Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
...Or another way to put it, is that a 12 volt DC series wound motor, requires 19 volts AC to turn the same RPM.

Andy
Thanks, Andy. What I don't know about electric motors would fill the entire motor book.

Zep
Old 12-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
front marker lights wiring

Zep, I wondered why I had a branching green wire at the at the connection to the 7 pin cable. If your coach is wired like mine, there will be a wire nut at the end of the 7pin cable in the patch area and there will be two wires joined there. I knew one ran to the rear of the coach but until now the other was a mystery. My tail light wires run through the frame from front to back.
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Another '65 caravel wiring question

I pulled up the old, rotted center section floor in the Caravel today. Underneath the insulation were three petrified mice and a pile of rodent crap and their lunch. (Of course I wore gloves and a respirator mask to avoid the possible ill effects from this Hanta Hilton.) but I digress...

Anway, also laynig on the belly pan were the blue charge wire going to the univolt, a red wire going to the brakes, a huge connection of several white ground wires going to the brakes, the univolt, etc. But there was also this thick yellow wire. What I wonder what this goes to? it was heading toward the univolt, too.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

The yellow wire is usually for the electric brakes. Depending on where you see the wire, it could be going to the axel or to the pigtale connection under the front curbside of the trailer. Did you remove enough floor to see where the front clearance light wires (green) come through the floor into the underbelly space? I'm still trying to fine mine! Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Speaking of motors mine was not working above the stove.
I removed it and the blade drilled A hole in the lower bearing cover.
I oiled it and put my drill on the fan blade side with power on, iI turned it the direction it went to suck out the heat.
I did this for A while and kept oiling it it soon came back to life and now works fine.
The Airstream Argosy motors are very heavy duty and take A lot of non oil to stop them.
I think water may find its way down there to the bottom.
I like to fix stuff if I can and keep it that way.
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Green wire to the marker lights

No, I left the front section of floor for last. And unfortunately I still have the front inner skin in place, so I don't know yet where the green wire passes through.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #27
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Intelipower ventilation

I was very happy to see the picture of the factory wiring at the beginning of this post. I thought some vandal had gotten under our gaucho and done some re-wiring. I am looking at replacing the old transfomer with an intelipower and wondered about ventilation. Should I not put it in the closed in compartment at the rear of the gaucho? If so has anyone found a good spot for it? Oh, it's for our Caravel. Thanks in advance.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldfield
I was very happy to see the picture of the factory wiring at the beginning of this post. I thought some vandal had gotten under our gaucho and done some re-wiring. I am looking at replacing the old transfomer with an intelipower and wondered about ventilation. Should I not put it in the closed in compartment at the rear of the gaucho? If so has anyone found a good spot for it? Oh, it's for our Caravel. Thanks in advance.
Here's a picture showing installation of a new intelipower in my 1965 Caravel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inteli.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	54108  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #29
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Wow, thank you. This helps a great deal. May I ask one more question? Can I elimnate all of the mess, the battery/shore power stuff, and just run the 12 volt from the Intelli-Power to the battery and then on to the various circuits? By that I mean install a 12 volt distribution panel and not worry switching back and forth?

Can you tell that I'm a little nervous about the electric stuff?

Tom O

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
Here's a picture showing installation of a new intelipower in my 1965 Caravel
Toastie,
That is a nice clean install. Good job! My only consern is that it appears the DC wiring could be a little under rated. I would recommend at least 8 AWG for a 45 amp converter. If that is indeed 8 AWG or larger, you're fine but it just looks small in the photo.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #31
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi,m

Does anyone have shematic for the control panne for 1985 Sov. I am trying to figure out why shore power does not work and what voltage it needs. DC or Ac.
If you do have schematic send it me at rdworian@comcast.net
Thank you very much
Ruseell in sunny and warm Tucson Az
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
Toastie,
That is a nice clean install. Good job! My only consern is that it appears the DC wiring could be a little under rated. I would recommend at least 8 AWG for a 45 amp converter. If that is indeed 8 AWG or larger, you're fine but it just looks small in the photo.
I will take a look as soon as the weather breaks, I will replace if not 8 AWG.
Thanks very much...........
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
rats nest

i am so delighted that i found these pictures. i was working on my 1965 caravel, looking at that distribution box and it looks just like the first picture. it gave me so much solace to realize that i am not the only one that has wiring that looks like that. i was convinced that someone had rewired it but in fact it looks so much like that picture that probably the same guy did it in the factory in 1965.
kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
This has come up 100s of times since then. You are not alone Kevin.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags