Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
1974 Sovereign 12 volt battery pigtail

I would like to purchase the 12 volt positive & negative pigtail including the attached battery post clamps that hooks up the trailer battery to the two prong plug -in disconnect that is located in the outside battery box of my 1974 Sovereign. Also I am looking for the retaining webbing strap with grommets that secures the battery in the battery box. I would like to find replacement keys for the outside lockable compartmets of my trailer. It's a Chicago key blank with the numbers 1101X . To my knowledge, this key is used throughout the early 70's Airstream models as it was used on two previous Airstreams I've owned (1972 & 1973). I haven't been able to locate a locksmith who has the blank. Please direct me to a supplier where these items may be purchased. Thank you.
Tom Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Don't know about the battery items, but the key is available for Out of Doors mart: Locks & Keys : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!. Bought one and it was a direct fit for the outside hatch locks on our '72.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamock View Post
I would like to purchase the 12 volt positive & negative pigtail including the attached battery post clamps that hooks up the trailer battery to the two prong plug -in disconnect that is located in the outside battery box of my 1974 Sovereign. Also I am looking for the retaining webbing strap with grommets that secures the battery in the battery box. I would like to find replacement keys for the outside lockable compartmets of my trailer. It's a Chicago key blank with the numbers 1101X . To my knowledge, this key is used throughout the early 70's Airstream models as it was used on two previous Airstreams I've owned (1972 & 1973). I haven't been able to locate a locksmith who has the blank. Please direct me to a supplier where these items may be purchased. Thank you.
That battery cable was discontinued some 30 years ago.

There was way to many problems with the connector.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Simple Solution

I take it that the outside battery box is an extra battery. I use an extra battery carried in the back of my TV. I made up a cable using a 7 pin female connector (like the one on the TV). Just wired up the ground/common pin and the charge line pin. Connected the other end of the cable to the battery (marine deep cycle) using crimp on eyelets. I simply unplug the umbilical cord from the TV and plug it into the extra battery connector.
When I'm driving the TV around without the trailer, I simply plug the extra battery into the TV receptacle using another cable I made up with a male connector (like the one on the trailer) on each end. I just plug into the TV (where the trailer would normally connect) and to the receptacle for the extra battery. Therefore charging the extra battery while driving.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, sovereign