Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
8 ga wire connection problem

I'm in the process of installing a new Intelli-power using the recommended 8 AWG wire and have run into a problem . The instructions call for a three way splice and I'm not sure of the best way to make that connection ,plus I can't find anything to make it with . As far as I know wire nuts don't exist for 3 # 8 wires nor do three way crimp connectors.

All I can come up with is using an automotive single stud junction block. A Bussman # JB381602 looks like it would work if I can find somebody who sells them. I'm sure others have run into this problem and there has to be an easy solution.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
One solution is to use three #10 ring terminal ends, then bolt them together to form a solid connection...you might then use some silicone goo to coat and insulate the connection, or some electrical tape coiled around to cover - or both...

There are probably wire nuts large enough to handle three # 8 wires, available from an electrical supply house, but you'd probably have to buy a whole box quantity...

An electrical supply house should also have a copper lug large enough for the three wires to fit inside, and has a large set screw to secure the wires together...

Twisting the stripped ends of the wires together, with a little flux and then solder is probably the best way to insure good electrical conductivity...followed up with the silicone and tape...

The possibilities are (shockingly) endless...

Ray
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Call for help

I am sure that Randy, at Best Converter" will help you out.

I cant figure out your three way splice. Seems to me that the converter should have a power cord in, a ground wire out and a wire out to the pos battery terminal.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
The silicone will corrode the copper wires just like it will aluminun.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO Bob View Post
The silicone will corrode the copper wires just like it will aluminun.
Yep, try a "no-ox" compound. You can get it from your local electrical supply company. Look's a little bit like grease, but will keep the bare copper from corroding.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I was following the schematic that VTS and Inteli-power had . I guess an acceptable alternative is to hook the converter to the battery and then hook my 12v supply line directly into the battery also so that the battery is acting as the junction block?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Solder would be my choice, but one could also go to Radio Shack and get a terminal strip with a cover and a selection of wire lugs. Put lugs on wires and mount in the terminal strip. Place the strip in a convient location. This method will make convient trouble shooting in the future.

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Solder....
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
No Solder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebee View Post
Solder would be my choice, but one could also go to Radio Shack and get a terminal strip with a cover and a selection of wire lugs. Put lugs on wires and mount in the terminal strip. Place the strip in a convient location. This method will make convient trouble shooting in the future.
Crimp! Solder will cause the wire to break just past where the solder ends. This is why the FAA does not allow solder in Airplanes. There are few exceptions. The solder creates a hard end for the wire to flex under vibration.
You can get wire nuts up the #6 or possibly larger. Marine supply places will have crimp ends in any size you want.
You plan to run to the battery then another line off the battery will work well if your battery is not on a sliding tray.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Well you can use a split bolt. Available at hardware stores and home centers in sizes from 14 gauge to 1 gauge and larger. Cover with tape or shrink wrap....
Attached Images

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Or you can get something like this, from Affordable Solar. No tape required if you mount it inside an enclosure....
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Or you can get splices like these at most home centers. Again, tape and shink wrap.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Or you might be able to use something like this to get the number of splices down. Available at midsouthelectronics.com, stacked electrical lugs lug splicer reducer turn prevent mechanical connectors and probably elsewhere as well.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
You can also use a piece copper tubing. I used copper tubing regularly when I did automotive wiring. I prefer it compared to those prefabed connectors. just wrap it up afterwords with heat shrink tubing.
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
You can also use wire nuts. In most brands either the large gray or large blue connectors are sized for three #8 stranded.

Or you can crimp the ends to ring terminals and stack the rings on a stud.

There are also high-quality crimp terminals that work well in these sizes. Borrow the tools from a friend who is an electrician or lineman as they're several hundred dollars.

In general, good high-current DC design minimizes the number of free-floating splices. You want to have things bolted down to equipment terminals or busbars whenever possible, because it keeps the splice accessible so you can check later to be sure it's not heating up.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Problem solved

Found exactly what I wanted in the West Marine catalogue , it's a power post , you can stack three ring terminals on it and it also has a protective rubber boot that covers everything. I know a lot of other suggestions would work fine, but I just don't like wire nuts or splices if I can avoid them. When you can see everything it makes it a lot easier to work on and maintain.