Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Airstream 290
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Well, if you *were* pulling 1,200 A into the Victron, it's one heck of a fine inverter. You got a 12 KW unit for the price of a 3KW ... lucky you. I guess that the 400A fuse being in there and not blowing was some sort of fluke. You also got some really amazing batteries to be able to source 1,200 A for as long as you did. Again, a really sharp deal on your part.

Based on what you have found (smoke) and their nonsense, I would not trust anything done by the original installer. Have somebody good go over the whole install. If that means waiting a week for a slot, wait. Also be ready to (happily) pay them a couple hundred bucks. It's not their fault it was messed up. If you get away for less, that's fine as well.

Bob
@uncle_bob: Ha! Yes, I had no idea that these components had such amazing magical powers. Northern Mobile Electric in Canton, OH, gave me the confirmed diagnosis and very nice new cables, and they're going to go over the whole install next week, as you recommended. The 400A was close to blowing, so it's been replaced too. The labor is still under warranty with the original installer, so I'm requesting reimbursement for the repairs.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaParmesan View Post

The installer's diagnosis from afar is that this is my fault. I must be drawing too much power, which is overheating the fuse, and the hot fuse is what was burning the end of the cable. They estimated I must be using 800-1,200 amps DC with surges possibly 9,000 to 12,000 Watts to cause this problem.

What a load of cods wallop.

That sort of heat requires constant high current.

Saying that, the pic certainly makes it look like the fault was between the cable and the fuse.

I've used a good old hammer lug tool for years and never seen anything like this.

Anyway, happy you have it resolved.