volt AC and a 12-volt AC wire. Those two wires go to this simple “univolt” and the switches simply allow the choice this AC or the battery DC. The motors accept AC or DC. But 12 volts AC alternates and doesn’t have the constant push of 12 volts DC for the AC/DC motor. And while light bulbs don’t care about the variation of AC, motors need the boost from 12 to 19 volts to give roughly the same performance.

Also, Zep, thanks for offering to stop by. I’ll be traveling too at that time so unfortunately we’ll miss each other. Pelham, by the way is indeed just south of Birmingham, y’all. OH, this simple “Univolt” still works fine, I was just wondering if all the wires sticking out like this was “original” or not. And thanks for the advise for just removing the skin rather than trying to roll it up. I’ll do that and save some swearing for another project.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

The '66 Caravel I'm currently working on also has the 12/19 vac transformer. It will be replaced by an Intellipower unit to provide the correct 12vdc power to fans and pump as well as to charge the battery when connected to "city" power. The first one of these I ran into was on a '65 Caravel. It had the owner's manual with a wiring diagram and a short note about the 12V/19V circuits. I called Airstream and asked to speak with the oldest person in the repair shop for further information. They couldn't find anyone who was around in '65 or an owner's manual that old, but they assured me that a system like that "just could not work." That was good for a laugh! Darol
Old 12-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #11

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The good news is that the VAC has a pdf version of the 65 owners manual in it's library. Here is the diagram of the power distribution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65car.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	50427  
Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
The 1965 caravel univolt

LOL Darol, the old timers didn't have micro-chips and computer circuits to confuse them like the younger engineers do now. I guess there must be something different, heavy duty or expensive about a motor built to run on both AC and DC and maybe the modern motors aren't made like this. That would explain the pump note above. On a positive note, I suppose that if you have shore power you usually have city water, too, so an AC pump isn't needed.

As far as the wiring diagram, thank you! I actually received an original 1965 owners manual with my coach! Complete with the original lifetime guaranty certificate to the original owner!

The only thing I don't see in the diagram is the wiring to the breakaway switch. It seems a little strange to run these wires all the way back to the univolt, but then again, this is where the battery was placed.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Andy,

You're hurtin' my head, as usual. AC voltage is usually given as an RMS value, which would make 19 VAC a lot more forceful than 12 VDC. I'm guessing that that 19 volt number is peak, not RMS. 'Course, none of this makes sense....unless there's something about an AC/DC motor that requires more push in the AC.

Zep
Zep

Sorry, but the 19 volts AC is RMS, which is 26.86 peak and 53.72 peak to peak.

The 19 volts AC voltage will make the fan motors that "AIRSTREAM" uses, work about the same as 12 volts DC. That does not apply to "every" type DC motor.

What makes sense, is if you take peak AC voltage times .70711,then you get the effective voltage.

If we take 19 volts AC tmes the same .70711, then we get 13.43 volts, which approximates the 12 volts DC.

Checking the RPM of the fan motor that Airstream uses,on both 12 volts DC and then on 19 volts AC, will be about the same.

The fan motor that Aistream uses is "series wound", meaning the armature and field are wired in series, and the motor has brushes that ride on the commutator, which is the primary cause for the Airstream fan motors to give out.

Since that motor is series wound, it can be taken apart, to reverse the wire connections on either the field or armature, to reverse the diection of armature rotation.

On occasion, some owners want to circulate considerable outside air through the trailer.

That is easily done by reversing the direction of rotation of one motor. That motor/fan assembly is then used to suck air into the trailer, say at the front or rear of the trailer, and at the opposite end of the trailer, the fan motor runs normally, to exhaust the air.

Of course when the fan motor is wired in reverse, the fan blade is simply turned upside down.

Works like a champ.

A setup like this has a huge positive effect on, ahem, bad cooking odors.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Univolt

Andy, that was a great explaination, complete with the arithmatic. Thanks!