Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
600w vs 1000w inverter

is there a big difference in capacity? What ais the downside of having only a 600 watt inverter?
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It is going to depend upon what you wish to power with the inverter. Look at the amp draw for the device. Yeah, I think that is probably a important difference in capacity.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by easiryder View Post
is there a big difference in capacity? What ais the downside of having only a 600 watt inverter?
At the risk of sounding flip, you can only run 600w of 120v devices from battery power.

Basically, if you already have a 600w inverter there's little reason to upgrade unless you just desperately need to run a microwave when boondocking. If you're starting from scratch, though, I'd go with the 1000w unless it's much less efficient or much more expensive.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The only way to know if it will work for you is to look at the devices you want the inverter to power, and see if 600 watts is enough.

Either 600 or 1000 watt units must be directly wired to the batteries, so no more work to install the larger capacity.

Considering that if your devices need near the capacity of the 600 watt unit, it may be better to install the 1000, since it would functioning at 60% capacity instead of nearly full output.

Remember that inverters used up battery power like kids eat ice cream. Fast and lots of it.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
Anything with a motor, like a furnace fan and (especially) a compressor fridge will take much more watts to start than to run. The label spec will show running watts. Fridge is about 5x running watts = starting watts.

www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Mcdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
I was about ready to order a new 2014 flying cloud 25 with fb twins and 1000w inverter, awnings and leather. I found a 2013 fling cloud 25 with rear bed twins. Has a 600w inverter, solar package, awning package, but does not have leather. Dealer will transfer the remaining 17 months of warranty to me. If the inverter is a big deal I could probably negotiate for them to install 1000 w. we really liked the leather. The 2013 has never been used and kept in a garage. Price difference is nearly $10K. Going to look at it this afternoon.

Thoughts?
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There are two kinds of inverters. Modified sine wave and pure sine wave. The "modified" sine wave are cheaper and have lower standby power requirements but since they have a poorer waveform they are generally falling out of favor as the best inverter solution in an RV.

Prices on pure sine wave inverters have fallen recently, and although still more expensive than the modified type, are not too high for the advantages they give.

The main disadvantage to a pure sine wave inverter is the standby current they require to just be on, even when doing nothing, or with a very low load on them. By low load, I mean a few watts, such as a phone charger, or even a smaller laptop computer. The modified sine wave inverters generally take about 0.4 amps just sitting there doing nothing, some of them even less. All pure sine wave inverters I have measured take much more, in the range of 1.5 amps at idle. BTW, the standby losses are generally close to the same, no matter what the size (in watts) of output from the inverter. That is a larger inverter does not have a higher standby loss.

Standby loss seems to be a general characteristic of the class. Modified sine wave inverters have lower idle current draw. I still would buy the pure sine wave inverter, just pointing this fact out.

As to wattage, buy what you need. If you are only going to power a few small items such as chargers, TV and DVD players etc. there is no need for a large inverter. If you want to power a larger device (for a short time) such as a small microwave or toaster, a larger one is necessary.

My Argosy has a 1000 watt modified sine wave inverter which I installed years ago and it has been satisfactory for things like my computer, and other loads such as a toaster now and then. I don't worry much about the idle current on it, which is less than half an amp. I leave it on, often by accident, with no problem.

My new Airstream FC 20' has the factory 1000 watt sine wave inverter option, and I like it, but must remember to shut it off when not in use due to the much higher idling current it requires, over an amp and a half.

I tend to ramble on, but I hope this helps a bit.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by easiryder View Post
I was about ready to order a new 2014 flying cloud 25 with fb twins and 1000w inverter, awnings and leather. I found a 2013 fling cloud 25 with rear bed twins. Has a 600w inverter, solar package, awning package, but does not have leather. Dealer will transfer the remaining 17 months of warranty to me. If the inverter is a big deal I could probably negotiate for them to install 1000 w. we really liked the leather. The 2013 has never been used and kept in a garage. Price difference is nearly $10K. Going to look at it this afternoon.

Thoughts?
I would not let the smaller inverter change your decision one way or the other. BTW both are pure sine wave inverters.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just so you know...... A Magnum inverter with the ME-RC remote will have no standby draw as you can manually turn it off/on. Also, they have a highly adjustable and capable 4-stage charging system included with full temperature compensation.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
What I need is a small inverter with a search function which automatically turns on when there is a load, and off when not. I simply forget to turn the things off when done with them. On is no problem, what I want to power does not work until I turn it on....LOL.

The big 4000 watt Trace 4048 Sine Wave inverter I had for my home solar system had the search function, but I have not seen any smaller ones with that feature.

The Airstream inverter option has a manual wall switch, but one has to remember to turn it off.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I installed the Morningstar Sure Sine 300 watt inverter, it is rated to supply 600 watts continuous for 15 minutes. It is very efficient, not even requiring a fan, which is good for noise concerns. It draws 25 mA off and 55 mA at idle. If left on continuous for 24 hours it would draw just 0.8% of total battery power, so little to be of no real concern.

I wired mine in with a lighted auto switch. When on the switch glows red, this way I'm reminded its on.

I use my inverter to power the TV's/DVD player, run a small vacuum, various small kitchen appliances or power tools, and charge cell phones. Out of the question is the microwave, a toaster, and coffee pot, all of which would require a much bigger and heavier inverter of at least 1,500 watts.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
What I need is a small inverter with a search function which automatically turns on when there is a load, and off when not. I simply forget to turn the things off when done with them. On is no problem, what I want to power does not work until I turn it on....LOL.

The big 4000 watt Trace 4048 Sine Wave inverter I had for my home solar system had the search function, but I have not seen any smaller ones with that feature.

The Airstream inverter option has a manual wall switch, but one has to remember to turn it off.
\

Magnums have a search setting on the remote that allow you to keep the inverter off until it sees a load at a preset value; 5 watts, 20 watts, etc. It won't invert until the specified load threshold is reached.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I installed the Morningstar Sure Sine 300 watt inverter, it is rated to supply 600 watts continuous for 15 minutes. It is very efficient, not even requiring a fan, which is good for noise concerns. It draws 25 mA off and 55 mA at idle. If left on continuous for 24 hours it would draw just 0.8% of total battery power, so little to be of no real concern.

I wired mine in with a lighted auto switch. When on the switch glows red, this way I'm reminded its on.

I use my inverter to power the TV's/DVD player, run a small vacuum, various small kitchen appliances or power tools, and charge cell phones. Out of the question is the microwave, a toaster, and coffee pot, all of which would require a much bigger and heavier inverter of at least 1,500 watts.
Hey, thanks for that information. I have used Morningstar Sine wave 300's in the past but they didn't have that automatic power down feature which is a great addition to an already very very good little inverter. Also, I note from the new data sheet on their web site that the idle load while inverting is only half an amp, which is much less than the old versions of the same product. Just excellent to learn of that change. I can see one in my future as an addition to the high idle current 1000 watt factory one I have in the 20' FC.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
\

Magnums have a search setting on the remote that allow you to keep the inverter off until it sees a load at a preset value; 5 watts, 20 watts, etc. It won't invert until the specified load threshold is reached.
Lew: that is also good to know. The world of electronics keeps changing, and I had not seen the new design Morningstar 300, nor had I run across the search function on the Magnums.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Lew: that is also good to know. The world of electronics keeps changing, and I had not seen the new design Morningstar 300, nor had I run across the search function on the Magnums.
In the set-up menu of the ME-RC, there is a bracket for 'search watts' that can be adjusted from 0-50 watts and is used to have the inverter 'look' for a load before coming on.