Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #1

1976 Argosy 28
Waverly , Ohio
1976 Argosy 28 Brake lights, turn signals, running lights not working!!!

I have recently aquired a 1976 Argosy 28. We are in the process of cleaning it up from the 10 + years it has sat in a barn. I have no complaints everything works like new. However I cannot for the life of me get the towing lights to work. I have tried everything from new bulbs to checking the 7 pin connector and that is where I have found a mishap. There was only 3 wires connected in the connector. They werent on the right color code as posted on the connector. Does anyone have a wiring diagrahm for this model that tells what colors go to what so that I can further trouble shoot the problem. The big thick blue and white wire werent event connected to anything. I appreciate any help in this matter as I am about to pull my hair out I have a spectacular vintage camper ready to camp and Im grounded at home lol. Thanks.
Argosy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1976 Argosy 28 Brake lights, turn signals, running lights not working!!!

Greetings Argosy1976!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy1976 View Post
However I cannot for the life of me get the towing lights to work. I have tried everything from new bulbs to checking the 7 pin connector and that is where I have found a mishap. There was only 3 wires connected in the connector. They werent on the right color code as posted on the connector. Does anyone have a wiring diagrahm for this model that tells what colors go to what so that I can further trouble shoot the problem.
Airstream and Argosy had their own unique interpretation of the wiring schematic and color coding for the Bargman trailer connector during the 1960s through the 1980s. The wiring colors did not conform to the standardized color/function relationships that we have come to expect today, and the wiring pattern of the plug was also not in accordance with today's standard either. The attached pdf file has the OEM factory color codes and wiring pattern, but your coach could be wired to almost any pattern . . . when preparing to tow an unfamiliar Vintage coach, I usually take a garden tractor battery and verify the function of each wire on the trailer and connect it to the terminal that corresponds to that function on my tow vehicle. I hope that the pdf file helps to explain the Bargman connector wiring on your Argosy.

Kevin

P.S.: The owners' manual has the original Bargman connector wiring diagrams as well as other helpful information. If your coach didn't come with its owners' manual, you can purchase one from the Airstream factory online store.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7wayplug1966-81.pdf (9.0 KB, 333 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Here's the relevant page from my '75 manual. Hope it's helpful.

Note that the colors are likely to be different than a modern tow vehicle, and the pattern almost definitely is different. The previous owner of mine rewired his truck to match the Argosy, which is a backwards way of doing it IMHO. So, just use this as a guide to what the wires on the Argosy side are doing but arrange them in the modern 7-pin format.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The color codes on the Argosy's and AS's of that era was a little different from the flat pin connectors common today. I am sorry that I am traveling with my Argosy right now, and don't have a manual with me showing the correct colors, but if you search the threads you will find them. AS used the same color codes as the Argosy.

Large white is negative or "ground" and large black is + 12 volts from the battery and to the tow vehicle charge line. Other than that, my mind is a blank right now. You could take a battery charger or battery and connect the - to the white line and the positive to each of the other wires in turn. You then will find the running, rt stop, left stop, backup and the one with the largest spark, the brakes. They should be taking about 3 amps per wheel.

Someone who has the info at hand might post it if possible.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I used a 7-way tester, a small battery charger, a jumper light, and a small multi meter to test and configure the trailer lights at the 7-way.

I had running light problems and no back up lights. I replaced all the clearance lights with LED sealed lights. I replaced all the bulbs in the back lights, polished all the sockets, and reattached a few grounds. While I was at it I replaced all the light lenses.

The 7-way grounds I twisted together, fluxed them and soldered them together with my map gas torch. I tested everything at the 7-way plug with the cord unattached. I tested the cord on the bench. I tested the tow vehicle with the 7-way tester.

When I put it together, I had two wires crossed in the cord end. I reversed those two and everything worked. I have three other trailers and I wanted everything to work on a standard 7-way plug. Any standard 7-way tow vehicle will be ready to go with any of my trailers.

My approach was not to chase problems. I replaced, and repaired everything and it all worked when I was done.

This picture was the plan I used on my trailer.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Here's the relevant page from my '75 manual. Hope it's helpful.

Note that the colors are likely to be different than a modern tow vehicle, and the pattern almost definitely is different. The previous owner of mine rewired his truck to match the Argosy, which is a backwards way of doing it IMHO. So, just use this as a guide to what the wires on the Argosy side are doing but arrange them in the modern 7-pin format.
As you can see in this diagram, wires from trailer color codes, do not match up to tow vehicle color codes. An example, Blue on the trailer is the charge line, but Blue from the tow vehicle is trailer brakes. If you disregard colors, and just wire as the above, I think it will all work, just like it did on my '75 Argosy.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #7

1976 Argosy 28
Waverly , Ohio
Thanks

Well I would like to announce that with the help of everyone, I correctly troubleshot the wiring issue with my 1976 Argosy 28 and got the lights working. It was a faulty ground wire that was not connected inside the plug properly. Once this was taken apart and I touched it to the ground pin on my truck and touched the signals to the corrosponding pins they lit up like a christmas tree. I want to thank everyone for their help as this was starting to become a real headache as most wiring issues do. Now the camper will soon be camp ready and me and the wife will be enjoying it!! Thanks again.
Argosy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote