Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
Coupeville , Washington
2 6 volt or one deep cycle 12 volt

I have a 1957 Caravanner 22' that I am restoring and would like some opinions about the virtues of a pair of 6 volt system vs. a deep cycle 12 volt.
I'm only powering a water pump, lights, and a small fan for a composting toilet.
Thanks in advance.
ErikFrolich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFrolich View Post
I have a 1957 Caravanner 22' that I am restoring and would like some opinions about the virtues of a pair of 6 volt system vs. a deep cycle 12 volt.
I'm only powering a water pump, lights, and a small fan for a composting toilet.
Thanks in advance.
Series batteries is not a good idea.

Remember the series Christmas tree lights?

When one bulb went out, the rest followed.

Same with batteries.

Use 2 parallel 12 volt batteries. When one goes out, your still in business. Not so, with series batteries.

Also, series batteries must be exactly the same, so that they would charge equally well.

Again, not true with parallel batteries.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
The issue with 12 volt systems is always, "how many amps do I need". Are you going to be boondocking for several days on a regular basis or will most of your camping be at campgrounds with electric hookups? Each person has different plans but the bottom line is always, how many amps of power will I need between charges. The answer to that determines how much battery capacity that you need. 2 6volt golf carts batteries will have more amp hours than a small 12 volt. A group 31 size deep cycle 12 V has more amp hours than a group 27 size 12 volt. Judging from what you said you will be running I would think you would be fine with a single battery. It would be much lighter and take less space and be easier to wire than 2 6 volts. I have a single group 27 deep cycle in my Trade Wind and it does fine for a couple of days. I have replace some of the 12V bulbs in my light fixtures with LED's and that really saves power. While you are considering your 12 volt system, make sure you have a good converter. The newer "smart" converters will charge and maintain your battery much better than the old univolts. Randy as BestConverters.com is a great source for info and he won't steer you wrong in recommending a converter for your application.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
I used 2-6v bats the intermal plates are thicker than the 12 v and will give beter life.
Changed all light bulbs to LED's, that lowered demand by 3/4 (be kind to your bat)
Added solar to keep up charge (100 watt with small charge controler)
The nice thing is bat stays full in the lot and ready to go.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Do we have a golf cart or an Airstream?

Some opinion's will vary.

Bob
Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
I used 2-6v bats the intermal plates are thicker than the 12 v and will give beter life.
Changed all light bulbs to LED's, that lowered demand by 3/4 (be kind to your bat)
Added solar to keep up charge (100 watt with small charge controler)
The nice thing is bat stays full in the lot and ready to go.
If you have the space and can handle the weight and boondock a lot definitely 2 6 volt golf cart batteries.
I have yet to get more than 4 years service out of a 12 volt deep cycle battery.
My 2 6 volt golf cart batteries will be 10 years old in june. I am sure the capacity is diminished but still seems to be adequate.

Andy's point about dropping back to one 12 volt if one of 2 in parallel fails is valid, however if that happened I would just disconnect the batteries in the coach and run small loads from the truck until I could get to the battery store. Batteries are available most anywhere.

We do charge with solar and never float the battery from 110 charger which may have contributed to the long life. Also use only distilled water.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt