Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy 2 Electrical Conundrums

Puzzle #1. First use of our new Yamaha 2000 Watt generator on our 2013 RBFC AS did not go as planned as we attempted to use it to run run our microwave (Sharp Grill 2 Convection listed as requiring 1450 W/12.5 A) yet each time we'd get an Overload light on the generator and the microwave would cut off. Why doesn't this work?

Puzzle #2. Seemingly unrelated? In Feb we replaced our dead batteries with a pair of Autocraft Starting Marine M24-1, only to soon realize that our converter had a short (perhaps the old batteries were fine) and AS replaced the converter (Parallax 7300, I believe) that seemed to function normally until now. Batteries now appear to charge appropriately either by shore power, long trip or generator, but then completely lose the charge in as little as 12 hours of minimal use. The battery water levels look OK and using a cheap hydrometer (first use of it, was I doing it correctly?) seemed to indicate that all 12 cells were similar and in a satisfactory range. Is there any explanation other than my batteries are caput after just 5 months and was I sold the right kind of battery?
cdfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
2 Electrical Conundrums

Can't address the genny problem, unless you have another 120VAC load drawing area the same time. 2000 watts should run a 1400 watt microwave.

I have some bad news about your batteries. You bought STARTING batteries where you should have purchased DEEP CYCLE batteries.

Starting batteries are good for one thing......... STARTING ENGINES. They have a different internal structure than deep cycle units and are simply not designed for that use.

If you want more usage from your batteries, get true DEEP CYCLE batteries, not marine deep cycle, marine starting or any other type........just plain old DEEP CYCLE.

I would also junk your present converter for a modern, 'smart' 3-stage converter that will properly charge your batteries. Your existing unit is incapable of proper charging due to it's single voltage constant output.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
For number 1:

If you are plugging in the shoreline of the trailer, there a certainly more loads than just the 1450 watts required by the microwave: the converter, the refer( if left in the auto mode, it switches to AC when it sees power on the shoreline). These two alone add up to more than is left of the 2000 watts the generator is making when the microwave asks for 1450.

Number Two: One should use deep cycle batteries, not starting batteries. Deep cycle batteries are designed to provide power over a longer period time. Starting batteries supply a large amount of power for a short time.

You don't mention what appliances you are running during a 12 hour period. The are just batteries and have a limited supply of power. Leaving lights on or using an AC inverter are high current draw activities, and will use up a pair of batteries in short order.

Good Luck,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A 2000 watt generator will not power the background things in your trailer and the microwave. Turn the frig to gas, the convertor off, and any other 120 volt items that you have like the TV which is always powered on.

That generator will show an over load at about 1700 watts.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
switch the water heater to gas too.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote