Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Bozeman , MT
6 Volts Golf cart batteries

Hi everyone,
I am looking at replacing my two 12 Volts batteries and someone recommended getting two 6 volt golf cart batteries and paring them up as a 12 volt battery. Yes, is a bit more expensive but you get 1.5 times the battery run time and a longer battery life. I seems like a no brainer to me to spend a few extra bucks for the extra run time. Are there any disadvantage I don't know about?
Also, anyone knows about Deka batteries. I can get Deka batteries locally or with some effort some Trojans Batteries for an extra 10 bucks each. Is it worth the effort to get the Trojans?
Paolo
marchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I prefer the dual 6-volt setup for boondocking because the 6-volt batteries are larger and beefier than their 12-volt counterparts. The only disadvantage of the 6-volt batteries is if one cell goes "bad." But in all my years of trailering I've never had that happen.

I prefer the Trojan 6-volt batteries, but there are other makes just as good.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
no you don't get 1.5 the runtime. _Look at the specs!_

What you do get is about 10 watt hours usable energy per pound of battery for any lead acid battery in common use in RV's. The usual golf cart battery is a bit larger (heavier) than a group 27 or about the size of a group 31.

You also won't get longer life - that depends more than anything else on your battery maintenance and proper use.

Don't fall for the myths. Look at the spec sheets and warranties. Get batteries from a reputable dealer who sells a lot to folks that use them like you do and will stand behind what he sells. See Basic battery guidelines for some ideas.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I have tried both, and like the ruggedness of the golf cart batteries. I did see longer run-times with the 2 golf cart batteries when compared to 2 group 27 12 volt batteries.

However, I have switched to 2 12 volt AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries and have been very please with the results. I did upgrade the univolt to a xantrex (sp?) converter and I do like the result.

Best regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
What the 6v. types give you, is true "deep cycle" performance, in a smaller footprint space, and some additional capacity. The plates are thicker, and there is more "top water", above the plates. In any case, a quality 3 stage charger, is highly recomended, for a proper charging regimen. Yes, for only a few bucks more, the Trojans are worth it.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Just went through the process with my 2004 Bambi. Finally decided to go with the local dealer for Deka 6V batteries. But whoops! The 6V batteries are almost 11" tall. And the battery box is only 10" deep! So rather than rebuilding the box, I went with two Deka 12V AGM's.

Before you make the decision to switch, make sure they will fit!
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
re: 'true deep cycle' - no such thing for batteries commonly used for RV service. If you want your batteries to last, you don't deep discharge them (below 12.0v after resting at least a half hour). This is true for all lead acid batteries including AGM's.

The other consideration is that typical RV use doesn't cycle batteries that much. Figure out how many times you really cycle your batteries over a typical life and compare that to the hundred or so cycles even SLI batteries will handle. On the other end of the scale, the most rugged batteries will handle maybe a few hundred cycles down 80%. (but you only have 250 weekends in 5 years!).

As for capacity, yes the T105 battery is sized closer to a group 31 and is bigger than the group 24 or 27 usually found on new Airstreams so it will have a bit more capacity - but so will a group 31 (as mojo notes, check for fit!). Also note that many factors will vary the capacity available by up to 20% including cycle to cycle variances (re batteryuniversity.com), temperature, current draw profile (re Peukert), and age.

As for life span - Az Wind Sun has a rundown on what they have found and it does not show the TDC6vGC battery to have any significant edge. I'll take the aggragate statistics as a better measure than anecdote as I've replaced my B-Van house battery after 7 years just because its life span was making me nervous so I know any lead acid battery can have a longer than average life span.

If you look at the manufacturer's line cards you'll see that they provide a range of batteries in various sizes and voltages. The trade-offs are capacity, 'ruggedness', and cost - pick any two. You'll find a lot of reluctance to specify 'ruggedness' so the best indicator you have is warranty - and that is more related to how the manufacturer thinks you are going to be using the battery than anything else.

The 3 stage charger reccomendation is a good one but it is maintenance in storage that is often more important for many RVers. There you need something that will inhibit sulfation like the IntelliPower Charge Wizard or the Battery Minder as well as keep a top charge on the battery.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
More information at this thread.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 AM   #9
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
So, do the later model AS's have the the multi stage type charging that is advised??

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Bozeman , MT
Hi you all, thanks for all the answers! I ended up buying a pair of 6 Volts Trojan batteries. I have learn a good piece information on this transaction. You can buy batteries directly through distributors in my case was through Battery Systems. Trojan website had them listed by area. I was able to purchase a pair of T105s for $109, almost $50 cheaper than through Battery Plus which was the only store in Bozeman Montana that carried them. If you guys ever need batteries go directly through the distributor...
Happy Trails
Paolo
marchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

you hear alot about the T 105s

I switch over to Optima AGMs because I didn't want to deal with watering the batts, and I didn't have room for two vented batts. My buddy was using my old T 105s as his aux batts in his motorhome. A few days ago he upgraded to 4 bigger trojan 6 volts. ( T 205s or something ) they are a bit taller but have much better specs than the T105s
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
So, do the later model AS's have the the multi stage type charging that is advised??

Tom
No. They save a few bucks on the converter and also installed the batteries with the least capacity on ours.

We have a solar panel and it's controller has the 3 stage charger, so we don't plug in the trailer at home (unless we're running the refrigerator).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote