Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
1966 Overlander Fuse Box Diagram

I'll have a follow up question related to this post, but in my research on making a conversion from Univolt to a Progressive Dynamics Converter, I didn't see any good diagrams of the fusebox connections.

So here is one that shows what everything is on this particular model.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966_AS_Fusebox2.jpg
Views:	2472
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	230778  
JitneyBead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I am making switch from the Univolt to the Progressive Dynamics Converter and also adding the 12vDC fusebox purchased at Vintage Trailer Supply.
(As you read, please make these assumptions - I know the wiring in the pics is bad, they will be replaced. And I have accurately installed the converter to the 110v shore power breakerbox via a new receptacle. The receptacle, the converter, the battery and the fuse panel will all be grounded to the trailer. I know that the only connection to the TV wiring circuits is the blue wire.)

As others have pointed out - the old Univolt had one white (-) terminal and two positive (+) terminals - one labeled Battery which is a blue wire. This is the "charge" line. The other labeled Load which is a red wire.
As you'll notice on the included fusebox wiring image I've attached above that there is only one + terminal out of the PD. I too have the PD9245 model which has only one + terminal.

Firstly - did I get the wrong converter, since the 45amp 9245 only has one terminal, while the others in that family seem to have more than one +?

My question(s):
1) Should I just replicate the original set up - including the 4-bus fuses - and attach the new fuse box to the existing fusebox?
1a) If I replicate the original, FROM the new converter, do I connect the original Red load, the original Blue Battery, or combine both Red and Blue out of the converter and into their respective posts on the old box?

2) If I (instead of using the original diagram and fusebox), decide to follow the fusebox wiring included from vintage supply included below, then where in that diagram do I attach the blue charge line that is in the wall from the converter? And where do I attach the blue line from the TV?
2a) Put another way, if I only have one line coming out from the converter, how do I both charge the battery and supply 12v power when connected to shore?

Any help in sorting this out will be appreciated.
Jitney

Old 01-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

Referring to your notes 2 and 2a:
one of the blue charge lines is from the battery.
It will connect to the top of the fuse panel (red arrow ). Any of the three terminals. NOTE the circuit breaker (or fuse) in the wire going to the battery.
The second blue wire will go to one of the remaining top (red arrow) terminals on the fuse panel.
The converter will attach to the remaining (red arrow) terminal as shown in the drawing.
All three of the (red arrow) terminals on the top of the drawing are connected to a buss bar which supplies power to one side of all of the fuses.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
one of the blue charge lines is from the battery.
Are you sure about that? One of the blue wires comes FROM the old univolt and connects TO the battery in the photo I've included. The other blue wire comes from the TV battery.

What I'm reading into your comment is that the three DC input terminals on top - the three red arrows point to the bus - should connect to the red wire from the converter, the blue TV battery and the blue charge line. The other end of the blue charge line is coming directly from the battery?

Not dumb, just confused.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

The battery shown in the drawing is the house (trailer) battery.
In order for the converter to charge said battery it must be connected to the converter red + wire. Via the buss. The converter will also supply power to the trailer. Via the buss.
The charge line must be connected to the buss in order that the TV will charge the house battery when connected and running.
In order for the house battery to provide power to the trailer it must be connected to the fuse panel via the buss.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Eureka

Thank you for the clarification. I also reached out to Steve at Vintage Trailer and he gave me this little insight that got me over the hump. I was really focusing too much on a wire-for-wire swap out. Here's what Steve wrote that made sense to me.
To get this started, I encourage you to disregard and eliminate the battery from your thinking. Unlike the old Univolt that relied on the battery for voltage regulation, the new converters do not. So to begin your thinking, imagine a system without a house battery. You will attach the battery at the very end...directly to the fuse box and not directly to the converter.

All sources of 12v power go to the positive lugs (common buss) on the fuse box. Your converter, your solar, your tow line all go to the positive lugs.

So now with that thinking, I understand what goes where and I realize the shortcomings of the standard fusebox drawing as it applies to MY situation. (Your situation may be different.)
To that end, I have made my own fusebox diagram that (I humbly think) better illustrates exactly how to install the new converter and new 9 fusebus into this 1966 Overlander.

Here is my new drawing. I open the floor to comments and suggestions.
Thanks,
JitneyBead
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fuseboxwiringdiagram_updated.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	230854  
Old 01-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You are correct. The picture is worth a thousand words. Don't forget to fuse the battery positive lead.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
Bus wires - 4 screws but 5 wires ?

Great post on the fuse panel . It's really helped me a lot !!! Mine is just about the same lay out as yours.
I was wondering what to do with the WHITE ground wires - On the new Fuse Box there's only 4 connections that have screws - then 2 more without screws BUT I have 5 WHITE wires that need to connect there ?
3 12 volt
1 converter
1 battery = 5 and there's only 4 screw terminals and the 2 outer holes ( not sure what those are for - as there are no screws )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new fuse panel.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	233451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC PANEL 65 AIRSTREAM JERRY DIXON.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	233452  

Rocker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I'll post a updated pic of the finished install, but basically you have to stuff all of the ground/neg into the limited four slots. The outer holes as you refer to them are not actually terminals, they are the rivet holes that attach the groundbank to the fusebox unit.

