Old 06-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I have the same inverter and its never smoked, even when running the air conditioning off my battery. In addition to the face plate you can remove the top plate of the inverter case, perhaps you can get a better view of where the smoke is coming from that way.--Frank

Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

At 5' of cable, 4/0 should be ok. it certainly is big enough that it will not smoke running a 1.5KW load. That does not let the cabling off the hook as the source of the smoke, just the wire (the connections are still in the running). The idea that a brand new inverter sends out clouds of smoke is bunk. That goes double for a well known and respected brand. It goes at least double that when run at 1/2 the rated load. So, no this is not some sort of "expected result" running an inverter.

Backing up a bit, 3KW at 90% and 12V gets you to 275A. That's running your batteries at a discharge rate above their amp hour rating. That 200 AH rating is likely at a 10 or 20A rate. At 200A, there rating might be 120AH rather than 200AH. Simply put, your battery bank is a bit small for a 3KW inverter. It *will* drop voltage under load pretty fast. Consider tripping the number of batteries in the bank if you want to get 5 or 6 years use out of them and will be running the full or near full output on a regular basis.

Smoke generally means 451F is being approached. (Yes, it's a Sci Fi reference ... sorry about that). Normal electronics should never get above about 150F. Wire and cable - same thing. You will get steam at 220F, but that's not smoke. If it's getting hot enough to generate smoke, it *will* leave a trace. If that trace is not obvious, an infrared camera or cheap IR thermometer (< $30) will likely spot it for you. If you don't mind getting burned, poking here and there will spot it as well. BE VERY CAREFUL OF 120V LINES if you do the poke method.

My guess is it's not the inverter at all. They generally have high temperature shut down features that kill them when they go hot. I'd bet on a poorly done connection somewhere or a cable that has a deep gouge in it. A really scary thought is that it's not on the 12V side but on the 110 V side of things ... yikes !!!

Bob

Old 06-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
You do have a choice if you do not want to burn your trailer to the ground. Stop using the inverter Immediately. Find a professional to look at your system ASAP.
Best advice on the thread.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
For years we didn't know what an inverter was, I'd stop using it, now.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Your battery bank (composed of 4 6v @220Ah) will deliver 440Ah wired for 12v, not 880Ah, right? AND, discharging <50% now limits draw to 220Ah. You're asking your bank to do more than it should (which could only be managed by trimming the minutes (seconds?) of use. I wonder if you demonstrated the smoking behavior to your technician that looked it over. There is no safe circumstance where electrically generated smoke (of ANY kind) is acceptable in an RV. Your system is capable of harming you. Be cautious/get help with this.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Their battery capacity is plenty, something else is wrong here.
Larry
Old 06-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok so now I'm confused. Does the battery bank have 4 110AH 6V batteries to give 220AH as stated earlier? Does it have 4 6V T-105's at 220AH each? Is it something else entirely?

Bob
Old 06-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I also have the same unit, brand new never smoked using microwave,and also using AC. By the way, your unit is not 3000W, it's more like 2400W. The 3000 is kva, as Victron uses metric system units.

I would be very scared when using this if it smoked. Do you have proper ventilation? Can you exchange air through the closet or is it sealed. The fan on the unit alone will not cool it, unless you have fresh cool air access.

Does the smoke happen right away, or after it runs for a bit. Have you measured the temp in the closet before and after? Sounds like you may be overheating in that small space.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Airstream 290
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

At 5' of cable, 4/0 should be ok. it certainly is big enough that it will not smoke running a 1.5KW load. That does not let the cabling off the hook as the source of the smoke, just the wire (the connections are still in the running). The idea that a brand new inverter sends out clouds of smoke is bunk. That goes double for a well known and respected brand. It goes at least double that when run at 1/2 the rated load. So, no this is not some sort of "expected result" running an inverter.

