Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
2018 27FB Inverter failure? Better replacement?

On our first major trip in our new 2028 TB 27FB Airstream, the inverter stopped functioning.

When on batteries none of the inverter outlets work and the remote switch to enable and disable the inverter no longer shows a green LED when you toggle it on.

Looking in the manual it states that if an overload condition occurs it will reset itself, I do not think this is what occurred. Also upon direct inspection of the inverter the LED panel display is nothing regardless of any buttons pressed.

We will be taking it back to airstream of Scottsdale soon for our punchlist but was wondering if:

1. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

2. Assuming it will be replaced, what alternate units have others used or have good experience with?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Do your batteries have a full charge?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Depending a bit on which inverter you have ....

1) There is a giant fuse between the inverter and the battery. If this pops, the inverter stops.

2) There is either a breaker or a fuse on the inverter it's self. If the fuse goes, the inverter outlets die both on inverter and on shore power.

3) There is a breaker on the AC panel that feeds the inverter. If this pops, you will have nothing on the inverter outlets when on shore power. They will work ok on invert.

Best guess is it's either the inverter or the fuse. If it's the fuse, next question would be why it blew. They are a darn expensive fuse to replace and not super easy to find.

Lots of fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Do you have solar on your Airstream? I discovered that my inverter will not function when I solar charger raises the voltage above 14.4V. I green LED lights up and I can hear the fan, but the inverter doesn't deliver power to the receptacles. When the charger drops down to float charge at 13.5, then it functions just fine.

Mark
Subzero-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Do your batteries have a full charge?

Yes, batteries show 100.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero-AK View Post
Do you have solar on your Airstream? I discovered that my inverter will not function when I solar charger raises the voltage above 14.4V. I green LED lights up and I can hear the fan, but the inverter doesn't deliver power to the receptacles. When the charger drops down to float charge at 13.5, then it functions just fine.

Mark

Yes, factory solar. No green LED regardless on remote inverter switch.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Depending a bit on which inverter you have ....

1) There is a giant fuse between the inverter and the battery. If this pops, the inverter stops.

2) There is either a breaker or a fuse on the inverter it's self. If the fuse goes, the inverter outlets die both on inverter and on shore power.

3) There is a breaker on the AC panel that feeds the inverter. If this pops, you will have nothing on the inverter outlets when on shore power. They will work ok on invert.

Best guess is it's either the inverter or the fuse. If it's the fuse, next question would be why it blew. They are a darn expensive fuse to replace and not super easy to find.

Lots of fun !!

Bob

Given that the display panel on the inverter no longer displays anything - my guess is bad inverter. Will let AS deal with it under warranty.

I have the stock 1000W inverter.

AC breakers all were fine, nothing there. Even cycled them all just in case.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Are you sure the mechanical switch on the inverter itself is turned on?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Are you sure the mechanical switch on the inverter itself is turned on?

Yes - confirmed it is in the on position.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Given that the display panel on the inverter no longer displays anything - my guess is bad inverter. Will let AS deal with it under warranty.

I have the stock 1000W inverter.

AC breakers all were fine, nothing there. Even cycled them all just in case.
Hi

A fuse *could* easily be the issue....

Bob
Old 07-15-2018, 07:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
I was thinking that if it were the large fuse it would do nothing at all? When shore power is active, the green light on the inverter itself does light up. So there is some power reaching it.

The remote LED is inop.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Teeter5

2017 25' Flying Cloud
conroe , Texas
I’m curious as well from OP for anyone who has replaced or upgraded the stock inverter in newer AS? What have you used Have a 2017 FC 25rb with stock 1k unit.
Just curious if anyone has.
teeter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I was thinking that if it were the large fuse it would do nothing at all? When shore power is active, the green light on the inverter itself does light up. So there is some power reaching it.

The remote LED is inop.
Hi

The shore power side sort of "does it's own thing". The transfer switch shore power input is very much separate from the 12V side of things.

Bob
Old 07-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter5 View Post
I’m curious as well from OP for anyone who has replaced or upgraded the stock inverter in newer AS? What have you used Have a 2017 FC 25rb with stock 1k unit.
Just curious if anyone has.
Hi

A number of us have swapped them out. The Victron Multi 2000 ( = what I used) or the Multi 3000 are common picks. They let you eliminate the converter / charger at the same time.

Bob
Old 07-16-2018, 07:36 AM   #15
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
On our first major trip in our new 2028 TB 27FB Airstream, the inverter stopped functioning.

