Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 AM   #61
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Oh, come on UB; how many posts have you seen here on the Forum where folks have had bad batteries for what ever reason, all from Interstate??
What ever the reasons, you see a post a week almost where folks are asking for "help" trouble shooting their "new" AS with Interstate battery issues... Just happens Interstate is in the "barrel" for now... Good news, is they seem to stand behind their products and will replace under warranty. As for 12V or 6V; AGM vs wet cell vs Lithium; so far, I am with the folks using 6V. Good luck with my Trojans...many good things said about them over the years...same with Li's, but a bit too expensive for me to switch...my 6V set up works fine. Take care of your batteries, no matter which one you get, and it likely will last awhile for your needs.
Hi

Given that something like 90% of the trailers come new with Interstate batteries and people tend to buy what they started with, I can't imagine anything *but* a number of complaints about Interstate. If Bob's Batteries was the stock item Airstream shipped, you would hear a lot about Bob's Batteries. People don't get on here and "complain" about stock batteries that didn't fail. There *is* no way to see 9 posts about "they worked fine" and then one about "I had a problem" on the portion of them that did OK.

Are some batteries better? The T105's for whatever reason from Trojan do seem to be a better battery based on testing. Testing where? Well in golf carts for one. Those guys run through a batch in a year or maybe two if they are lucky. They *do* track the numbers. Boats are next, they also go through batteries (even if they are good) a lot faster than we do.

Why do they go through batteries faster? More charge / discharge cycles. Also probably higher charge and discharge rates. If you dump the entire bank once or twice a day / every day that's a lot of cycles. It also is a very different usage pattern than an RV, but cycles are generally what kill batteries.

So again - don't confuse "6V" with "better". That's not what's going on here.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #62
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Don't confuse opinion with expertise. Some posts on this thread have linked to experts. Experts, not sales men. Other posts are just opinion.

All my advice is free and that is the money it is worth. Same with others.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Don't confuse opinion with expertise. Some posts on this thread have linked to experts. Experts, not sales men. Other posts are just opinion.

All my advice is free and that is the money it is worth. Same with others.
Agree...would add at some point, opinion may become expertise...4 Airstreams over 15 years; 3 of them with Interstate battery issues...think there might be something there worth sharing?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Agree...would add at some point, opinion may become expertise...4 Airstreams over 15 years; 3 of them with Interstate battery issues...think there might be something there worth sharing?
Like a lot of the information on this site.

People mix anecdotal experience with expertise. There's a very real difference between the two.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Like a lot of the information on this site.

People mix anecdotal experience with expertise. There's a very real difference between the two.
True...some people also tend to think their "opinion" trumps someone else's experience...I would just say, that enough experience on some things can also make someone an "expert" at some point...but you may disagree....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
True...some people also tend to think their "opinion" trumps someone else's experience...I would just say, that enough experience on some things can also make someone an "expert" at some point...but you may disagree....
My research and your experience are absolutely in agreement in this case. Yet others experience can't help them see past the commentary to find supporting data. Even as it is linked here in this thread.

There's enough factual information to be found out there that definitely shows how and why the 6V battery format make for better batteries.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #67
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
My research and your experience are absolutely in agreement in this case. Yet others experience can't help them see past the commentary to find supporting data. Even as it is linked here in this thread.

There's enough factual information to be found out there that definitely shows how and why the 6V battery format make for better batteries.
Hi

Of and by it's self 6V does *not* make for a *better* battery format. Thus any "factual information" that says so is .... errrr ... wrong.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Of and by it's self 6V does *not* make for a *better* battery format. Thus any "factual information" that says so is .... errrr ... wrong.

Bob
Ptek- I see your point here with UB...