Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #1

1983 31' Excella
Santa Cruz , California
1983 Excella's power system needs help and I need advice

Thank you for reading this:
We bought this airstream last year, and everything was in working order.
Now we have the following problems:
1. When we run our 5000 watt generator the lights flicker and several more delicate electronics do not work. I tried running an extension cable directly from the generator to the devices and they work fine this way. I do not know whether the problem is likely the old plug connection to the trailer, the breaker box, or something else.
2. It appears that we need to replace our converter charger, but I am not sure. We are unable to charge our batteries via the generator, and no power registers from the cables that run to the batteries and charge them.
3. if we decide to get a new converter charger, I do not know what size power load to get. The breaker box over the existing converter reads 30 amps and lower for fuses. Can I get a heavier duty converter, say 45 amp?
4. We appear to have the original breaker boxes installed, should we go ahead and change them for new ones?
We really appreciate your help.
MJ and the Airdogs, Noel and Bella
mudfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
How does everything work when you are plugged into city electric, and not your generator?
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote