Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Birmingham , Alabama
20 Amp GFI breaker blows when plugging in New IOTA Converter

We have just finished repairing our floor in our "85 Excella and I am installing the new IOTA DLS 55-IQ4 12 Volt 55 AMP 3 Stage Auto Smart charging system replacing the original Triad Utrad 750-6 50 Amp univolt. When I plug the New IOTA into the outlet that was originally placed between the battery boxes for the older univolt it blows the breaker. I found that this outlet is connected to a 20 Amp GFI breaker. Could this breaker be my problem? When I plug the IOTA in any other outlet it is fine. It is not conneted to the battery yet. Just simply testing it before putting the interior wall back up. Do I need to put the IOTA on it's own breaker or change the GFI breaker to a high AMP?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Try the new converter on a GFI in the house and see if it trips out the one there. If so, there may be a problem in the new converter. If not, there is some issue in the AS electrical system, including the GFI itself. Sometimes they get hyper sensitive and trip out for no reason. Do not replace it with a higher amp one, and there is no need to put the converter/charger on its own circuit. There may be some problems with the GFI circuit itself, everything from damp spider webs to slight cumulative leakage in the wire run, just below the 5 ma leakage rate of the GFI, and the new converter has a little internal leakage which pushes the system over the edge.

These can be tricky to find, I wish I could give you more concrete instructions.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
This type of converter should be hard wired in, in my opinion. There should be a fault fuse in the inverter itself to protect it, if the voltage or power spikes. It should be wired in with at least 10 gage wire not the lighter gage you are plugging into. Hope that helps!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
This type of converter should be hard wired in, in my opinion. There should be a fault fuse in the inverter itself to protect it, if the voltage or power spikes. It should be wired in with at least 10 gage wire not the lighter gage you are plugging into. Hope that helps!
Why?????? It comes with a grounded plug, AS provides an outlet specifically for a converter and this model draws MAXIMUM of 900 watts...if the battery is depleted.....much less most of the time.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The cord that comes on the converter is just fine. The converter will only draw a max of 6 amps, 720 watts, on the 120volt side.
Larger wire is required on the DC side because of the lower voltage and higher current (amps). 12 volts x 60 amps = 720 watts.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I thought I read 900W...but I'm going from a full hard drive with a few bad sectors.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Even if it were 960 watts, that would only be a max draw on the 120 volt side of 8 amps.
The power cord provided can handle considerably more than 8 amps.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Right! It's semantics anyway, as I see it. I have never seen it draw more the 400-500watts with the Kill-A-Watt with 50% discharged batteries. and even then, it marches down pretty quickly as the variable charge output rate declines.