It doesn't matter really how you configure them, but I think I put the three white 12v circuit grounds into the same hole. Which left me three ground terminals for the new converter, the battery and the trailer ground.

I'll post updated picture later, I actually used the existing fuse box with the new box screwed inside of it.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
Excellent ..Wasn't sure if it was ok to double or triple up on those wires.. But now I know

Would love to see your pictures !!

THANKS.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Final panel pics

I'm finally getting around to post pics of my install from this project.

In short, I decided to repurpose the existing fuse panel because that was easier than relocating a new panel. I drilled out the rivets of the old fuse bus on the panel, used tin snips to remove some materials, and then screwed in the new fuse bus to the old panel.

From there it was just a matter of make sure the wires were routed to the right terminals and would not rub.

Let me know if you have any questions.

OH, and the install went fine with the new converter: lights go on, battery charges, etc. Should last many miles.

JitneyBead
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150302_1513334.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	233458   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150302_1514204.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	233459  

Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
What a great idea to use the old panel as a base ( I'm going to borrow that
Is this the correct kill switch to disconnect the batteries when needed ? I'm not sure exactly what you have in the top left of your diagram.

Where did you mount your charger and batteries ?

THANKS AGAIN
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	233472  
Old 03-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I didn't install any kind of kill switch at the batteries. Seems unnecessary since the charger converter should monitor for overcharging. Any work I need to do on the batteries, I'll just unplug the converter from the outlet and disconnect the negative post.

As for locations, I put the charger converter in the same location as the univolt. The battery is a bit unsorted because I need to build a sturdy base to the right of the toilet. I have it just sitting there for the time being but need a secure base before rolling on the road.

Probably not the answer you wanted but that's where I am.
Jitney
Old 03-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Henderson , Nevada
Ok cool , I thought maybe that's what you had in the top left of your diagram. I was wanting a switch to shut everything down in case a light or something was left on by mistake. All Good !! Time to crawl into the old Univolt hole
Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
It appears you folks did the same project I did. I must say I was rather disappointed in the fuse panel I purchased. It was too small for the wire size of a 12v, 30 amp system. That 4 post ground buss is just not big enough. And I found the clamp screws kinda cheap. I couldn't get them tight enough without stripping out the drive square. The whole thing works, it just was not as robust as I wanted.

I tried my patience getting all the wiring stuffed in there.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1405 Electrical  New Fuse Panel.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	233519  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker66 View Post
Ok cool , I thought maybe that's what you had in the top left of your diagram. I was wanting a switch to shut everything down in case a light or something was left on by mistake. All Good !! Time to crawl into the old Univolt hole
Ahhh... I see what you mean. That is the hard circuit breaker, not a cut off switch.
It is installed between the battery and the fuse box (on the positive side) within 18inches of the battery terminal. You can get them at practically any RV store or automotive supply. Here is one from vintagetrailer
12V Circuit Breaker 50A
Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Hi David,

I can see what you mean by the wire gauge being beefier than the panel is ideal for. We've yet to find a 12v panel beefier, though. If you find something, let us know. As you noted, it can be made to work and at this point I believe it is the best option available. We've looked at a couple marine style fuse boxes but they are more compact and we find that they don't have enough lugs on the positive bus.

As for the ground bus.... a lot of people do not run all their load grounds back. Airstreams were usually two-wire systems and sometimes one-wire systems. For people who have more circuits than can be accommodated in this box, we offer this bus bar add-on.
DC Buss Bar

Thanks for you business and let me know if you have additional suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
It appears you folks did the same project I did. I must say I was rather disappointed in the fuse panel I purchased. It was too small for the wire size of a 12v, 30 amp system. That 4 post ground buss is just not big enough. And I found the clamp screws kinda cheap. I couldn't get them tight enough without stripping out the drive square. The whole thing works, it just was not as robust as I wanted.

I tried my patience getting all the wiring stuffed in there.

David
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Steve, my goodness, I didn't expect to see you here. I'm embarrassed I was griping about my fuse panel. Some of my difficulty stemmed from my decision to mount my fuse panel high on the wall close to the 115v breaker box. I wanted my electrical in one place, and in the medicine cabinet in my Trade Wind. That gave me easy access, and allowed more outside storage room in the back of the trailer.

Heck, you folks could design and fabricate your own fuse panel! Vintage has provided so many "old Airstream" parts that fit perfectly. There is a lot of them in my 66 Trade Wind project and I have the receipts to prove it! I would like a fuse panel with about 2" more width, and a size bigger buss bar with at least 10-32 screws and maybe consider 1/4-20.

Airstream fabricated their own fuse panel back in 66. It took up a lot of room, but there was a lot of room to run the wires.

Thanks for your reply,

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1311 12v Fuse Panel.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	234010  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #19
Vintage Trailer Supply
Commercial Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Montpelier , Vermont
Thumbs up New Custom Fuse Box

David... We're all learning. Vintage Trailer Supply has only succeeded because of smart, kind and assertive customers like yourself.

I like your idea of developing a new panel. We'd have some safety certification issues to work through....not something I take lightly. But I'll add it to the pipeline!
WBCCI #1573
VintageRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1966, 1966 overlander