Backing up a bit, 3KW at 90% and 12V gets you to 275A. That's running your batteries at a discharge rate above their amp hour rating. That 200 AH rating is likely at a 10 or 20A rate. At 200A, there rating might be 120AH rather than 200AH. Simply put, your battery bank is a bit small for a 3KW inverter. It *will* drop voltage under load pretty fast. Consider tripping the number of batteries in the bank if you want to get 5 or 6 years use out of them and will be running the full or near full output on a regular basis.

Smoke generally means 451F is being approached. (Yes, it's a Sci Fi reference ... sorry about that). Normal electronics should never get above about 150F. Wire and cable - same thing. You will get steam at 220F, but that's not smoke. If it's getting hot enough to generate smoke, it *will* leave a trace. If that trace is not obvious, an infrared camera or cheap IR thermometer (< $30) will likely spot it for you. If you don't mind getting burned, poking here and there will spot it as well. BE VERY CAREFUL OF 120V LINES if you do the poke method.

My guess is it's not the inverter at all. They generally have high temperature shut down features that kill them when they go hot. I'd bet on a poorly done connection somewhere or a cable that has a deep gouge in it. A really scary thought is that it's not on the 12V side but on the 110 V side of things ... yikes !!!

Bob
@uncle_bob: I OWE YOU A WARM SIX PACK, SIR, because I just found a half-melted connection between the 400A fuse and the battery switch. It was hidden under the fuse cover. I wrote out a long reply, went for a bike ride, then decided to poke around before posting and boom, there it was. I can't believe the guy who installed the new inverter last week didn't see it! What a relief to know the cause at last, and clearly I'm lucky not to have had a fire. I'll be getting that wire replaced pronto. Thank you Bob x1,000,000!

So now my big question is, do you think the inverter was/is/will be fine?
Old 06-25-2017, 08:40 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Airstream 290
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwclassic View Post
Your battery bank (composed of 4 6v @220Ah) will deliver 440Ah wired for 12v, not 880Ah, right? AND, discharging <50% now limits draw to 220Ah. You're asking your bank to do more than it should (which could only be managed by trimming the minutes (seconds?) of use. I wonder if you demonstrated the smoking behavior to your technician that looked it over. There is no safe circumstance where electrically generated smoke (of ANY kind) is acceptable in an RV. Your system is capable of harming you. Be cautious/get help with this.
@nwclassic: Correct, I have 4 6V Lifeline sealed AGM batteries wired in series and parallel, so it's a 12V system that can deliver 440Ah (220 usable). No, I didn't demonstrate smoking to the second tech. I did test all appliances including kettle, a/c etc. after the new unit went in, with no smoke, which is why I thought everything was hunky dory. Until the next morning trying to make coffee... Thank you for your contribution, I did find the source of the problem (bad connection) and will get it fixed pronto!!
Old 06-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Airstream 290
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I also have the same unit, brand new never smoked using microwave,and also using AC. By the way, your unit is not 3000W, it's more like 2400W. The 3000 is kva, as Victron uses metric system units.

I would be very scared when using this if it smoked. Do you have proper ventilation? Can you exchange air through the closet or is it sealed. The fan on the unit alone will not cool it, unless you have fresh cool air access.

Does the smoke happen right away, or after it runs for a bit. Have you measured the temp in the closet before and after? Sounds like you may be overheating in that small space.
@Troutboy: Thank you very much for the reply! Yes, scary indeed. I just discovered it was a bad connection, hidden under a fuse cover. It was a bit warm in the closet but nothing crazy. There is decent ventilation. That's new info about the wattage though...very glad you mentioned it. Still beats me why we aren't on the metric system too.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaParmesan View Post
So now my big question is, do you think the inverter was/is/will be fine?
Hi

You have a good brand of inverter. It should self protect (shut down) before there is damage. I would not worry about it at all.

Glad you found the problem !!!

Bob
Old 06-26-2017, 02:17 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Me, too! Your inverter is fine. Enjoy
Larry
Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Airstream 290
Los Angeles , California