When on batteries none of the inverter outlets work and the remote switch to enable and disable the inverter no longer shows a green LED when you toggle it on.

Looking in the manual it states that if an overload condition occurs it will reset itself, I do not think this is what occurred. Also upon direct inspection of the inverter the LED panel display is nothing regardless of any buttons pressed.

We will be taking it back to airstream of Scottsdale soon for our punchlist but was wondering if:

1. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms?

2. Assuming it will be replaced, what alternate units have others used or have good experience with?

Thanks in advance!
Hi UncleBad,

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

A number of us have swapped them out. The Victron Multi 2000 ( = what I used) or the Multi 3000 are common picks. They let you eliminate the converter / charger at the same time.

Bob

uncle_bob, not following you on elimination of the converter / charger? Does it combine those functions?
Old 07-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
uncle_bob, not following you on elimination of the converter / charger? Does it combine those functions?
Hi

Yes, the Victron Multi's are inverter /chargers. They combine both functions in a box that is about the same size as the Victron charger ( think in terms of the AS inverter + charger for comparison). The advantages come when you wire things up. There is less 12V wiring ( inverter wires are charger wires). There also is less 120V wiring ( inverter circuit drives the charger ). Price wise ... not cheap. Much cheaper than a replacement converter that blows a bunch of LED lights when it malfunctions...... ( yes, I'm on my third converter. Stock unit failed due to a mechanical issue. First replacement from a well known source failed, the third one (Victron) seems to be running ok).

Bob
Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona

Airstream gave me a call but I was in the middle of a myriad of conference calls. I am hoping I can just skip a step and replace with a Victron. I know there would be a price difference but would not mind paying it.

I had planned to upgrade to a Victron charge controller as well when I add/upgrade to more solar capacity in the future.

Still learning the systems - if I went with the Victron Multi would I still need the Victron charge controller?

By the way, I have an actual physical Uncle Bob, it’s great to now have a virtual one!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are a lot of threads here showing what people have done to upgrade their RV's with various bits of Victron gear. Most are focused on solar, but they get into the rest of it. I would suggest spending some quality time running through a few of them.

Simple answer:

The Victron Multi 2000 ( or 3000)

https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-MultiP...hoCQxEQAvD_BwE

Replaces both the inverter and the converter / charger. (Yes, that is a plug for PKYS above, Peter is a good guy). You still will need something to handle the solar (if you have solar or add it). The MPPT solar controllers are Victron's way to get that done.

A "typical" install ( = over the top, ... we're all into gizmos ...) includes something like the BMV 712 to monitor battery charge state. It might also include a central controller like the Venus or the Color panel. I would suggest putting money into lithium batteries before you put in the bells and whistles. The Battle Born's are one option there. These days, there is no reason to go with a lithium setup that does not have a built in BMS.

You can do this as a "little bit at a time" sort of project. In my case, there would have been a lot of ripping out and replacing if I had done it that way. What I wound up with is not at all what I thought I would do back 6 months ago when I first started thinking about all this. I'm still not quite done. I'd like to add at least one more panel to the roof. I'll pay somebody to do that part.

Bob
Old 07-17-2018, 12:29 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Wayland , Massachusetts
Inverter issues

We were at the 4 corners rally in Santa Fe last June when our electrical power went out on our 2016 26U. Our battery level read over charge and we could get no power to anything. Hence PANIC set in. We had taken delivery in February 2018 from Colonial in New Jersey and this was a first "long" trip. In April we had replaced our batteries with new $750.00 sealed batteries. When the power went out I called the local New Mexico Airstream dealer and they were ZERO help. I telephoned a local on-site repair company and they replaced our converter/inverter. The general consensus of opinion was that the original inverter/converter equipment was insufficient for the trailer and should be replaced. The general consensus at the rally of the 25 or so other Airstreamers agreed. We replaced (for several hundreds of dollars) it with a TCRU Series Model 55TCRU. What TCRU means I do not know. In doing the repair, the local repair guy said that there is insuffucient cooling area in the designed space for the unit and so the fan runs all the time. Additional holes were needed to open the area for air circulation. I have not done this and sought help from the mothership. They were so busy they told me that they could not see me until October so that even though I was passing by on my way back to Massachusetts they could not accommodate us. They said that the inverter/converter that was installed the Parallax Power Supply Model 55TCRU was MAYBE not the right unit despite the fact that it was working. I am very disappointed in Airstream, and completely puzzled by the whole (in my view very complicated) electrical system. Any thoughts?
jsfranchek is offline   Reply With Quote