Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
78 Sovereign: batter recharger\transformer puzzle

Howdy Folks:

I am restoring a 78 Sovereign Land Yacht.

The battery was shot. The interior forward exhaust fan was shorted out. The previous owner pulled the fuse.

When I took ownership, I noted the transformer was cooking hot when everything was hooked up and running. The trailer is hooked up to 110v.

I suspected the transformer may be damaged. I pulled it and had it tested out. They electrician says the transformer is putting out 14v fine. I re-installed transformer and purchased a new battery.

When I plugged the unit back in, the transformer is humming loudly, like when you first hook up a battery to recharge. I checked the status panel over the stove. The panel says the battery is low\dead.
(and it's not, it's new...)

I voltage tested the two heavy cables during reinstall. I have them hooked up the right way.

I am new to this trailer. Do I disregard the status panel over the stove and live with this? I don't want to. I like all my little gizmos working good. I pulled the plug on the transformer and pulled the batter cable for now until I know I'm not heavy draining or over-charging the new battery.

Can anyone offer some suggestions what should be done next? Much obliged everyone.

<humbly bowing>

page.crow
page.crow is offline   Reply With Quote