Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
1964 22' Safari
Houston , Texas
'64 Safari Converter Question Fan/Pump Switch

Hoping someone has a solution: In our '64 Safari, after renovating the interior, the original converter seemed to work just fine so I decided not change out. Separate (but wired to) the converter and fuse box, there is a box at an angle facing the rear access door which has two switches: 1 for fans/pump the other for lights. Flip up or down for "city or Battery" power. The "lights" one does what it's supposed to do. However, when I put the fans/pump switch to "city" power it runs both the 12 volt ceiling vent fan (new) and the 12 volt water pump (also new) in reverse. When I switch to "battery" power they run correctly. Has anyone come across this issue and is there an easy fix for a moderately capable handy guy?

Not looking right at the moment to switch out the converter - Thanks for any trouble shooting info.
Rich
Castiniron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castiniron View Post
Hoping someone has a solution: In our '64 Safari, after renovating the interior, the original converter seemed to work just fine so I decided not change out. Separate (but wired to) the converter and fuse box, there is a box at an angle facing the rear access door which has two switches: 1 for fans/pump the other for lights. Flip up or down for "city or Battery" power. The "lights" one does what it's supposed to do. However, when I put the fans/pump switch to "city" power it runs both the 12 volt ceiling vent fan (new) and the 12 volt water pump (also new) in reverse. When I switch to "battery" power they run correctly. Has anyone come across this issue and is there an easy fix for a moderately capable handy guy?

Not looking right at the moment to switch out the converter - Thanks for any trouble shooting info.
Rich
I am not at all familiar with that setup, but I believe that there is a 98% probability that somewhere there are two 12 volt wires swapped positive and negative, perhaps between the converter and and the pump/fan switch. However since incandescent lights operate the same whether positive or negative, it could be else where. If you know how to use a multimeter, then you can tell you where the voltage is positive and where it is negative, If you don't know how to use the meter, get help from someone who does.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castiniron View Post

Rich
It would seem to me, that the backwards running, is when the rig is on battery and not the AC.

Your converter is nothing more than a 12 volt and 19 volt AC transformer.

The 12 volts AC goes to the lights and the 19 volts AC goes to the fans, which sort of duplicates 12 volts DC, at least as far as the motor's are concerned.

Changing the system out to use a Univolt converter, takes but a few minutes to do.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #4

1964 22' Safari
OakPark , Virginia
I have the same system ('64 Safari) and have also installed a new ceiling vent fan. In my case however, the new fan simply hummed and blew its fuse (city power mode). I assumed that 19VAC simply wasn't close enough to 12VDC, but I'm only just marginal with electronics. Should I have expected the new fan to function fine with the old UniVolt? I was preparing to swap the Univolt on a new converter, but would like to avoid if that's not necessary.
ZorkLulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorkLulu View Post
I have the same system ('64 Safari) and have also installed a new ceiling vent fan. In my case however, the new fan simply hummed and blew its fuse (city power mode). I assumed that 19VAC simply wasn't close enough to 12VDC, but I'm only just marginal with electronics. Should I have expected the new fan to function fine with the old UniVolt? I was preparing to swap the Univolt on a new converter, but would like to avoid if that's not necessary.
As far as the vent fan motors are concerned, they recognize 12 volts DC, the same as 19 volts AC.

I suspect you have a bad motor.

Thousand of others work just fine for the owners.

Andy
Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Andy, is there only one circuit at 19 vac from the Univolt, and does it provide ac only when it's connected to 120vac shore power?
Do the bathroom exhaust fan, and the water pump operate on 19 vac?
edglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
Andy, is there only one circuit at 19 vac from the Univolt, and does it provide ac only when it's connected to 120vac shore power?
Do the bathroom exhaust fan, and the water pump operate on 19 vac?
The "univolt" in your 64, is not really a univolt, as we know know it.

What you have is a simple transformer with a 12 volt and 19 volt "AC" output.

That transformer does absolutely nothing, until the trailer is plugged into city power.

All the motors, regardless of use, run on the 19 volts AC, but if I remember correctly, the water pump motor operates off of 12 volts DC, at all times.

Also, as a hint, if you still have the "International Oil Burner" LPG furnace, DON'T USE IT, as they love to explode.

Andy